textPlus on WP8

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey, all. :) Question... I've been using textPlus on my iPhone for about a month or more now to conserve my texts in my plan (only have 500). I was wondering if anyone has tried this app with their WP8 device yet? I wanted to know if any of you have had reasonable or good experiences with it because on the WP Store page for the app, the reviewers claim the opposite. :-/

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used it, but WP8 allows you to back up your phone and your texts too, using your Skydrive, so the third party app wouldn't be necessary.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I've never used WhatsApp, thinking of it. Will it allow me to send texts to people who don't also use the app? Also, I want to be sure that if I send people texts through it, they can respond to me via the app. textPlus does this. If WhatsApp does, then I would get that one. Does it?

Thanks for the replies!

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I've never used WhatsApp, thinking of it. Will it allow me to send texts to people who don't also use the app? Also, I want to be sure that if I send people texts through it, they can respond to me via the app. textPlus does this. If WhatsApp does, then I would get that one. Does it?

Thanks for the replies!

WhatsApp requires recipients to have the client software (it doesn't support sending SMSes, but rather SMS-like messages), but the client is available for every smartphone platform (as well as Windows 7/8, Mac, and iPad). If you can convince your friends to install the app, it will bring your text message costs way down.

You could shift most of your friends over, and then use your text allowances solely for those who don't have a smartphone.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, BRMiller. I can ask my two closest friends to get it because they have WP7 and Android phones. Just wish I still had 800 texts in my plan like I did two years ago!

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
The charges for texting are ridiculous. I wish they could just route the texts through the data plan instead so you wouldn't have to pay extra...but of course that's easy money for the carriers that they'd lose out on...

The cool thing about WhatsApp is that it tells you which of your contacts already have it - only 2 people in my case, but better than none!

kantFTW

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The charges for texting are ridiculous. I wish they could just route the texts through the data plan instead so you wouldn't have to pay extra...but of course that's easy money for the carriers that they'd lose out on...

The cool thing about WhatsApp is that it tells you which of your contacts already have it - only 2 people in my case, but better than none!

Um, that's like saying you wish your water bill and your electricity bill were the same thing and that utilities companies are scamming you because, hey, why don't they just send electricity on down the water pipes? SMS works completely different from MMS, which uses your data services (EDGE, 3G, HSPA+, WiMax, LTE, etc.). The carriers could start sending SMS and voice down data pipelines, but that would cause our already congested data speeds to get even slower. You're charged separately, because you're using two totally different aspects of the network; two totally different aspects of the network are used, because it keeps data speeds and voice networks from getting congested; congestion is when your phone doesn't do what you want and you QQ rage at your carrier for sucking.

As per the OP, have you tried GroupMe? I used to use TextPlus with my friends and fam and we switched to GroupMe. Also, cute tiel!!! I wish I could get mine to stop singing the GW2 battle music >.<

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
As per the OP, have you tried GroupMe? I used to use TextPlus with my friends and fam and we switched to GroupMe. Also, cute tiel!!! I wish I could get mine to stop singing the GW2 battle music >.<

Nope, never used that. Is it just available to WP? If so, that's why I haven't ever used it. The Lumia 810 will be my first ever. :D

Thanks! His name is Ozzy, named after Ozzy Osbourne because he was playing on the radio in the car when we got him. :p

rantanplan1980

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Hike offers SMS via Hike if the recipient doesn't have the Hike app. If the recipient has Hike, the message is free.
This might be what you're looking for.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, I got my new phone tonight and tried textPlus on it, but no dice. I get an error message instead.

Can anyone tell me if kik will send texts to people who don't also have the app? That's one of the things I love about textPlus, so it would really be great if this is a possibility.

AZBrowncoat

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, I got my new phone tonight and tried textPlus on it, but no dice. I get an error message instead.

Can anyone tell me if kik will send texts to people who don't also have the app? That's one of the things I love about textPlus, so it would really be great if this is a possibility.

Receiving the following error from TextPlus
Error - Failed to register your device. Do you wish to retry?

Tried 'retry' over and over and even deleted re-installed the app. Issue persists through soft reset as well.

Tried KIK and although it does seem to work well it would appear that both parties have to have the same app and you do not receive a real textable number unlike TextPlus.

Bati Tsogtsaikhan

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
So far the only app that I know can send text to real numbers is textplus. Unfortunately it doesn't work on wp8 yet so I have been using whatsapp. realized a number of my friends have it so it wasn't a problem. I am still waiting for textplus to get updated asap though because it just works better and keeps record of my texts in the cloud(on ios and android, at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon