Cannot set different account for OneDrive

Weust

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Things that pissed me off in previous version of Windows Phone, but I could work around or simply not use, was the ability to set different accounts for certain things.
Like Office. It's connected to the account you set the phone up with initially.

Now with WP8.1 I can't do that with OneDrive anymore too!
Meaning I cannot reach my OneDrive from the app on a Outlook.com address (my primary account on the phone is a Hotmail account with a @me.com address).

I don't want to use my Hotmail account anymore, but doing so anyway because of XBOX achievement and payment stuff, and I use a @me.com account for e-mail and then the outlook.com account for calender/contacts.

Really liked WP8.1 untill now. So f*cking done with it not being able to set up things they way I want.

Can't use OneNote because of OneDrive (using my outlook.com account on my iPad where I can select which account to use) and no OneDrive as a whole.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
They set it up this way so that everyone but you would not have to log in for each app on WP. Log in to the phone and we're automatically logged in to all MS services.

Is your .me account set up as an alias to your outlook.com account? If not, you might try that. My husband uses an att email account to log in to everything...

Weust

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
It makes sense to me to make things easy without having to log in to every app.
But at least give me the option to be able to switch between accounts.

The @me.com account is still a hotmail account. At least, that is how WP sees it.
It's not an alias to the outlook.com address.

That hotmail account holds my creditcard information, apps I bought, MCP registration (I am a WIndows System Administrator), Xbox Achievements.
I set it up when I needed a Xbox account and didn't want a @hotmail address. Or maybe when I needed to sign up for MCP. I forgot.
Been years since I set it up.

Linking sounds like I would make a mess of things in this case.
So wish Microsoft would finally be able to merge accounts. I don't even want the hotmail account anymore.
Didn't want the outlook.com account too, but Apple can't use IMAP for calendar and contacts...

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
The account with which the OneDrive and OneNote apps are associated is the .me account, correct?

This article might help. It explains how to change MS accounts associated with different services and what happens if you do...

Change a Microsoft account FAQ for Windows Phone | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

And this article discusses how to change the email address associated with a Microsoft account and the effects on your Xbox account (some of it is good news):

Which Microsoft account
should I use on my Windows Phone? | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

I know this is not the easy/perfect solution, but it's actionable. You can vent here, but that's just therapy.

Weust

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for those links. Not sure why I hadn't found that wizard myself.
I know changing accounts may let you loose certain information.

I changed the email address of my Xbox Live account once, when I still had the Xbox, but then I still needed to login with the @me.com account... Weird stuff.

I was just checking to see if I could move my MCP details to another account. No such luck there either.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Another solution is to set up shared folders in one note meaning you can access filed from multiple accounts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weust

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, but I don't want to use that Hotmail account at all.
Gonna try the wizard first. Hopefully my MCP subscription won't get b0rked. That's the main thing for now.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, but I don't want to use that Hotmail account at all.
Gonna try the wizard first. Hopefully my MCP subscription won't get b0rked. That's the main thing for now.

Is there any chance that MS has a Certified liaison that could assist you with updating contact info/account info? If not, aren't certs usually good for x number of years before requiring you recertify?

BTW, the wizard? I've only recently discovered they've buried a lot of pseudo-useful info in the windowsphone how-to section. I mean, c'mon, only noobs read the how-to!

Weust

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, I did find a site from 2010 with how to transfer the MCP ID to another account.
Only problem in my case is that the access code is sent to the "old" account. On which I cannot read the @me.com email when I login on outlook.com.
So I don't receive the access code anywhere...

how-to, is that the same as "manual"? ;-)

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, I did find a site from 2010 with how to transfer the MCP ID to another account.
Only problem in my case is that the access code is sent to the "old" account. On which I cannot read the @me.com email when I login on outlook.com.
So I don't receive the access code anywhere...

how-to, is that the same as "manual"? ;-)

If you log out of outlook.com, can you log in using the @me ID?

manual = what comes in the box with the drivers on 3.5" floppies...

Weust

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I can, but it shows an empty mailbox. Somehow it's doesn't deliver mail there.
And there is no forwarding setup.

3.5" floppies? I'm still booting from single-sided 5.25" floppy disk on a Atari 1050 disk drive with speedy chip.
I just passed on from cartridges.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I can, but it shows an empty mailbox. Somehow it's doesn't deliver mail there.
And there is no forwarding setup.

3.5" floppies? I'm still booting from single-sided 5.25" floppy disk on a Atari 1050 disk drive with speedy chip.
I just passed on from cartridges.

Woot! You're stylin', dude. Yeah, I finally moved on from my 8" floppies and 5 MB hard drives. Those floppies could only hold 1 file each and they were starting to fill up the room. And the 5 MB hard drives? Well, I think a refrigerator magnet did them in.

About the cert... is there a serial number you received? How do you prove MCP status? Years ago, I was cert'd as part of the MOUS beta program and I seem to recall having a number tattooed somewhere... There's gotta be some sort of communication channel...

Weust

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Respect for the room fillers! And the electrical company must be very happy with your tumble dryer style hard drives?

Serial number? All I have is a MCP ID and a nagging e-mail every year to log in on the site at least once a year or the ID get's removed.
I will call with the MCP support line tomorrow. See if they can help.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Respect for the room fillers! And the electrical company must be very happy with your tumble dryer style hard drives?

Serial number? All I have is a MCP ID and a nagging e-mail every year to log in on the site at least once a year or the ID get's removed.
I will call with the MCP support line tomorrow. See if they can help.

Well if you get that nagging email, they must have some current contact info for you... or is that the immortal @me account?

Weust

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, come to think of it, somehow that email does reach me...
My guess is they send to an email address, instead of an account. If you get what I mean.

When logged in and have me send a code, it's account wise they send it. Not to an email address.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes