Move to a larger SD card with minimal pain?

chewfat

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering how much pain is involved if I were to replace my current SD card with a larger one? Now that 8.1 allows you to store apps on the SD card, it may pay to get the largest card possible. Hopefully there is a way other than having to reinstall everything. Thanks.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'd just temporarily move apps back to the phone if possible because of encryption.

Not completely sure you can clone over a new card with your files from the existing card from say a PC copy application.
Music and media is just a simple syncing operation or copy using a desktop.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
If you have apps already installed to your current microSD, I would take Guytronic's advice and move them back to the phone. As far as everything else, I just did this and it's simple.
1. Put OLD microSD in computer and copy all information over. (make sure you are viewing hidden files just to be sure)
2. Put NEW microSD in the phone to so that it can be formatted for the phone.
3. Put NEW microSD in the computer and move everything onto it.

That's it, this worked for everything including my maps that I had stored on the microSD and Xbox Music downloads.

aniket0303

Banned
Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
If you have apps already installed to your current microSD, I would take Guytronic's advice and move them back to the phone. As far as everything else, I just did this and it's simple.
1. Put OLD microSD in computer and copy all information over. (make sure you are viewing hidden files just to be sure)

That's it, this worked for everything including my maps that I had stored on the microSD and Xbox Music downloads.
Maps??? How did you transfer maps on sd card?

chewfat

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

Thanks, it worked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon