Is Windows Phone becoming android?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Headed? It's there homes.

You may be right. I just really dislike closing threads due to incivility. It feels like stifling free speech. I prefer warnings or infractions, but will close threads that seem beyond hope. I just didn't feel this thread was that bad... yet.

Ultimately, where we stand on this topic is a matter of opinion, because we all have different ways of judging how "Android like" WP is (what I tried to explain in my post on page 5). This is not about cold hard technical facts. Anyone treating it as such, or responding with simple yes/no answers just hasn't yet put enough thought into it.

I feel both sides have valid arguments that deserve to be heard. Many of us would be better off doing a bit less shouting and a lot more listening.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You may be right. I just really dislike closing threads due to incivility. It feels like stifling free speech. I prefer warnings or infractions, but will close threads that seem beyond hope. I just didn't feel this thread was that bad... yet.

Ultimately, where we stand on this topic is a matter of opinion, because we all have different ways of judging how "Android like" WP is (what I tried to explain in my post on page 5). This is not about cold hard technical facts. Anyone treating it as such, or responding with simple yes/no answers just hasn't yet put enough thought into it.

I feel both sides have valid arguments that deserve to be heard. Many of us would be better off doing a bit less shouting and a lot more listening.

Getting two opposing points of view to agree on things that are purely subjective is beyond the scope of most people. I've been guilty of it myself so I know how hard it is. There must be a way to "freeze" a thread until cooler heads prevail. We do this with our kids - timeout. Too many times a genuinely legit argument gets lost in all the noise and that only hurts us.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I think people need to be reminded that you shouldn't stress yourself with trying to change anyone's mind. And that its ultimately not that serious. Adults should be mature enough to have discussions without going bonkers.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Dennis you are so right! I miss Facebook integration! Now I h ave to rely on the stupidly slow messenger app! And to see my news feed, I have to use the buggy Facebook app.
Guess what: I didn't have Facebook installed before, although I use it everyday!

FACEBOOK integration is still there in Windows Phone 8.1 You can post to someone's timeline by linking their Contact's profile to their Facebook page. Then all you need to do is tap their contact and tap "Post to Timeline" in their profile. You can type your message and add photos or videos. It hasn't gone away, just done a little differently.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
FACEBOOK integration is still there in Windows Phone 8.1 You can post to someone's timeline by linking their Contact's profile to their Facebook page. Then all you need to do is tap their contact and tap "Post to Timeline" in their profile. You can type your message and add photos or videos. It hasn't gone away, just done a little differently.

I don't Facebook much but I didn't do any of what you mentioned yet all my contacts with FB have a "post to timeline" option.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

It is there, but it's basically just links to the FB app. Still, it's not completely gone, and maybe there will be improvements later on.

Genghis7777

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I agree but also realize that individual app providers should be able to collectively bring more resource and therefore more functionality than any individual corporation can.

Multi share goes some way toward allowing a single tweet to be sent simultaneously to Facebook.

Although the original Windows Phone was a design tour de force, it had to eventually face commercial reality.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
What I find absolutely hysterical about this is when reading a typical WP complaint thread (and there are thousands of them) the most consistent argument you'll see for adding this or that feature is "Android can do this". Now WP is too "Android like". Unbelievable.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
What I find absolutely hysterical about this is when reading a typical WP complaint thread (and there are thousands of them) the most consistent argument you'll see for adding this or that feature is "Android can do this". Now WP is too "Android like". Unbelievable.

I know! It's like they want WP to be ahead of Android in the market but they want it to be stuck on wp7 feature list. Smh

Last edited:

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
The main issue for me is how we now have to micro manage apps. Something which we didn't have to do in wp8.. I agree with you there that it's becoming too much like android..

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I know! It's like they want WP to be ahead of Android in the market but they want it to be stuck on wp7 feature list. Smh

It's the, "I want my cake and eat it too" mentality.

Me personally, I never used WP7.x so I don't know what I missed. I just jumped to WP8 back last summer and yes there were some things I missed on WP8 (and even WP8.1) that I could do on Android. Most if it though had to do with apps (or lack of), and VERY little to do with the OS itself. Now that WP8.x has matured somewhat and the so called "app gap" has been narrowed, I can do EVERYTHING on my Icon that I could do on my GN2, expect for ONE item. And that is connect to my camera's Eye-Fi card with my phone. Since that is an APP issue and not an OS issue, I can't blame Microsoft or Nokia.

I find that WP8.x OS is a whole heck of a lot faster than Android, it is sleek and polished, and it is different and new. Like I said previously, if Microsoft wants to increase its market share, then it needs to convert Android users first. Not because iOS is better, but because the majority of the world (and Microsoft is thinking global) uses Android powered phones.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
It's the, "I want my cake and eat it too" mentality.

Me personally, I never used WP7.x so I don't know what I missed. I just jumped to WP8 back last summer and yes there were some things I missed on WP8 (and even WP8.1) that I could do on Android. Most if it though had to do with apps (or lack of), and VERY little to do with the OS itself. Now that WP8.x has matured somewhat and the so called "app gap" has been narrowed, I can do EVERYTHING on my Icon that I could do on my GN2, expect for ONE item. And that is connect to my camera's Eye-Fi card with my phone. Since that is an APP issue and not an OS issue, I can't blame Microsoft or Nokia.

I find that WP8.x OS is a whole heck of a lot faster than Android, it is sleek and polished, and it is different and new. Like I said previously, if Microsoft wants to increase its market share, then it needs to convert Android users first. Not because iOS is better, but because the majority of the world (and Microsoft is thinking global) uses Android powered phones.

Actually since KitKat Android is just as fast ad any other OS. WP is not some special case for speed. At that the speed differences between each OS (iOS, Android an WP) are so minimal that you have to focus on more than just speed as a selling point.

Then you have to take into consideration what does WP do that is so different from Android? Its one thing to do something different but so far WP just does the same things but it just looks different. Because WP is definitely not there to get hardcore Android fans away from phones like the G3, M8, S5 or Z2.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The main issue for me is how we now have to micro manage apps. Something which we didn't have to do in wp8.. I agree with you there that it's becoming too much like android..

But just so you know, micro managing apps is now unnecessary on Android for the most part. Like I've said before, WP & Android have switched places!

Last edited:

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
But just so you know, micro managing apps is now unnecessary on Android for the most part. Like I've said before, WP & Android have switched places!

Actually most of people here are forgoting the core of wp itself. Wp has not lost it uniqe start screen or UI. Notif center fine by me since i won't be able to read multiple notif at same time. It would be nice to have more clue than just notif on live tile. Second the wp 8.x core are windows NT. It make lot of good compatibility with windows PC. some compatible app that have been purchase are available for both wp8 and win8 device in single transaction. I don't see such relation between Android and Linux and if you talk about ubuntu mobile it never came close

The whole reason why wp 8 had it name because of windows NT kernel. If not it why bother create new OS. Just develop wp 7 it would be more efficient than create new OS

It not about the UI that make wp it about the kernel seriously

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
No way wp is always about live tiles which is still there.so no problem in wp 8.1 except music app.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

anon(5789608)

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes.

And Metro is dead.

Metro_thumb.jpg

PeopleHub.png

Microsoft Health app:
qYOlrIS.jpg

Microsoft OneDrive app:
OneDrive_New_UI_Screenshots2.jpg