Why XBox SmartGlass is a failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The real solution would have been to have an answer to Apple's AirPlay & Mirroring. The idea that you can only do something like this with a Windows device to an XBox 360 is stupid. You should be able to stream or mirror from a Window Phone or Windows 8 device(PC, tablet) to any Windows 8 box or XBox. Once again, Microsoft's warring divisions undermine it.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Windows has had DLNA and Intel Video for years.

Airplay only works with expensive Apple devices and/or compatible licensed gear that costs an arm and a leg.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Windows has had DLNA and Intel Video for years.

Airplay only works with expensive Apple devices and/or compatible licensed gear that costs an arm and a leg.

Who cares? The point is once you buy Apple computers and devices(the latest ones), AirPlay and Mirroring just work without any hassles. Where is this DLNA for Windows devices? I haven't seen it.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
And with apples tech you can do this, stream to ANY dlna device, including TVs, or just apple devices? Yeah, though so.

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Support for streaming media from your Windows devices to other DLNA and "PlayTo" media devices (like TVs, Stereo Systems, XBOXes, PS3s, Windows Media Extender devices, and even TVs) can be found in Windows Media Center and Media Player, and even quite a few Windows Phone devices (the vendor generally has to provide support on such a low-power device, but for example Nokia and LG have DLNA-capable apps).

I will agree getting all of your apple devices to play together is easy, but so is getting all of your Microsoft-centric devices to do so is also easy. Going for the mixed-mode is where Apple requires 3rd party software (at the least), whereas Microsoft Windows, Home Server, and even some Windows Phones do this as well out of the box.

Use what works for you, of course, but vendor lock-in isn't usually a good thing if you ever want to change in the future.

Last edited:

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
So you should be able to stream from one WP to any Win 8 computer is what you are saying? Or that Microsoft should develop an item that you can connect to the internet and stream shows and things like that on? I'm using smartbox from my windows 8 pc on my Xbox and it works quite nicely. Not sure what you want it to that it won't or if you have even tried it.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I thought Airplay was playing a video from an iphone, ipad, etc. over wifi through an Apple TV device to a television? How is this so superior to what Microsoft is going to do?

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My point is that I'm a tech geek but I don't even know what Microsoft has in this area. But I know exactly what Apple has because they advertise it like crazy. Another marketing failure?

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
you call everything a failure. What a lunatic

People are buying Macs like crazy because Apple advertises things like AirPlay & Mirroring. Don't you think that's something to be concerned about? I read some analyst estimates that Macs could be 25% of all PCs sold in 2013.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
People are buying Macs like crazy because Apple advertises things like AirPlay & Mirroring. Don't you think that's something to be concerned about? I read some analyst estimates that Macs could be 25% of all PCs sold in 2013.
If you want to be negative. do it somewhere else. Not here :mad:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon