What does wp8.1 have that iOS and android do not ?

BytorJr

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I used to have AT&T, but they irritated me by trying to charge me $40 for a SIM card to replace mine (I was thinking it was going faulty). Anyway, VZW at least gets voice calls and text at work which at times can be critical. Nowhere I've worked in the last 6 years did AT&T penetrate the building well. However, I dumped AT&T back in 2011; so maybe there coverage has gotten better.

Everywhere else VZW worked well and still does. Maybe I should switch jobs ;). Don't particularly like Chatham county anyway.

eusaphzai

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
right on brother. i was an android fan boy for 4 years till i got myself a nexus 5, 2 months in search of a more pure android experience (i was on samsung plastic all these years....s1-s4). well the nexus 5 actually helped my decision to jump ship from android. kit kat is broken. i really dont care about 800K apps on google playstore. i primarily use my phone for work and the 1520 is the best business phone one can have. plus it has a killer camera.....

Septiformus

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Just a quick correction, the hardware is not the only thing that matters when it comes to camera technology. The image algorithms is also a huge part. It's one of the reasons why different phones vary in quality even though a lot of them use Sony's lenses or why two phones can have comparable megapixel counts but one has a clear advantage with photos.
I did not elaborate correctly. You are correct that it's a combination of the hardware / software, but just stating that the camera is best because it's WP 8.1 makes no sense. How do you think that WP 8.1 on a Nokia 521 will look compared to Android on a Galaxy S5?

Honest question, what Android phone records in DD 5.1? That's impressive as hell IMO and I never knew phones were even attempting to do this until I read about the 930.
He didn't specify recording. I thought he was talking about playback. I apologize if I misunderstood

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
One thing I can not do with a windows phone: Watching the NBA playoffs live. iOS and Androd both have apps to watch NBA Playoffs (WatchESPN, WatchTNT, TNTOvertime, WatchABC and Skyfire browser for when you need to watch it on a 'Flash' site.

killerb255

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I know this is thread necromancy, but I think this topic is relevant (and continues to be until Microsoft and app developers make this question a lot easier to answer).

If marketing, sales, and even us passionate fans have to REACH to find features in WP8.1 that iOS and Android do not have, that's a problem.

I can think of only three features (not abstracts like "aura" or other BS) that WP8.1 has that iOS/Android does not have:

1) Live Tiles (that's the obvious one)

2) The People Hub with its social networking integration

3) A handset with a 41mp camera.

Am I missing anything? If this were three years ago, we could list stability, but this is 2014. Android is past the days of Samsung Galaxy S l models with Gingerbread and frequent lock-ups.

So UNLESS and UNTIL Microsoft provides a PLETHORA of killer AAA features that iOS and Android could never even dream of having, people are not going to abandon their Apple or Google ecosystems, re-purchase all their apps, and switch.

Last edited:

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
An official Facebook client that doesn't shove ads down your throat, or demand read and write access to your text messages before it will install?

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
My sarcastic answer would be: "A useable OS!!!"
My truthful answer would be: "A fluid and useable OS!!!"

All the 'eye candy' in the world cannot hide the fact that these two grandaddies are showing their age, whatever you may think. WP IS the future, that is why a few of the WP ways of doing things have found their way onto iOS and Android... Mmmmm, strange!!!!!

Keep the faith!!!!

deru1ke

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
nothing...and im serious.i guess i just like the tiles,the original ones, not the ones from Google play 🎭 store. but hey that launcher is fluid and usable too.

killerb255

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
An official Facebook client that doesn't shove ads down your throat, or demand read and write access to your text messages before it will install?

Is that really a killer AAA feature? Is that alone enough to get Average Joe and Average Jane to switch?

My truthful answer would be: "A fluid and useable OS!!!"

This isn't 2011 anymore. Android has caught up in making its OS fluid, for the most part. Microsoft could have capitalized on Android being slow and bloated back then when they had a chance...but they didn't.

Seriously guys. Try answering the question without scraping the bottom of the barrel.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Is that really a killer AAA feature? Is that alone enough to get Average Joe and Average Jane to switch?

This isn't 2011 anymore. Android has caught up in making its OS fluid, for the most part. Microsoft could have capitalized on Android being slow and bloated back then when they had a chance...but they didn't.

Seriously guys. Try answering the question without scraping the bottom of the barrel.

People are not going to switch for something that is a little better or "subjectively" better. They have an investment of time and money into their current ecosystem (on iOS or Android that could be in the hundreds of dollars when you consider iBooks, Google Books, Movies for either platform and especially paid apps). For me personally I own 3 current Android devices (and one price provides apps for all three platforms including the fact that I have used 3 different Android phones). I certainly wouldn't want to go to WP8 and have to pay separately for the Windows Phone 8 app and then the Windows 8 app - I know universal apps are coming but they're not there yet. While most Fanboys on this site put down iOS or Android for various shortfalls (unstable, laggy, boring, not as good as WP8, etc) for most people (me included) I don't see those various shortfalls in my personal use. It's really hard to see WP8 making some leap forward from its 3-4% market share in the US. While it is doing quite well in some regions or countries it has hit a plateau in the US.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2