Can Windows Phone 8.1 remember hidden wi-fi networks?

wabelo

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I am asking this because it's very unpleasant to be entering the passwords so many times to be connected in a hidden wi fi network. (Other people in the office are doing fine with their Androids and iphones).

I asked Microsoft to fix this problem. Please, would you consider to join and vote for my suggestion in the uservoice page? Thank you so much in advance.

https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/6619111-please-make-windows-phone-remember-and-connect-aut

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hidden SSID networks are generally agreed to be a fairly bad idea. In hiding your SSID, you're effectively asking all devices to continually broadcast the name when they attempt to connect.

Hidden names aren't secure at all, and the only possible use for them is to prevent casual users from asking you what the password is to the network (not really a realistic reason in a work environment like yours).

Myth vs. reality: Wireless SSIDs - Steve Riley on Security - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Note that in the article, it points out that technically, hidden SSID networks aren't enforceable (i.e. if your device doesn't want to connect to a hidden SSID, it's ok).

I don't know what the answer to your actual question is, but personally I would be asking questions of the IT team involved, specifically why they're wanting to waste people's batteries.

kuffcakes

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Windows phone 8 and 8.1 are both able to remember hidden ssid hidden passwords. At least that is my experience using a Lumia 1020 and 1520 on a hidden network.

wabelo

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the answers. I have realized it's a bug of wi-fi sense. When I disabled it, now it remembers the hidden wi fi network. So i concluded this:

if you are with wi fi sense enabled, if you connect to a hidden wi fi network, your lumia won't remember it.

you have to disable wi fi sense, connect to the hidden wi fi network, restart your phone, and then activate wi fi sense again (because its useful)

Thank you again for the help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes