WP Settings menu concept

l33tuc

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I got into a discussion over at mynokiablog.com regarding the mess that is the WP Settings Menu, and I came up with a new concept largely based around the 8.1.1 'Live-Folders' and thought I'd share it here to see what you guys thought.

The icons have been nicked from Symbian, and obviously these would need to be redesigned to be more in-keeping with WP, but they're only there for illustration purposes. It would of course be possible to just use the group heading text to open and collapse the same sub-menus, I was just trying to maintain some consistency with the rest of the OS, whilst also remaining user-friendly.

Interested to hear your thoughts! :)

WP_Settings_Concept.jpg

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I like the concept, now take it a step forward and update the icons! :p

But yeah, I like how original Microsoft could make this compared to other OS's that are just lists with this concept in mind. Would actually make me go "man, your settings are a mess, here's mine."

So cool concept, work on the icons, then maybe give the idea to Microsoft.

As a side note though, how will it determine what the "Most Used" settings are?

Edit: Kind of just answered my own question. Recall Internet Explorer's new tab interface where it shows your top 10 active websites. Well, we could use that for the Settings, but lower the number to 4-5. Bam. Solved.

l33tuc

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Cheers! :)

I figured 'most used' would be auto-populated... i.e. the OS would work out which settings you used most often and would group them together for quicker access...

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I've gotcha. ;) Which either way, I hope at least that part comes in Update 2 (where the settings are apparently getting into alphabetical order).

l33tuc

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I think I'm only a couple away... so replying to you may have pushed me over the limit, haha... I'll try again... :)

l33tuc

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Hope this works... :)

WPSettings.gif

l33tuc

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone able to see the animated gif version? I've tweaked some of the OneDrive settings and it should be public... :)

l33tuc

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I dusted off Photoshop and After Effects to create these... haven't used either in well over a year... It was as much an exercise to see if I still could! :)

Eduardo Wandscheer

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking something like Windows 8 settings panel.. sorted by categories and in alphabetical order

Like that:

English -----------------------------------------------------------------Portuguese (to compare alphabetical order)
1.png2.png
3.png4.png
5.png6.png
7.png8.png

Last edited:

l33tuc

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I really like that idea too! TBH it should have been like that from the very beginning... Here's hoping that something is coming sooner rather than later. Anything has got to be better than the mess of a system that's currently in place! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers