Is it me or is windows 8 phone transfer app on Windows 7 runbbish?

swanny78

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi I have just got myself a HTC 8x and im very impressed by the phone, infact its awesome. One major downside however... I had a Lumia 800 and a zune pass all registered on my hotmail account. When I got my new phone I took the time to upgrade my hotmail account to outlook.com, basically transfered the account. Xbox music, xbox SkyDrive, email all work fine under my new account.

Now heres the rub and I don't know if it related to above but when I first plugged my phone into my win 8 pc i had to download a media transfer app as zune desktop is not compatible with windows 8 phone...fine I knew that. The problem is the app is rubbish really rubbish. Issues:

1. It list all of my music but sometime splits albums in 2, half the songs on one album and rest on another
2. When I try to play synched content on my phone it displays an error saying something like "cant obtain license information for this media content and skips the album. I can search the store and download it again directly from my phone and it works. Its as off the qpp is jot pulling the license across for my account
3. Complete lack of any functionality on the xfer app, other than tick an artist and sync that's al you can do. You cant show by album etc...

Is this ms way of forcing you to windows 8 pc as the sync app is more like zune desktop on that.

I cant be the only one who's experience is being ruined by this major issue

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Since Windows 7 will see WP8 as a drive, you should be able to use other sync software. You could even try Media Player. If you do let me know how it works. I have been very curious.

nizzon

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Problem #1 i have on many of my albums in Zune on my Win7. Really bad bug and the only thing I found that fixed it was to delete the album from Zune and resync it.

Hopefully its fixed in Win8.

swanny78

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Since Windows 7 will see WP8 as a drive, you should be able to use other sync software. You could even try Media Player. If you do let me know how it works. I have been very curious.

I tried via media player and simple drag and drop neither work as the drm wont allow that type of sync. I can only assume that zune has not fully recognised my change of account from Hotmail to Outlook.
Im going to try win 8 and see if that works.

swanny78

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: I upgraded to windows 8 and still had the same problem. Sync is easier with the phone app, but still not as good as zune was. Also the DRM issues were resolved by changing my outlook account password. I hadn't changed it when i changed to outlook.com from hotmail.com. Only issue now is if i download an album from my phone and sync to pc it won't play it on pc. Another call into ms I think.

geoken

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: I upgraded to windows 8 and still had the same problem. Sync is easier with the phone app, but still not as good as zune was. Also the DRM issues were resolved by changing my outlook account password. I hadn't changed it when i changed to outlook.com from hotmail.com. Only issue now is if i download an album from my phone and sync to pc it won't play it on pc. Another call into ms I think.

Do any of the existing sync apps (either the win 8 or the desktop version) allow you to sync either your old zune playlists or playlists you created in the Win 8 metro app?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes