WP 8.1 Bugs and Defects

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Okay, just had something happen that was a bit unexpected.

I wanted to download the update for Hungry Shark Evolution, but due to the size, it can only be done over WiFi. I won't have access to WiFi for at least several weeks, which kind of makes it impossible for me to enjoy the Christmas themed version just released.

So, I got the idea to download and install it manually... you know, side-load it.

I download the app on my PC, put it on my phone's SD card. Picks it up in the store as an app that can be installed locally through "Install Local App", however, it won't allow me to check the box to install it. It's grayed out, and says it requires WiFi to install!! What?!? It doesn't need to be downloaded! It's on the SD Card, and the stupid phone recognizes it is already downloaded, but won't allow it to install unless I'm on WiFi?

This is a serious issue on Microsoft's part. It needs fixing, ASAP. I just wasted 115MB of my data so I could have an app that the phone won't let me install???

Anyone else notice this?

----------------------

EDIT: Okay, just realized the app has already been queued for update over WiFi, which is why it wouldn't install locally. So I cancelled that download. I have now attempted to Install Local App again, and now it gives a "Store error" 80070057.

Very frustrating. Anyone know how to make this work properly? I'm going to try a soft reset, see if that helps.

---------------------

EDIT again: Soft reset did not help. Had to full uninstall the app in order to install it. Yet another bug. It should update the app, not cause issues, when you try to install a new version of an app over an old one.

Lost all progress in the game, and am a bit mad about it.

MS really needs to allow the tap and hold menu to include "override and download over cellular anyway". Not everyone has access to WiFi. I usually have to drive an hour or so to have access, and it is rather a pain when you have very young children to have to pick up and go somewhere JUST to make a stupid download, especially when you usually have between 6 and 10GB per month left over on the data plan every month and can afford a few extra downloads.

Last edited:

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft would love to have your feedback, not that they haven't had this "issue" reported a million times... But they have way more important things to implement and fix before

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft would love to have your feedback, not that they haven't had this "issue" reported a million times... But they have way more important things to implement and fix before

Have reported. Are you trying to politely steer me to report to Microsoft instead of posting in a thread for WP 8.1 issues and bugs? Or that I should only be reporting on things that are way more important?

Quite honestly, it's the only issue I've had to report so far, and it is quite important to me. I thought I'd post here in case it was of any help to anyone else looking for such an issue.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Bugs and Defects

I have noticed a sporadic bug which effects glance and I finally was able to replicate it today whilst having breakfast by locking my phone on / off several times in quickly.

The MSN weather app turns off then after a prolonged delay of several seconds the background and later followed by the screen itself in rapid fashion.Glance Screen + MSN Weather & Bg.jpg

View attachment 91475

Has anyone else noticed this?

Andy Eshegovich

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site

Hello!

In WP8, if you got a call while listening to music (with headphones), the music would stop and the ringtone would play - which is the way it should be. I've realised that in WP8.1, the music just keeps playing. It doesn't stop and the ringtone doesn't play. The phone does vibrate though, but in most situations it's hard to realise you have a call.
Is there a way to fix this? Cheers

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site

Hello!

In WP8, if you got a call while listening to music (with headphones), the music would stop and the ringtone would play - which is the way it should be. I've realised that in WP8.1, the music just keeps playing. It doesn't stop and the ringtone doesn't play. The phone does vibrate though, but in most situations it's hard to realise you have a call.
Is there a way to fix this? Cheers
I don't play music often so hadn't noticed. So I played some music (X-Box Music app) and called my phone 6 times. The music stopped and I got normal rings sitting on a table or in my pocket. The phone is a 1520.3 on Developer Preview so its 8.1.1. So maybe they fixed it in 8.1.1 or maybe its something else about some phones that causes the problem.

fluffyowl

May 17, 2014
Visit site
If you go into the store, and tap the application bar (the 3 little dots at the bottom) then click settings, there should be an option for you to turn off, "Only get updates over Wi-Fi". ^^
wp_ss_20141224_0001.jpg

desitunez

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Email Notifications:-
In WP8.1 there is no audible / banner / notifications when email in received (Pinned folders ) - Exchange Email.
Only Audible Notifications if email is received in Inbox , not the subfolders.

This used to use work in WP8 , Can someone from Microsoft comment if this is bug or if that feature was removed.

I have lot of Email rules where important emails goes to subfolders , and they are pinned to homescreen, however now only way to find out if have emails on those folders is wake up the phone and check them manually.

Please advise .

chunky2055

May 13, 2013
Visit site
App list went blank on my L820 after I changed to a new sd card.
Apps pinned on home screen are still working but not visible on the list.

Atul Kumar Verma

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Windows Phone 8.1 Denim Bugs in lumia 520

I am using Lumia 520 Running Windows 8.1 denim.
Following things I noticed while using Phone after update.
1. While listening to music tiny creepy sound comes in between transactions of two songs.
2.When I go to music app slide over and go in songs and play a song, song starts but leaves me at blank screen(image below)wp_ss_20150104_0001.png
at this screen I have to close the app by swiping down.
3.When I play a song with unknown artist, then live tile for music shows random numbers.(image below)wp_ss_20150104_0002.png
4.There is game called Piano Tiles by Umoni studios, while playing this game, and listening songs in background, each time song changes this game crashes, I don't know what it has to do with song transaction.
5.Sometimes my phone does not detect Bluetooth of my pc(windows 8.1) and vice versa.

Also I want these things to be added.
1.Let me choose which apps can run in background.
2.Give option of entering username and password in proxy settings for internet.
3.Do something about repeated birthdays for same person showing up in calender app. due to sync from multiple email ids.(image below).wp_ss_20150104_0003.png

I hope you will look into these issues.

jimh12345

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Since updating my Lumia 521 to 8.1, I can't play any of the music on the phone. Every track gives me "Can't play. Sorry, we are not able to play this song right now. Please try again later." Needless to say, following those instructions doesn't help.

Update: removed, reinserted SD card and rebooted - now plays Who knows.

rapidscout

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Downloading apps stops at "Pending" status when first try failed downloading. It is very annoying. I'm using Lumia 1520 with preview for developers 8.1.1

My Lumia 822 is doing the same thing, now none of my apps seem to be able to update. Have tried to delete, restart, turn only update over WiFi on/off, soft reset, etc no change. I think I'm up to 9 apps stuck in "pending".

Saurabh Vaidya

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone noticed in-call volume doesn't works when connected to earphones? I have Lumia 1320 and facing this issue since wp 8.0 black update. Even after updating to cyan and 8.1 gdr 1 it dint resolved. It shows zero volume but remains at 10(high). :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon