Is there a real "app gap"?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The "app gap" really depends on what you need. If your new to a smart phone, Windows Phone will do great for you, if you just deal with social networking, again, Windows Phone will do for you. All depends on your needs.

The biggest problem is, Windows Phone is not in the running for the big apps unless it seems MS pays them off or creates the app themselves. Look over games, come on ANY of the big titles on the "other" OS's would run fine on a modern Windows Phone device but, IF we get them, it's 6-8 months later. Come on, we are already 3 versions of Cut the rope behind, Candy Crush ? if you want a knock off... Think about the top 10 games on other OS's, that are fairly new, I would bet we MIGHT have 1 or 2 of them...

Then you have the apps that people would like, things that Android and iOS users get and tons of them. Like Local apps (your local TV, radio, stores apps), How about TV providers ? Got a Comcast app ? Hmmm... How about Dish Network sling app ? Hmmmm.... How about Directv ? Hmmmmm... How about bank apps (sure the big ones, yea but, smaller banks. They have iOS apps but, never heard of Windows Phone).

Never Mind Bank of a America for example, Watch their commercials on tv or radio...Note when they show their Mobile apps, they ONLY list Android and iOS even though they have a very nice Windows Phone app.

For the OP who asked this question, No question, there is STILL a major "app gap"....it's getting better, sure but, it's got a really long way to go...

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it's less of an app gap (except in the gaming space) and more of a feature gap, where the Windows Phone equivalents of Android/iOS apps are at best lagging behind or at worst not supported/updated at all. It stinks of developers just pushing apps out to say "Yes, we have a fecking WP app, stop asking" then leaving it to rot.

As Joe says though, it's a marathon rather than a sprint, and closing the app gap is progress. Once all the major players are on board I'm sure Microsoft will begin pushing towards having version equality across the top three platforms.

Stephen Pedersen

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
But to WP8's defense, it's in it's digital infancy compared to Android and iOS. Microsoft has to tantalize these companies that creates these apps to come on board with WP AND keep the official apps updated.
Its like a vicious circle:
Apps aren't made for windows phones because there aren't nearly as many wp users as there are iPhone and Android users.
People aren't flocking to WP because there isn't really a lot of apps.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
There's no "app gap" per se but there's actually a problem with developers bringing in updates to some of the major apps like Spotify for example.

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
As much as I love WP I am not blind enough to not admit there is still an app issue. My 14 year old daughter with a Lumia 521 reminds me of this all the time. Her friends on iOS and Android tell her of apps all the time and she can't get them or the ones we have are horrible such as Kik. However I am not buying a 14 year old a $600-$800 phone just so she can play the latest game or app fad. A $80.00 Lumia 521 and the $30 a month T-mobile plan is a fantastic value. Yes there is an app issue but there are also big advantages going with Windows Phone that kind of make up for it.

buy her a used iphone 4 or 4s for $100. her friends probably make fun of her and that's a big deal at 14-15 yr old.
Anyone ever make fun of you in school when you were a kid? it's not fun. Her friends most likely just think you (and her) are poor.

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
If android is buggy or laggy I wonder why people stick on with it.:-:)o:what:

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

That was true back in 2007-2009. That is NOT the case anymore. The Only modern phone that lags is the Galaxy S4, but that is Touchwiz that samesung added, not android 4.4.2
Get a Nexus 5 and show me lag. You can't because it doesn't lag.

Jeff Merritt1

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
There is an app gap and I'm not even a poweruser. I have Instagram, Oggl, Facebook, and a few other photo editing apps...and YES I do have Flipboard...it's beta but it works. I use my phone for everything and while admittedly there are some cool apps on iOS or Android...WP 8.1 doesn't leave me wanting. I have everything I need. If I needed other apps, (some I'm not even aware of) I'd switch and that isn't going to happen anytime soon. I love WP my wife loves it and we're a happy family.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
A few apps that I use very frequently on my iPhone:
Google Maps
Grocery IQ
Spotify (please don't even count the current WP app)
Bible (WP version doesn't allow offline use)
Amazon Instant Video
Netflix (no user profiles)
Pepperplate
Infinite Flight
Fail Hard
Fit it
Amazon Cloud Player
AnyConnect

I'm tired already. Doesn't sound like an app gap? Please

Adam Fox2

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I think it all depends on what you are looking for. There are a few apps missing, but they are not all needed....sure iOS and Android have over 600,000 apps each, but how many of those are fart apps, "gag" apps (like fool your friends into thinking your screen is broken) and just plain worthless (the "Official" Flappy Birds was bad enough, but since its been removed, there has been TONS of clones made for it)....

However, with that being said, there is just no real excuse for. Like YouTube, there is no legit reason for the Windows Phone devices to NOT have a proper YouTube client. Not some 3rd party pay app, but a REAL program by Google. For the longest time, Windows Phone didn't even have an official Instagram app, you had a 3rd party one that you couldn't even sign up for Instagram with, requiring you to have access to Android or iOS to even sign up for it.

For alot of people, Windows Phone may be perfectly fine for them. The icons are bright and vibrant, they are easy to use and can be bought second-hand very cheaply compared to a second-hand iOS or Android. Heck, even the Lumia 520 launched at only $99 (that's the one I have). HOWEVER...

The following apps are apps that I have used on other devices that I feel are "must have" apps for me that are NOT on Windows Phone devices:

#1 FeaturePoints - earn points by downloading apps, use points to earn money (and thats how I bought my Lumia 520)
#2 HBO Go/Max Go/Showtime Anytime - TONS of stuff available here that isn't on NetFlix
#3 YouTube - Already explained
#4 BBM - its on Blackberry, iOS and Android and it's replaced WhatsApp between me and my friends, plus you can make VoIP calls on it FREE!
#5 Sirius/XM - I still enjoy it...

other than that, Windows Phone has the other apps that people use like FaceBook, Twitter, NetFlix.....but I gotta have more than just those......so maybe Windows Phone isn't good for my daily driver and I don't use it for my daily driver, I got it purely for playing around with and testing out 8.1 and seeing how it changes my opinion based on my gripes with it last year when I had it (and on the good side of things, alot of my negative thoughts have turned into positive thoughts!)

lexmarq

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
For me, it's not really about the "app gap", but how slowly the new features come (or it they will even come) to the apps on windows phone.

AMRooke

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
BE PROACTIVE. Regardless of the reasons for the app gap, we all need to work on getting the developers to add missing apps for WP and to maintain them to the same level as on the other platforms. Every time that I see an app that I would like, I contact the developer and request that they develop it for us. The more people who speak up, the better our chances at getting heard . . .

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
BE PROACTIVE. Regardless of the reasons for the app gap, we all need to work on getting the developers to add missing apps for WP and to maintain them to the same level as on the other platforms. Every time that I see an app that I would like, I contact the developer and request that they develop it for us. The more people who speak up, the better our chances at getting heard . . .
Yup true, you could create an illusion to a dev that WP is actually popular (outside social media) and if that runs long enough, WP will actually be more popular. I say we create a thread specifically for app requests, and ask people to contact the devs.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
There's no "app gap" per se but there's actually a problem with developers bringing in updates to some of the major apps like Spotify for example.

There really is a App gap. Again, I guess it comes down to each person's needs. If you found all the apps you want or need, then I could see why one would say that.

Most stuff that I could use day to day is there but, some of the Key apps or games that I would like to have and may I note, they are available on iOS and Android, are not there or any plans for the company to create a "Windows Phone" app.

You want more apps ? You want better apps ? Sell about 10 million more phones (get us up to 25% of the market), and the apps will come. It's one of those catch 22 things....We cant get the apps because we are not selling the phones but, we can't sell the phones unless we have the apps.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
There really is a App gap. Again, I guess it comes down to each person's needs. If you found all the apps you want or need, then I could see why one would say that.

Most stuff that I could use day to day is there but, some of the Key apps or games that I would like to have and may I note, they are available on iOS and Android, are not there or any plans for the company to create a "Windows Phone" app.

You want more apps ? You want better apps ? Sell about 10 million more phones (get us up to 25% of the market), and the apps will come. It's one of those catch 22 things....We cant get the apps because we are not selling the phones but, we can't sell the phones unless we have the apps.

Just searched a while ago for a video editing tool for WP 8 and I've found none, though Movie Moments is coming to WP 8.1. But I'll still have to wait.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Yup true, you could create an illusion to a dev that WP is actually popular (outside social media) and if that runs long enough, WP will actually be more popular. I say we create a thread specifically for app requests, and ask people to contact the devs.

Thankfully, app devs usually look at actual market data and not at such questionable methods.

drelewis

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
to answer the question yes.

I had a droid 2-3 years ago and it was terrible apps crashed all the time stability terrible etc. I just got the s5 and If you believe that wp does not have major issues in this area then you are blind. Its been app party/feast for me. Being able to get all of "those" apps that we don't get. Great example is snapchat. New feature to both ios and droid whist wp does not have the real app. Its great that rudy does a job to patch the gap but the bottom line is people don't have to and will not compensate when you know you have this device for 2 years. Why wait? why gamble and get frustrated?

With 8.1 as well for me the phone lost what made wp different. Its like a more secure version of android with less aps and wearable tech.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism