specs are over-rated!!!

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
specs are overrated for a number of reasons and it seems that all people care about are the latest and greatest specs... who really cares?!?!? ive used every phone under the sun in the past 2 years, i change phones like i change my underwear... and i can speak from experience. specs are numbers, and nothing more. there is a lot more to phone quality other than the most RAM and the fastest processor. the OS is a huge part of what makes a phone smooth. android is a power hungry OS and therefor would run better with higher end specs. and thats why with every other android phone they have a faster processor or a more RAM. to me there is nothing groundbreaking about better specs. show me something that is useful, like an amazing accessory, or intuitive design. show me something that the average user can benefit from. show me deeper integration with the things we use on a day to day basis! give me a radio that works, not a quad core processor. we are getting way to consumed with specs. most of us here know, a first gen windows phone will run smoother and faster than a dual core ICS android with much higher specs... and i know technology is moving at a rapid pace, but it doesnt mean we have to have the latest specs to stay relevant! look at tv's for example. and 3d technology, does that mean if i buy a tv without 3d technology that it is dated? NO!!! in fact 3d is going to be dead very soon.

now cameras... The problem with having more than 8 in the Ativ is that by increasing the number of pixels, you need to either increase the sensor size or decrease the pixel size. Decreasing the pixel size leads to decreased image quality, wheras a bigger sensor would not fit in this phone - therefore it is pretty much at it's limit as far as resolution goes.

The Nokia pureview on the other hand has a massive sensor. In fact, each of its 41 million pixels is about the same size as each pixel in the samsung, so the quality of the pixels is just as good and there are more of them, hence a better image results. The other thing the Nokia can do isthe pureview mode, which uses an algorithm to shrink the 41MP image to either 8 or 5 MP. This basically has the effect of making an 8MP sensor with massive, super accurate pixels. So no matter what mode you use, it wins out over the 8MP image of the samsung.

As an aside, the other advantage of pureview is that you can do lossless digital zoom. Normal digital zoom at for example 8MP would just take a portion of that 8MP image (maybe 3MP depending on the zoom factor) and 'stretch' it out to 8MP, producing poor image quality. Because pureview has so many nice big pixels you can zoom and still be using 8 true megapixels, giving excellent image quality.

even with battery life you dont need a massive battery to run all day if the phone is optimized to consume very little battery life... a 1500 mah windows phone could run longer than a 3000 mah 4g android, depending on what the OS allows to run in the background, kernels, ect... so will a 2000 mah battery suffice? YES!!!

lets talk about hardware design? not much to say hear except there is no comparison when you feel how solid a nokia 900 feels compared to a sgs3... dont tell me durability isnt important...

so people please do us all a favor and STOP comparing everything by its specs! :excl::excl:

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I didn't even read all that, but no, specs are not overrated. It's only overrated if said specs are not being used properly where people are not actually seeing any actual improvements from the specs.

Of course people are going to compare specs, why wouldn't they. But people should also take the OS into consideration while looking at those specs.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
its a phone, not a ferrari... i didnt say specs arent important. what i said was they are overrated, and indeed they are. especially when dealing with an OS like ours. i'd rather concentrate on things more important. and if you would read the entire OP maybe you would agree

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
No I don't agree. I have no clue what the Ferrari analogy was attempting to convey.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Specs sell phones, specs cell everything.

be honest: when did specs start selling phones? Answer: when android bull dozed through the specs. I think anyone trying to play that game with android will lose. Personally I like apple and Microsoft's approach better.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Specs sell phones, specs cell everything.

Most people don't know about specs. they may ask, but they don't know what it means. If they DID, they wouldn't buy ANY "i" products, which are all loosing in spec wars. People seem to be fine with those "i" product though. SO, whether you like it or not, specs don't matter. Period. End of story.

what was the 4s? a dual core 800MHz or 1000Mhz dual core? Which ran barely faster than a 4, but oh my GOD, it had Siri, YOU GOTTA BUY IT!!!!! It DID sell more than any other phone, at least up until the last month or 2, BUT that is only because of the anticipated, "bestest phone ever" the iPhone 5. Anyone wanna guess how far behind the iPhone 5 is in terms of specs? But it will sell like hot cakes.

Last edited:

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Sorry outside and boredexpress sucks at editing long posts... Forgot To mention, the under spec'd iPhone 5 will cost more than current Gen android/WP8 devices, but you already knew that right?

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
No I don't agree. I have no clue what the Ferrari analogy was attempting to convey.

i wouldnt compare a kia to a ferrari like i would a nokia to a sgs3... point being specs arent as important when comparing phones, not like it would be when buying a car... get it?

and if we really want to talk about the specs, nokia did bring some game changing specs to their phones... pureview camera technology, the pixel density on the 920 is one of the highest on the market, some very innovative exclusive apps, and windows 8 of course.

i just think people are focusing way too much on things that arent as important. who cares about a quad core processor? nothing uses it... who cares abouot 2gb of ram, that overkill! you know what im saying?

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Most people don't know about specs. they may ask, but they don't know what it means. If they DID, they wouldn't buy ANY "i" products, which are all loosing in spec wars. People seem to be fine with those "i" product though. SO, whether you like it or not, specs don't matter. Period. End of story.

what was the 4s? a dual core 800MHz or 1000Mhz dual core? Which ran barely faster than a 4, but oh my GOD, it had Siri, YOU GOTTA BUY IT!!!!! It DID sell more than any other phone, at least up until the last month or 2, BUT that is only because of the anticipated, "bestest phone ever" the iPhone 5. Anyone wanna guess how far behind the iPhone 5 is in terms of specs? But it will sell like hot cakes.

Your absolutely correct. Go ask the next 10 people what the specs of their phone are and see how many know.

My guess is unless you have a friend on here none of the 10 would know.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
And just because someone doesn't know what the specs are, doesn't mean that specs don't matter!

Last edited:

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree, if people are JUST looking at specs and not the total experience, then they are losing out. My Samsung Focus ran just as well as my GSII, with lesser specs. But the GSII did things faster when it came to 3rd party apps and what not.

There's no need to put a quad-core in if it's not going to improve performance. If it's there just so the OEM can say it's there, then yes, it's a waste of time and money.
i wouldnt compare a kia to a ferrari like i would a nokia to a sgs3... point being specs arent as important when comparing phones, not like it would be when buying a car... get it?

and if we really want to talk about the specs, nokia did bring some game changing specs to their phones... pureview camera technology, the pixel density on the 920 is one of the highest on the market, some very innovative exclusive apps, and windows 8 of course.

i just think people are focusing way too much on things that arent as important. who cares about a quad core processor? nothing uses it... who cares abouot 2gb of ram, that overkill! you know what im saying?

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Until there are real world reviews of the new Nokia, Samsung and HTC wp8's I am keeping open minded. I was set on a Verizon Nokia but I don't care for the look of the too shiny 820. It will really come down to reviews and how they feel in my hand.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
You don't know what you're talking about.

And just because someone doesn't know what the specs are, doesn't mean that specs don't matter!

I think you may have misunderstood his post. He was responding to "specs sell phones" and in general they don't sell phones.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Indeed they do. But not to the average person. But to people on Android Central, BGR, Gizmodo... They are looking at spec.
I think you may have misunderstood his post. He was responding to "specs sell phones" and in general they don't sell phones.
I got that "specs were overrated" from the post.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I didn't read any of the posts honestly, but here is my reaction to the subject line:

what would you rather have:

Good specs but bad performance

OR

Great performance on standard specs

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree, if people are JUST looking at specs and not the total experience, then they are losing out. My Samsung Focus ran just as well as my GSII, with lesser specs. But the GSII did things faster when it came to 3rd party apps and what not.

There's no need to put a quad-core in if it's not going to improve performance. If it's there just so the OEM can say it's there, then yes, it's a waste of time and money.

this was my point... a review shouldnt be 90% based on specs... but rather preformance. and lower spec phone could run better with a better optimized OS.
hence, "specs are overrated"

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
this was my point... a review shouldnt be 90% based on specs... but rather preformance. and lower spec phone could run better with a better optimized OS.
hence, "specs are overrated"

THIS THIS AND MORE OF IT. This seems to be the standard for a lot of tech blogs nowadays. They actually have in their ratings judging if the specs aren't beefed up enough for them

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes