02-27-2015 07:42 PM
32 12
tools
    Have any news Lumia denim update for preview for developers?
    09-04-2014 08:24 PM
    Denim, like cyan, is a firmware update. We won't be seeing a DP.
    Jazmac and petervk like this.
    09-04-2014 08:50 PM
    and regarding if it will be available as a direct upgrade from the Preview, its likely because the Bitlocker problem is the exception, whereas I went from the 8.0 Update 3 Preview to the official release + Lumia Black firmware with no issues.
    Microsoftjunkie likes this.
    09-04-2014 08:51 PM
    So much for WP's imminent demise. That's how many updates this year?
    Jazmac, petervk, jomarr and 6 others like this.
    09-04-2014 08:53 PM
    Are u sure we will not have to downgrade to the 8.1 official release then upgrade to Denim? Currently I have 8.1 update 1 developer preview.
    manus31 likes this.
    09-04-2014 08:56 PM
    Current wisdom has it that Cyan for Preview For Developers is coming, only one country I think so far
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    09-05-2014 01:56 AM
    Current wisdom has it that Cyan for Preview For Developers is coming, only one country I think so far
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    Two countries at least. US and Germany.
    Private Nemesis likes this.
    09-05-2014 02:17 AM
    I really hope MS releases it and not have to deal with the Carriers on this one....Just like on Verizon we are still waiting for Cyan....Once it comes then we will have to wait months again for Denim....

Didn't MS say users would not have to wait for carriers on WP8 announcements ?
    09-05-2014 08:16 AM
    I really hope MS releases it and not have to deal with the Carriers on this one....Just like on Verizon we are still waiting for Cyan....Once it comes then we will have to wait months again for Denim....

Didn't MS say users would not have to wait for carriers on WP8 announcements ?
    Correct. Windows Phone can be upgraded (via DP) without waiting for carriers. Black/Cyan/Denim are Nokia firmware (HTC and Samsung don't give fancy names, but also release the same way as Nokia devices, by attaching the firmware update with the software update) and not directly related to the Windows Phone version.
    09-05-2014 08:50 AM
    I hope Lumia cyan release very soon and Lumia denim also comes for dp.
    09-05-2014 10:21 AM
    Not for Lumia 920 in the US. We're still in wait mode with freakin' AT&T
    09-05-2014 01:41 PM
    Not for Lumia 920 in the US. We're still in wait mode with freakin' AT&T
    What do you mean?

AT&T Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 now getting the Lumia Cyan update | Windows Phone Central

I just updated my wife's AT&T branded 820 last night to WP8.1+Cyan. It's available for the 920 as well. Go to settings>phone update and manually search for updates.
    09-05-2014 05:21 PM
    What do you mean?

AT&T Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 now getting the Lumia Cyan update | Windows Phone Central

I just updated my wife's AT&T branded 820 last night to WP8.1+Cyan. It's available for the 920 as well. Go to settings>phone update and manually search for updates.
    Those who are running Dev Preview are still waiting... No cyan yet unless we want to lose our game progress and live folders rolling back to 8.0 sans DP.
    DavidinCT and crav4speed like this.
    09-05-2014 05:57 PM
    I did cyan on my 1020 running dp without rolling back. But in my 1520 it didn't had to roll back do cyan then did dp
    09-05-2014 10:32 PM
    Those who are running Dev Preview are still waiting... No cyan yet unless we want to lose our game progress and live folders rolling back to 8.0 sans DP.
    Did you try OTA update? They allowed it for the 1020 on AT&T with Dev Preview. It might not have been all devices though...
    09-05-2014 10:34 PM
    Did you try OTA update? They allowed it for the 1020 on AT&T with Dev Preview. It might not have been all devices though...
    Tried several times. Not happening for 920 in US, but 920-Tmo Germany has it... :P

I'm going to do the NSRT on my husband's phone and see how it goes. Only compelling issue right now is battery drain. Definitely won't roll back my daughter's phone (aka the Gameboy)... she'd hate me forever.
    fatclue_98 and tpbklake like this.
    09-05-2014 10:47 PM
    Can't speak for the game progress, but you can get the folders right back by re-installing the DP and re-updating to 8.1.1
    09-06-2014 09:09 AM
    Can't speak for the game progress, but you can get the folders right back by re-installing the DP and re-updating to 8.1.1
    It's the game progress that is driving me nuts. I don't want to lose my level 20 in Another Case Solved. Most of the other games I play are Xbox Live titles, so they're safe. Right now, I'm just trying to do a backup. Settings backup is failing miserably and I've tweaked and uninstalled until there's little left to tweak or uninstall. Have tried at least 30 times...

As for my daughter's 920, it's all about the games. I don't dare upgrade hers.

I did upgrade my husband's 920 last night. Expected battery life went from 21 hours to 1 day, 15 hours (39 hours). That's even a little better than expected battery life on 8.0 (approx. 36 hours).
    09-06-2014 12:51 PM
    Most of the other games I play are Xbox Live titles, so they're safe.
    Don't count on that....No games including xbox live games are saved. 8.1 as a application backup but, that is only if a dev changes their code to use it. So far as far as I know, nothing is support it yet.

Last time I did a hard reset, I lost all my game saves, including about 10 xbox games...

So, don't count on that your going to end up being very disappointed...
    Nerdy Woman likes this.
    09-06-2014 01:36 PM
    Denim, like cyan, is a firmware update. We won't be seeing a DP.
    That was the excuse when Nokia was in charge. However, since Microsoft is now in charge of the phones that belonged to Nokia, there's no reason why Microsoft couldn't make the firmware available also on the DP for their devices.
    Well...there's one reason: carriers and Microsoft's fear to stand up against them.

And not generally. I got it on my DP Deutsche Telekom 920. However I have still to receive it on my also DP Deutsche Telekom 1020.
    09-06-2014 04:39 PM
    Firmware needs carrier approval. Firmware can alter reception.
    09-06-2014 08:41 PM
    Firmware needs carrier approval. Firmware can alter reception.
    Except you can buy unbranded unlocked phones which means even that excuse if false. Here in Europe, for example, our phones only get carrier approval IF you buy them from a carrier in which case the phone will come with a carrier software branding (example: I use my phones with Deutsche Telekom's software branding because their version comes with a dark grey accent colour). If you buy them at normal tech outlets like Fnac, MediaMarkt, Saturn etc, the phones come with factory firmware.

So Microsoft could absolutely release the firmware to the DP. If anything, they would only deliver it to people with unbranded phones, but it's possible. They don't do it because they don't want to.
    09-06-2014 09:59 PM
    Except you can buy unbranded unlocked phones which means even that excuse if false. Here in Europe, for example, our phones only get carrier approval IF you buy them from a carrier in which case the phone will come with a carrier software branding (example: I use my phones with Deutsche Telekom's software branding because their version comes with a dark grey accent colour). If you buy them at normal tech outlets like Fnac, MediaMarkt, Saturn etc, the phones come with factory firmware.

So Microsoft could absolutely release the firmware to the DP. If anything, they would only deliver it to people with unbranded phones, but it's possible. They don't do it because they don't want to.
    No it doesn't. Carriers aren't responsible for the phone if you aren't using their official software or you're using a "Bring Your Own Device".
    09-07-2014 11:47 AM
    No it doesn't. Carriers aren't responsible for the phone if you aren't using their official software or you're using a "Bring Your Own Device".
    Which of these parts in the comment didn't you understand: "you can buy unbranded unlocked phones (...) If you buy them at normal tech outlets like Fnac, MediaMarkt, Saturn etc, the phones come with factory firmware."?

Welcome to the rest of the World, where we all use the same spectre of bands (unlike the US) and carriers matter for nothing more than providing you with the call service.
    09-07-2014 02:21 PM
    Which of these parts in the comment didn't you understand: "you can buy unbranded unlocked phones (...) If you buy them at normal tech outlets like Fnac, MediaMarkt, Saturn etc, the phones come with factory firmware."?

Welcome to the rest of the World, where we all use the same spectre of bands (unlike the US) and carriers matter for nothing more than providing you with the call service.
    You must not have understood my reply at all... Carriers are not responsible for phones without official firmware.
    09-08-2014 09:06 AM
32 12