Phone not encrypting

Kimboo

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello everybody!

I recently had my the provider of my Hosted Exchange to set up RequireDeviceEncryption for our EAS. The other phone using the Exchange server, a Lumia 1520, encrypted right away and says so in Storage Sense.

My own phone, a Lumia 930, has not done so though. They are both running on the same Exchange server and both running Windows 8.1 with Lumia Cyan. Only difference is that mine is on Preview For Developers, and the Lumia 1520 is not. When Google'ing the issue I read about some problems with phones which were already running Bitlocker, that locked up after installing an update from Preview For Developers. However, I did not find anything that would suggest that running Preview For Developers would remove the option to use Bitlocker.

Is the problem Preview For Developers? Or can this be caused by something else?
If it is a problem with Preview For Developers, how do I go back to running official updates?

Thanks!

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
There was a problem with 8.1 DP that once applied bitlocker encryption, it can't be properly updated to official Cyan firmware. So, Microsoft worked on this issue for a while. Not sure what the final solution is. Probably disable the Bitlocker is one of them to prevent similar issues down the road.

To go back to Official Cyan firmware, you need to use Nokia Software Updater to flash the official firmware (it will wipe your phone clean, so backup before you do so).

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
There was a problem with 8.1 DP that once applied bitlocker encryption, it can't be properly updated to official Cyan firmware. So, Microsoft worked on this issue for a while. Not sure what the final solution is. Probably disable the Bitlocker is one of them to prevent similar issues down the road.

To go back to Official Cyan firmware, you need to use Nokia Software Updater to flash the official firmware (it will wipe your phone clean, so backup before you do so).

Good right up . Thanks.

Wish device encryption could be applied without an Enterprise eas setup.

Kimboo

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the answers!

Also kind of sucks having to choose between PFD and Bitlocker, but guess I don't really have a choice at this point.

Certainly hope that encryption will be made easier accesible. Hard to find a good reason why everyone shouldn't benefit from it!

Stephan Diesler

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I have just tested it. I am on the latest DP Version (8.10.14192.280) and Cyan on a Lumia 925 (german T-Mobile).
About 30 minutes after setting the RequireDeviceEncryption Storage Sense stated "encrypted".
So it is not a general problem with the Developer Preview Program.

Regards,
Stephan

Kimboo

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have just tested it. I am on the latest DP Version (8.10.14192.280) and Cyan on a Lumia 925 (german T-Mobile).
About 30 minutes after setting the RequireDeviceEncryption Storage Sense stated "encrypted".
So it is not a general problem with the Developer Preview Program.

Regards,
Stephan

Thanks alot for sharing!

I'll keep on looking for a solution then. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be very happy to hear them! :)

Kimboo

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Just a small update: The problem is solved. I send an email to the provider of my hosted exchange, turns out they did not set up the policy for my email. Encryption is working now.

Thanks for all your answers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes