Feeling too frustrated with the more recent WP experience after using since 2010

DZ302

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I first bought my Samsung Focus in November of 2010, I love it and WP7.8 was a lot of fun. I absolutely loved the Zune software and the biggest attraction to the phone was how the Messaging app combined Facebook chat along with Texts, LinkedIn Chat, etc...I went years without using a Facebook app because that along with the People hub had everything I needed. Considering 90% of what my phone was used for was a MP3 player and Facebook/Texting, I loved that the WP did both better than any other phone.

Although new and great features have come out, I feel like my overall experience is getting more and more frustrating over time since WP8 has released. Music + Videos app is a pile of **** with an ugly interface (the black in Zune was very attractive, I don't get the dull grey we have now or why I can't change it, or why it takes 5 seconds to launch the app, 3 seconds to load my artists list, 2 seconds to load the albums list, and 3 seconds to load the songs inside an album when Zune on WP7 had no delays. Apps used to follow the same UI pattern of the phone (ie: MetroTube being a perfect example), but now they just do anything and look like every other phone. To use Facebook I now need 2 apps, when before I needed 0.

Another thing to touch on is reliability. I went weeks if not months without ever rebooting my Samsung Focus. I now have a Lumia 920 and reset it on a daily basis. I never had any bugs or issues with my Focus, but I've had to reformat my L920 several times. Most recently I have recently RMAd the phone because randomly it would stop playing from the right side when I connected headphones or Bluetooth. My new L920 still has the same problem, so it's a bug in the software that's been there since April based on threads in this forum. I also reformatted my newest L920 2 weeks ago and am experiencing a bug where the phone does not show texts between the time it was formatted and when I last rebooted it. Sometimes I can get them to appear by turning text backup off and then back on, or changing "Download Messages from" Any time, to a different setting, then back to anytime. But the next time I reboot the phone the texts will be gone again.These are sorts of things I shouldn't be dealing with on a daily basis, and didn't for the 2.5 years I used my Samsung Focus on WP7.

There are a lot of great feature but I feel like the experience has gone from being something unique to just being the same as an Android or iPhone, except lacking in quantity of what it offers. I was always able to deal with the lack of apps but I feel they have not made enough progress, it's started to get more frustrating because I recently started working for a developer that does not have a WP app, so I can't even test our product, and we use a lot of tools like Slack which is still months away from a WP release.

Anyone else feeling the same? I haven't used an Android since 2010 and aside from using some at work I haven't really touched an iPhone, but they seem rather nice...maybe it's just a case of grass being greener because I've been with WP for so long, but at least with the others I wouldn't be missing out on the apps.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Probably getting a L920 was part of your mistake. Out of all the phones it has the most issues. I've had and have issues with mine. Though there are people on here who will tell you their L920 is amazing and had no issues and others still who took their phone back 4-6 times and finally got one that their happy with.

If you're missing apps and are unhappy I would suggest one of two things. One, get a tablet to help with that app gap. I currently have a Nexus 7 and I'm quite happy with it. I have a L920 so I don't mind the missing apps as much as I used to. MS services also work great on it. Also with my work allowing my tablet to connect to the WiFi and not my WP I am able to use it at work for emails and so on.

The other option is simply ditching WP. If you're unhappy and had enough then it's probably time to go. If you're waiting for a decent flagship that probably won't show up until next year. If you can't wait that long then I'd suggest either getting an iPhone 6 or some Android flagship. Which ever works for you.

I've had my frustrations with WP and I'm currently waiting for W9 to see if it's worth sticking around. Though I'm paitient, mainly because I have a tablet now, I still want to see something good out of W9 otherwise I'm ditching WP and going to Android.

DZ302

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the comment. I'm actually not waiting for another flagship. One thing I find kind of frustrating is the size of the phones. I want one with a 4" screen or smaller, the only 'decent' one is the Lumia 620, but the screen on it is completely garbage, and it only has 512 ram.

The iPhone has been 4.0" for years, I get that the new one is bigger, but WP had nothing to compete with it for years. I'd pay an extra $100 if the Lumia 630 had an AMOLED or IPS screen and 1gb ram.

DZ302

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone else feeling the same thing or am I just being whiny? Will my experience with iOS or Android be worse? I've used a WP for almost 4 years and have completely adopted the ecosystem so it's going to be a big change for me to try something else.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else feeling the same thing or am I just being whiny? Will my experience with iOS or Android be worse? I've used a WP for almost 4 years and have completely adopted the ecosystem so it's going to be a big change for me to try something else.

You'll have a better experience with iOS or Android in the Microsoft ecosystem. Microsoft's apps on iOS and Android are much better than their WP equivalents. However, you might miss some things in the WP OS itself.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes