Microsoft Needs To Get Aggressive With Windows Phone Right Now

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The best read on the platform I've read in a while. It is not a long read but do yourself a favor and read it. I've posted a sample below but click the link to read the full story. Post your opinions below the fold.

"I had tried to make the switch a few times in the past, but couldn?t bring myself to do it permanently, because I felt using the Windows Phone platform meant making too many sacrifices versus Android or iOS. I no longer feel that is that case, with my particular use model. [Nokia Lumia 1520] This won?t be true for everyone, but as someone who uses his smartphone mostly for e-mail, web browsing, managing a few servers and desktop PCs, and using social networks, Windows Phone 8.1 is great. There are still far fewer apps available for the platform versus Android and iOS, but at this point, the only things I really miss are a few games, hence the reason I also keep a Note 3 on hand.

If Windows Phone was able to win me over, it should be able to convert a large number of consumers as well. And it seems to me as if now?RIGHT NOW?is a perfect time for Microsoft to get far more aggressive with their Windows Phone push.."

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Jazmac.

I totally agree with your point of view. At this junction, Microsoft must launch more models quickly after they are announced. They should not keep wide gap between announcement and actual launch. Or else excitement dies. i.e. Lumia 930.

And they should have country wise marketing strategy in place, as people in every country have different mindsets.

Last edited:

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing that the writer is talking about things from a US market perspective. In which case, MS is going to have to stop doing deals with carriers which means a device is exclusive to one network, or they get a "special model" (810, 928, Icon etc).

They need to put out the same model name, with variants for frequency and 3G tech, to EVERY one of the Big 4 carriers, and these phones need to ship with 8.1 out of the box.

What is this bull**** with special models per carrier anyway? An iPhone on Verizon isn't called something different than an iPhone on AT&T. Stop caving to the carriers.

The 1520, with 8.1, on every carrier.
Rename the Icon to just a variant of the 930, ship it with 8.1, on every carrier.
That model that has shown up in AdDuplex logs with the 5 inch 720p screen, lets call it the 830, on every carrier.

Get the 1320, 625, 635 and 525 onto every network that will take them (Cricket? TMob? Virgin? MVNOs?). All with 8.1. As soon as there is a new, 3G only model with 1GB RAM available (for teen gamers that want something cheap), ditch the 525 in the US market, it's not doing the Lumia brand image any favours in the US.

Ditch the Nokia branding on these devices in the US NOW. Sadly, the Nokia brand was never seen in the same good light inside the US as it was outside, so get rid. And run plenty of "Lumia by Microsoft" ads that show off the whole range (a device for whatever your needs are), shows off 8.1, and makes the point "available on your favourite network" (and pull the Apple stunt of the same ad with different carrier logos at the end each time it runs).

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I also think this writer is on target. Get the 8.1 roll out on the fast track; get the Cortana roll out to key markets in the rest of the world on the fast track. Then hire the best ad firm you can and embark on an ad campaign like none other. If you don't have the products in place ad campaigns are foolish, but when you do have superior products in place, not advertising is foolish.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I think Satya realizes that. You look at the new OEMs the shift in policy to allow more developers to create for WP. You're seeing more cross platform apps and games coming to WP at the same time. You see WP getting more involved with home integration with Cortana, which I strongly hope is kept as a WP/Windows exclusive. I like the direction of WP now. I think they feel the pulse of what the platform needs and will keep it competitive. My only question would be advertising. When will we see a more engaged marketing scheme?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree with you. If Microsoft was aggressive with windows phone and stop the exclusive carrier bull**** in the US, windows phone would have a much higher market share.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I already posted my point of view in another thread. So I quote myself here (italic text).

The company needs to get Windows Phone 8.1 onto as many current-gen devices as it can and significantly amp up its marketing efforts. Microsoft needs to get an array of Windows Phone-based devices onto every major carrier as well. And it also needs to do a better job of educating sales people on the benefits and features of Windows Phone. Building off of the Xbox One?s momentum could help lure in younger consumers, who may find Windows Phone?s Xbox integration and Smartglass features attractive. Associating Windows Phone with the recently released Surface Pro 3 and showing off the synergies possible with Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone would be advisable as well.

Updating phones fast will not happen, unless they can make something happening that didn't happen in the last 4 years.

What devices should they bring to these carriers? Windows Phone devices are certainly not more exciting than the current Android hardware. The 630 is laughable and even the Lumia 930 that's not even released yet features specs that you can get in a Sony Z1 Compact or in a Nexus 5 for a much lower price. Also, Microsoft much rather releases more Android phones it seems.

The Xbox One's momentum? The "okay, Kinect was a failure we don't sell as many consoles as we should"-momentum? Windows Phone's Xbox integration? What does that even mean, the games with a green name tag? Xbox games on Windows Phone have as much to do with the Xbox One as Xbox music...

What are the special synergies between Windows Phone and Windows 8? Onedrive? I really don't know, and I use both.

What I want to say: I don't think things are as easy as this article wants to make us believe.

And since I looked at a detailed comparison between the (cheaper but better) X2 and the 630, I can't take Microsoft's mobile business seriously anyway anymore.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Carriers here in NZ don't get so aggressive over advertising a new Lumia whereas there's literally ads coming out of my ears for the new S5 or iPhone. Seriously MS. Show people how cool WP is!!! I get compliments all the time on my yellow 1020 running WP8.1 :p

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree with you. If Microsoft was aggressive with windows phone and stop the exclusive carrier bull**** in the US, windows phone would have a much higher market share.

I thought MS has a flagship phone that is launching in the US and Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile want it.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Carriers here in NZ don't get so aggressive over advertising a new Lumia whereas there's literally ads coming out of my ears for the new S5 or iPhone. Seriously MS. Show people how cool WP is!!! I get compliments all the time on my yellow 1020 running WP8.1 :p

Same with my Yellow 1520 :-D. Kiwis!!

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I thought MS has a flagship phone that is launching in the US and Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile want it.

That's not the point. All 3 want it, but all 3 don't want the other 2 to get it. And I bet all of them used to tell Nokia "well, we won't take it at all if you don't make it exclusive to us".

​This has got to stop. Call their bluff. Get the devices out there and selling everywhere, no matter what carrier the customer chooses. Make this a sales point - "You don't have to change carrier to get this phone, if you are happy with who you are with, they will have the Lumia you want".

That's the point.

binnyandrews

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
And since I looked at a detailed comparison between the (cheaper but better) X2 and the 630, I can't take Microsoft's mobile business seriously anyway anymore.
Your are very much right.

I wish if Microsoft was to concentrate on the Windows Mobile 5/6 mobile platform with aggressive marketing schema, Window Phone would have been in the 1st place in the market now. WM6.5 was a matured and very developed OS that can directly compete with android with all the futures, but unfortunately they were least interested in marketing it. They never thought the PC industry would ever go down in sale. They took almost 10 years to realize the future is not PC but mobile devices, while a common man realized the same long ago. WP7 was an utter failure - and they lost some % of loyal users because of WP7.

Yes they have all the might to come back in the business and they proved it with WP8. They needs to shell out more on the advertising in the local markets with which common man would be aware of the company and OS.

These are my personal views and no offense to Microsoft or any one who advocates Microsoft.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Until Windows Phone is the center of MS universe(like iOS for Apple and Android for Google) it will never happen. Nadella is fundamentally no different than Ballmer - protect Windows/Office at all costs. He doesn't get it.

Trevor Wolfe

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Until Windows Phone is the center of MS universe(like iOS for Apple and Android for Google) it will never happen. Nadella is fundamentally no different than Ballmer - protect Windows/Office at all costs. He doesn't get it.

If you think android is at the center of google you really need to do some research. GOOGLE search is at the center of google. It is how they make their money. And considering Microsoft is converging all of their platforms, windows phone is indeed gravitating towards the center of Microsoft. To say that Microsoft should completely diverge from their cash cows that support "windows phone" is completely and utterly insane.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you think android is at the center of google you really need to do some research. GOOGLE search is at the center of google. It is how they make their money. And considering Microsoft is converging all of their platforms, windows phone is indeed gravitating towards the center of Microsoft. To say that Microsoft should completely diverge from their cash cows that support "windows phone" is completely and utterly insane.

Actually NOT making WP #1 priority is insane. Look what making iOS #1 for Apple did for them.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
What you have to understand is Apple isn't known to provide software for multiple platforms like MSFT. Apple wasn't putting Office equivalent services. It was the iPhone that got iOS on the map. Without the iPhone where would Apple be? MSFT already led desktop sales with their Windows OS's and even on iOS Office is the most used administrative service, so WP is an extension of MSFT, not its heart like the iPhone is for Apple. With that being said, I think MSFT is realizing the potential of WP from an all MSFT integrated experience and you see a more aggressive approach from WP7.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
What you have to understand is Apple isn't known to provide software for multiple platforms like MSFT. Apple wasn't putting Office equivalent services. It was the iPhone that got iOS on the map. Without the iPhone where would Apple be? MSFT already led desktop sales with their Windows OS's and even on iOS Office is the most used administrative service, so WP is an extension of MSFT, not its heart like the iPhone is for Apple. With that being said, I think MSFT is realizing the potential of WP from an all MSFT integrated experience and you see a more aggressive approach from WP7.

I understand that very well, and it tells me that I should certainly not buy another Microsoft phone. After using Windows Mobile for years before switching to Windows Phone and using this to this point exclusively, I bought an iPad a few months ago. And I realized, not only are the apps much better on iOS what I already knew, but also Microsoft service integration is at least as good as on Windows Phone.

Of course, the Skype app is better on iOS, I don't care however, I don't use Skype. But also Office is better on the iPad than on RT as it is touch optimized. Onedrive works perfectly on iOS too, including auto-picture upload. They even offered an extra GB of Onedrive space just for installing the app on iOS (the same for Android) whereas you don't get anything when using Onedrive on Windows Phone. Exchange in the way I use it already works perfectly on iOS, but if it weren't enough Microsoft provides an additional Exchange app.

And all of this with a device from a company that has mobile devices as a main and not as a side business. Meaning you get a highly optimized OS with amazing hardware.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
You bring up great points, all of which if they were the primary points of interests for me I'd be sending this via an iPhone myself. I was just never sold on the presentation of the display for the iPhone. Its old and minimalistic when it cones to information. I've always been an optics guy so I look at my 1520 then at a 5S and its like night and day. As for MSFT apps, I would agree the functionality is at least as good and in some, and some not all are better. Still with WP8.1 there's enough WP feature rich aspects like Cortana, that keep me enthused that MSFT is slowly beginning to take ownership of WP and not just look at it like they do with desktops or laptops.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
examking010