DRM Issues

A_J_L

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
So

I've just got myself a shiny new Nokia 820. Whilst I'm extremely pleased with the phone and new OS, there is one issue:

Due to the lack of a Spotify app on Windows Phone 8, I decided to give Xbox Music a go, with a 30 day trial (this was yesterday, so that's not the problem). This was great through the entirety of yesterday.
This morning, however, I wake up to find none of the synced music will play and comes up with 'We are unable to confirm the media usage rights for this content'.

After a quick google, this seems to be a fairly wide-spread problem. Does anyone have any suggestions/ any more information on the problem?

Josef Herbert

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I generally just restarted my phone or connected it to my PC and it would fix the problem c: And there is a Spotify app on Windows Phone 7.5, not so sure about WP8 though

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
So

I've just got myself a shiny new Nokia 820. Whilst I'm extremely pleased with the phone and new OS, there is one issue:

Due to the lack of a Spotify app on Windows Phone 8, I decided to give Xbox Music a go, with a 30 day trial (this was yesterday, so that's not the problem). This was great through the entirety of yesterday.
This morning, however, I wake up to find none of the synced music will play and comes up with 'We are unable to confirm the media usage rights for this content'.

After a quick google, this seems to be a fairly wide-spread problem. Does anyone have any suggestions/ any more information on the problem?

I've bee battling sync and/or playlist issues with XBOX Music for a few weeks now with my Windows 8 PC, XBOX and Surface...now, the problem is with my Lumia 920.

I am coming from a ZuneHD and I decided I will give XBOX Music a try but this is a nightmare. And I am a Spotify user as well and am for sure not dumping it until they get some cohesion to this whole syncing issue.

pintozoz

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Having this same issue. Which is strange, because some music will play, but not others. All songs were downloaded through Zune music pass. I can also sync some of them through the store in the 920, others will not.

It's getting annoying.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I contacted Customer Service and this is a wide spread issue. I was told that this should be resolved in the next update.

Next Update? That could be months away...So for now, no playlist and manually copying music over via the app or downloading directly on the phone via XBOX music pass. Wow...

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I've download three albums (over wifi) on my Lumia 920 and none of them have the issues with DRM. I had the same issues as the OP but I decided that I would go ahead and delete all the content I had on my PC first. I uninstalled and reinstalled Zune and applied any updates I had on my Win 8 machine. For about 10 minutes prior I couldn't even download music from Zune but reinstalling and updating the computer helped. I did not transfer files from the PC to my phone though. I will test that tonight. (It got late for me)

hunterpredd

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Here is how the problem presented itself for me.
Lumia 900 for about a year now. Over 1000 songs downloaded via zune pass (not purchased). My PC is windows 7. Sync all my songs between my pc and my lumia 900. Bought lumia 920. Plugged it in, downloaded new windows phone app for my pc. It did sync all my music from my Zune app on my pc to the new windows phone app on my pc. Then i proceeded to sync all my music to my shiny new lumia 920. All my music that I had now will not play on my 920 because of the DRM message.

All music that I ***PURCHASED*** works just fine because i purchased the DRM rights as opposed to "renting" them w/ my zune pass subscription.

Music that i have downloaded directly to my new lumia 920 from the xbox music store will play perfectly fine. Issue is w/ old content from my pc.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
So

Spotify has stated the wp8 version will be out "soon" take that for what its worth lol

halfynailz

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I have moved from windows 7.5 using the zune pass, to the Lumia 920, and xbox music pass. First problem i encountered was trying to sync all the music I was using on Zune to the new phone. Wouldn't do it. I don't have a windows 8 laptop or pc, I managed a few tracks, and had the DRM issue with it not working. So I thought what the ****, I'll try redownloading DIRECT from the phone, direct from xbox music, and reinstalling everything from scratch. (approx 2000 music tracks) Did a few albums, kept checking, and everything was working fine. So continued, took me about 3 days on and off, searching for tracks, and downloading, finally finished it all, was happy, went to play music, and now not a single track will play. this is B**LSH*T! If anyone knows a solution, share, because it's pathetic!

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Just reposting what I put on another similar discussion, as I had the same problem but was able to fix it.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/207511-can-download-but-not-listen-xbox-music.html

Fortunately (in hindsight), I had the same problem last night, and was not able to fix it with Xbox support (though they credited me the month of service). It seems to be a DRM issue where the initial license for your phone expires when your free trial does, and won't automatically update when the trial expires and you start paying for the service. I was (luckily) able to figure a workaround that reauthorizes the phone. Prior to fixing it, I had been able to stream songs on Xbox Music but if I downloaded them they didn't work. Now all songs work through streaming and downloading.
1. Go to Music + Videos, then click music
2. Scroll to the right until you get to "Songs"
3. Press the green "All" button and choose "Cloud Collection"
4. While there was nothing there for me (not sure why not), I then hit the elipses "..." and then the "play button". My phone then tried to play all the Xbox music songs on my phone, but while the first didn't work, it seemingly prompted the xbox music server for a new license and jumped right into the next songs.

tuvatom

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for this post ... I had the exact same issues when my 30-day trial ended. Using your workaround, ALL of my DRM licenses were updated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett