Slashgear taking Lumia 920 pics - wants YOUR input

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Maybe this should go down in the 920 section but I get the feeling its a bit time-sensitive and I think the more people that contribute to it, the better.

Slashgear are currently (as in right now) taking suggestions for comparison pics to be directly compared to the Samsung Galaxy S3 (the article suggests they might compare it with other phones directly soon)

Nokia Lumia 920 PureView camera hands-on vs Samsung Galaxy S III - SlashGear

From the pictures I've seen there, all of which are uncompressed, it's fairly clear to me that the 920 is picking up the same details and exhibits clearer colours than the S3, but there's a definite noise reduction filter or something software being added to cause that amount of bluriness. Simply comment in the Slashgear article with your suggestion and let's get to the bottom of this!

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Well I can tell for a fact that the Target picture is WAY overexposed by the GS3. I'll reserve judgement until I try one at the store. Plus, who knows what firmware these are running on.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to know which part of the planet those leaf pictures on the S3 were taken. Because I would imagine in most parts of the U.S. and Canada those babies are dead and grey like in the 920 picture.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Winterfang, we can get to the link, homes. No need to embed those huge as* pictures.

I'm just trying to be helpful.
iKredmumvujX3.gif

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
In the Lumia's image of the leaves, it looks like the white balance is wrong, I don't think the dirt of the road should look bluish like that. If you zoom in, you see less detail because of the aggressive noise reduction.

The Galaxy S III doesn't seem to do that great either, it retains more detail but actually looks sort of out of focus. The edges of the leaves don't appear to be as sharp as I would expect.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
The article has been update with more images now - I think the noise post processing is most obvious in the rubber ducky picture. I'm hopeful it's a software thing.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
There's no comparison in the low light category. The GS3 pictures were simply unusuable.

The GS3 does win in the Dog and Rubber duck pictures. Much crisper and better details.

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The running dog and dark basement set are definitely in favor of the 920. That's definitely more the type of shots I'll be taking.

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
There's no comparison in the low light category. The GS3 pictures were simply unusuable.

The GS3 does win in the Dog and Rubber duck pictures. Much crisper and better details.

I prefer the Lumia 920 for the dog. The first 920 pic isn't as sharp, but the color temperature seems warmer and more natural to me. The Galaxy S3 has more detail in the first shot, but looks comparatively washed out.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

The GS3 shot is overexposed though. Look at the wall, it's white enough it looks like it's part of the page. It does capture more detail. I'm not sure what to think of the Lumia's shot. Do the colors actually look like that in real life is what I would ask.

Last edited:

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The GS3 shot is a overexposed though. Look at the wall, it's white enough it looks like it's part of the page. It does capture more detail. I'm not sure what to think of the Lumia's shot. Do the colors actually look like that in real life is what I would ask.

Yeah, the GS3 overexposure is pervasive. So when you're outdoors with it, you'd better hope no bright light appears anywhere in your frame or the whole shot begins to blow out.

Then, when you have no light, get ready for blur/dark/noise city.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon