Huge flaw in all newish Windows Phones - GPS

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
also i did not see anything indicating maaloo using satellite gps instead of a-gps...where did you see that?

Speculation on my part, but Maaloo works when away from cell coverage, so it has to use satellites. And it isn't that accurate inside the house, step outside and the accuracy improves without any data feed from showing on the cell or Wi-Fi icons. And in maps the satellite icon is next to the accuracy info on the top info bar.

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
OFFline maps - my old lumia 525 worked flawlessly offline (GPS - on / data - off), but on my 640 lte the gps would not work without data or wifi is on connected. This is happening with Windows 10 M. first I thought it was a problem with the Windows 10 mobile OS....

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
did you make any progress @avengerxp ? so GPS worked well on 8.1 and now it can't worek offline ? holy crap that is NOT GOOD!
i have the 640XL and ALMOST NEVER managed to make it work without internet ! THIS is a SERIOUS issue for all of lumia owners !
MANY of us posted on their forums...but they never bothered to update firmware ! i a totally pissed off at MICROSOFT !!! :eck:

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
did you make any progress @avengerxp ? so GPS worked well on 8.1 and now it can't worek offline ? holy crap that is NOT GOOD!
i have the 640XL and ALMOST NEVER managed to make it work without internet ! THIS is a SERIOUS issue for all of lumia owners !
MANY of us posted on their forums...but they never bothered to update firmware ! i a totally pissed off at MICROSOFT !!! :eck:

Found the thing! Windows 10 mobile "maps" app need data and gps to be on to work. but HERE maps works perfectly without data.

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I have no idea why windows maps need data when +HEREmaps work just fine, the point of downloaded maps to device is for offline navigation... not a big issue for me since I have my data ON always. but MS is loosing there highlight here

yogi01

May 4, 2015
Visit site
I have problems with sat-fixes on 640 on a regular basis.
Using the "Hardware Tests" app. I can see that the phone uses wlan networks or gsm transmitters as position source as long as there is no gps-fix. In a large city with many wlan networks and gsm transmitters the accouracy is fine then, so most people will not recognise they dont have gps.
This is what I have found so far:
- satellites are found very fast without data connection if the period of time since the last use of gps is short AND the location where you try to use gps is not far away from where you switched it of
- if you switch on data connection you get a quick satfix most of the time
- sometimes the gps-signal gets lost while using navigation (HERE, navicomputer). Signal is back after a long time, or when switching everything of and starting again (with data connection). Very annoying when you are driving alone.
The first two points are "typical" for a-gps i think.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon