What does wp8.1 have that iOS and android do not ?

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Honestly?, nothing. I can duplicate everything that WP8.1 does on my Note 3, from the notifications to the UI, lockscreen, etc. I can make my Android look like a Windows Phone and behave like one anytime and with more and better options. And I know some people will say.. 'oh but Android lags so much', well not anymore KitKat is very smooth and with the Note 3 specs 'Lag' is not an issue. Oh. one thing WP8.1 has that Android does not? a crappy Facebook app, lack of apps. WP8 app gap is closing but not fast enough.

I'm not an Android fan, I have been using Windows phone since the Lumia 900 and I had the 920, 1020, 925 and 1520. All great devices but the truth is the app gap still hunting WP, that is just my personal experience. For someone that has found all the apps he/she use in WP then there is no reason to go with iOS or Android, for me I can not get over the lack of official Facebook, WatchESPN, Time Warner Cable, NBA Gametime and official Youtube app with screen mirroring support and some others.

Once the Preview is out I will be getting a 1520 for sure to give it a test drive for a month or so...

jiovine

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
The big feature for myself as a parent is Family Safety - parental controls. Parental controls that span all windows platforms from one administrative panel. I can limit time of day access, daily limits, purchases controls, application and website access. This was huge to me in trying to monitor and be an active parent in my 'tween's online experience.
Windows also eliminates the one person to one device dilemma you face with lack of profiles on IOS Devices. Android lacks native parental controls where as Windows has it native.

IOS is definitely not parental control friendly. No method to restrict child from setting passwords or even receive reporting regarding where your child is spending time on line.

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
one thing WP8 has that Android does not, a limit on what I can download when not connected to wifi. That is one thing I really, really, really hate about iOS and WP8, if I need to download a big app and I'm on the road not near any wifi hotspot I'm basically doom. I understand that not everybody has unlimited data, but WP should at least have a setting to turn that off for at least a one time download or something like that. At least in iOS there is a hack to bypass that, but in WP there is no way.

AadarshGreat

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Features W.P. Android IOS

1.Typing Fastest Fast Fast

2.Xbox. Yes No. No

3.FB (contact) Yes. No. No

4.Camera Best. Good Avg

5.Battery. Best. Worst Good

6.Cortona. Yes. No. No

7.Ms Office. Best. No. Ok

8.Personality Best No. No

9.Apps ( 8.1). Best Best Best

10.Lockscreen(8.1) Best Ok Ok

11.Pandora( ads) No Yes. Yes

12.Apps Sd Card Yes. Yes. No

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
For the large majority of users every OS offers the basic same features. What you choose is a matter of preference (what feels best for you), peer pressure and ecosystem lock (I know people who won't change platforms because they bought lots of apps).

Ecosystem bit is extremely important. That's what Microsoft whole strategy is and probably why a lot of you guys wouldn't switch among other reasons. I'm in both ecosystems and I can wither use WP or Android this year when I get a new phone.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Mark section

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
one thing WP8 has that Android does not, a limit on what I can download when not connected to wifi. That is one thing I really, really, really hate about iOS and WP8, if I need to download a big app and I'm on the road not near any wifi hotspot I'm basically doom. I understand that not everybody has unlimited data, but WP should at least have a setting to turn that off for at least a one time download or something like that. At least in iOS there is a hack to bypass that, but in WP there is no way.
i think except apps you can download every thing over 100mb..

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Honestly?, nothing. I can duplicate everything that WP8.1 does on my Note 3, from the notifications to the UI, lockscreen, etc. I can make my Android look like a Windows Phone and behave like one anytime and with more and better options. And I know some people will say.. 'oh but Android lags so much', well not anymore KitKat is very smooth and with the Note 3 specs 'Lag' is not an issue. Oh. one thing WP8.1 has that Android does not? a crappy Facebook app, lack of apps. WP8 app gap is closing but not fast enough.

I'm not an Android fan, I have been using Windows phone since the Lumia 900 and I had the 920, 1020, 925 and 1520. All great devices but the truth is the app gap still hunting WP, that is just my personal experience. For someone that has found all the apps he/she use in WP then there is no reason to go with iOS or Android, for me I can not get over the lack of official Facebook, WatchESPN, Time Warner Cable, NBA Gametime and official Youtube app with screen mirroring support and some others.

Once the Preview is out I will be getting a 1520 for sure to give it a test drive for a month or so...

screenshot or it didnt happen

monso0n

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site

2.Xbox. Yes No. No

4.Camera Best. Good Avg

6.Cortona. Yes. No. No

This is biased BS. The "Cortona" part killed me. No, there's no such thing as Siri or Google Now.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

There is a way to bypass this but not always ready available for everyone.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
O really???
Half of my apps on my s4 got corrupted due to kitkat.

Consisting KitKat broke a lot of SD card functions I am not surprised. Google is trying to move away from external storage yet we just had 128GB microsd cards available and all the android flagships this year have support for external storage.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

2.Xbox. Yes No. No

4.Camera Best. Good Avg

6.Cortona. Yes. No. No

You might need to fact check this real quick.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Looks nothing like WP except for the fact it has square blocks.. Show me animated tiles and the people hub tile animating your contact photos. Show me a randomly animated lockscreen opening in different ways. Show me notifications on lockscreen..

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The most important difference for me is the synergy between the desktop, laptop, tablet and phone ecosystem. You don't have that with either Apple or Android. You can take most the apps and put them in a mayonnaise jar for all I care. Give me function and something that looks great...that would be WP.

Can you explain how you use this synergy in real life? I know that there is SUPPOSED to be synergy between all three but in my reality there is not that much useful synergy... In my opinion Android EASILY takes the cake on this followed by Apple...

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone doesn't have a large group of consumers who buy a new phone, which is the same as the model before, just because there is a fingerprint reader or it costs $100 less. Windows phones also aren't the same as a previous model and don't have fingerprint readers. Both of which I like about WP.

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Wow. So the recent iterations of android did not make any differences?

Seriously. Android is the only other system I would go to... albeit I would have to go with a Nexus device or the OnePlus One phone to get rid of all the bloatware... But seriously - Android's services and offerings are so well connected to one another that, for me, it is a huge huge draw... Just waiting to give WP another shot with WP8.1 (and I sincerely hope it keeps me attracted to WP because Android is becoming more attractive all the time)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes