Which WP8.1 device for dad - smaller is good...

Fish On

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Quick intro/history. I'm a somewhat young guy, but somehow never picked up on modern electronic gadgets like most in my generation (I'm a smartphone noob).

In any case, a bit over a year ago, I got tired of texting on my old flip phone (I was almost 20 before I even texted...:unhappy:), so I wanted to get a phone with a querty keyboard. Decided it might be cool to have Wifi capability, so I bought the cheapest decently rated phone with Wifi, used on ebay, of course.

That was a Samsung Focus (WP7.5 Mango). Thought that was pretty cool (no data - AT&T call/text only plan), just used Wifi.
Dad thought it was pretty cool too, so a month later, I bought him a used one just like it. That's how I ended up a fan of Windows phones. The interface was pleasant.

However, the Wifi on those was sllloooowww, both mine and his. I'm not sure we have the strongest wifi at the house, but even at work, it was slow. Later, I ended up swapping to a new plan with data, and found the data to be almost unusable. So slow that nothing would really load. Small sites - maybe - picture heavy sites wouldn't even work. That phone wasn't the most reliable either - would give me hardware problems, even more so for his - turns itself off and on all the time.

The day that phone turned off and wouldn't turn back on was a good day. Could finally get a decent phone. Sooo, I started researching (again, to buy used on Ebay), and not knowing why mine was slow, I wanted to be sure I had more RAM, and more processor. So, I settled on a Nokia Lumia 920. Been pretty pleased with the phone - it is waaayy more phone than I need (I'm not a heavy app user, not a heavy picture taker, don't store a lot of music on it - mainly use it for call/text/web surfing/calendar, alarm, etc.). But, it's plenty fast on wifi and data, so I'm cool with it.

But, it's big. Like huge. Even more so with the very big durable case I put on it because I'm a clutz. That's okay though.

Now, it's time to replace dad's piece of junk. He definitely likes the Windows phone interface as well. Main concern is that the phone not be schizophrenic, and that the wifi isn't slow/weak. But, he'd likely prefer something more the size of the focus, not so large as my 920.

Sooo, the question is, for generic call/text/websurfing/email/calendar/alarm clock use, would one of the lower number Nokia Lumia's be suitable, or with the less powerful processor/less RAM, will it be weak or slow on wifi? What about other brands?

I just need to know if I should buy him a 920, and tell him to learn to live with the size, because I know it works, or if I'd be okay with a smaller/cheaper phone.... He is on AT&T. Call/text only plan (no data).

Many Thanks!!

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
The L635 is as fast, if not faster. The general OS is very well optimized for quad cores so the L635 might actually be slightly faster than your L920 when it comes to browsing.

If he liked the size of the Samsung Focus and you want a maybe cheaper (but not worse, even better in places) phone, a Lumia 620 is a great buy.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think any lower end x20 Lumia would work fine.

The 520 if going bargain basement price (hit $30 on ATT recently) but the 620 is a smaller and better phone. Same with the 720.
So I'd get a 520, but heavily consider importing a 620 or 720. Maybe even the HTC 8X, which rivaled the 920, just in a smaller, bit differently equipped unit.

I feel the 635 is still kinda big by your standards, but not at 920 levels of bulk for sure.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Mind it that the Focus had an AMOLED screen. Plus without the clear black, Windows Phone does look slightly washed out. I would say try if you can buy a used Lumia 925. The phone does come with the AMOLED screen and 1GB RAM (just in case your father wants to play some games), plus it has one of the best designs, is lighter

Fish On

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advise!

I think I'm leaning towards a 635. Little bit bigger than I was originally looking at, but not too far off the Focus he's been carrying.

Looks like I can get a new 635 for about 60 bucks on ebay. Many of these are AT&T Go Phones. I'm reading that we can simply pop his current SIM (AT&T contract), into one of these Go Phones, and be good to go. Does that sound right?

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advise!

I think I'm leaning towards a 635. Little bit bigger than I was originally looking at, but not too far off the Focus he's been carrying.

Looks like I can get a new 635 for about 60 bucks on ebay. Many of these are AT&T Go Phones. I'm reading that we can simply pop his current SIM (AT&T contract), into one of these Go Phones, and be good to go. Does that sound right?
yes, correct. it should work with no issues.
I've done it before (on att myself)

Hypnopottamus

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 635 as a backup. It is a VERY solid phone. No lags, and it will more than suit your dad's needs. It does have a 4.5 inch screen, though. The Samsung Focus had a 4 inch screen. If you think that 4.5 inch screen is too big, try going with the Lumia 530. It has the exact same screen size as the Focus (at 4 inches). It also has the exact same specs as the Lumia 635 so the performance should be the same.

The only drawback is that it only comes with an internal memory of 4GB (as opposed to the 635's 8GB). Because you said that apps aren't a priority, this should be PLENTY of space. If not, you could always use the expandable memory slot and store apps and downloads on the memory card. Either way, both of these options are solid and are extremely affordable for the performance you get. You get a basic, but premium smartphone performance at a reasonable price.

Fish On

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the help, folks!

I purchased him a new Lumia 635 today. Little bit bigger, but incrementally so - not near as much of a jump as my 920.

Knowing what I know now, I'd have probably bought the 635 for myself instead of the 920 when I bought mine, especially with the price difference. I really like my 920, but it is really way more phone than I'll ever need/use. It'll be interesting to see if I still hold that viewpoint after he has his for awhile.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Knowing what I know now, I'd have probably bought the 635 for myself instead of the 920 when I bought mine, especially with the price difference. I really like my 920, but it is really way more phone than I'll ever need/use. It'll be interesting to see if I still hold that viewpoint after he has his for awhile

Report back as to your Dad's reaction to the 635. It's a great phone and a great buy.

Now, you stated that the 920 is more phone than you will "ever" need. Let us know in a few weeks if this is still true. Most people I have experience with started thinking they would never use all the power the phone has but they end up slowly expanding their use of the phone. Let us know if this is true for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon