IDC: WP share to double by 2018, Android and iOS to fall

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Pure speculation, but not really a bold prediction to think that Windows phones could comprise 5.6% of the market share in four years. Similar growth predictions made in 2010-2012 have not panned out, however, so these market trend observations are only worth the paper they are written on. Windows 10 will most likely be the catalyst for growth or demise. Ok, gotta go pop some popcorn.

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
This forecast is no good news at all.

If they really need another three years to reach ~5%, I think Microsoft will cancel any further consumer efforts by the end of 2018.

They need at least 10% to become relevant and the fight for double digit market share is a declared target for years for them. So news that they maybe get to 5% in the years is really really bad.

Source: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/04/no...t-share-by-going-after-blackberrys-customers/

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
This prediction for WP is actually lower than an IDC report in February 2014.

IDC: Smartphone annual growth to hit single digits by 2017; Windows Phone well equipped for the future

Edit: I came across a few more predictions from further back:

From 2012: Windows Phone To Top iOS Market Share By 2016, IDC Says
Another one from 2012: The Windows Phone Predictions that IDC, Gartner and Pyramid Research Probably Hope You?ve Forgotten
From 2010: Global Smartphone Market Projections Raised 10% for the Year, reports IDC

In short, the IDC predictions aren't something to stake your life on.

Last edited:

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
If they can hit Windows 10 out of the ballpark, they can hit those numbers and more... Just depends on 10 and how well it works on phones... I still feel WP8.1 was a step in the wrong direction. Sure, Cortana is great, for those that have her, but certain basic features seem to be off.

Drinking my coffee and playing the waiting game... Just wish it had achievements 😁

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
This prediction for WP is actually lower than an IDC report in February 2014.

IDC: Smartphone annual growth to hit single digits by 2017; Windows Phone well equipped for the future

Edit: I came across a few more predictions from further back:

From 2012: Windows Phone To Top iOS Market Share By 2016, IDC Says

Another one from 2012: The Windows Phone Predictions that IDC, Gartner and Pyramid Research Probably Hope You?ve Forgotten

From 2010: Global Smartphone Market Projections Raised 10% for the Year, reports IDC

In short, the IDC predictions aren't something to stake your life on.

In other words, this prediction is basically just a wild guess and just as worthless as the ones before it.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
If they can hit Windows 10 out of the ballpark, they can hit those numbers and more... Just depends on 10 and how well it works on phones... I still feel WP8.1 was a step in the wrong direction. Sure, Cortana is great, for those that have her, but certain basic features seem to be off.

Drinking my coffee and playing the waiting game... Just wish it had achievements ��

th4B4IFOQH.jpg

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
To be fair, I could name two platforms that suddenly became popular within a year or two, Apple & Blackberry. Blackberry was successful because it captured the corporate market and BBM became popular with the teens. As for Apple, you know the story...

MS need to focus more on the corporate side, get that right, and people with their personal phones will come onboard as they will be used to the platform. I'm hoping Win10 will be a winner for all.

G.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2