Google Discussions Disabled in Windows 8 Phone / IE10 ?

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google Blocking

huh? just went to maps.google.com on my 920 and it worked fine

There is no reason for Google to block anything, they are an advertising company and just want views......

ksj1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Is Bing also ignoring it because when I go to bing.com in IE10 on my Nokia Lumia 920 I don't get the filter options either.
Tap the three dots at the bottom of the page, go into settings, then choose the desktop version under website preference. I get the normal Bing home page when I do that. Filters are there just like on the desktop.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

There is no reason for Google to block anything, they are an advertising company and just want views......

Which browser did you use? Could you please upload a screenshot? It would be awesome if I could use Google maps even if its through the browser.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site

I just tried the same thing and I was sent to the default Google mobile search page, not maps.

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

This is what I see when I try to visit Google Maps, when I click 'Visit Now' it sends me to the mobile home page (first time I've visited a Google site on my 920... feels dirty).

nomaps.png

iknowsingh

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

And the j2me version does not install correct?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Doesn't seem so... I click that link, and the screen then says 'tap to open'. I do that, it asks me to search for an app in the store. I click 'yes' and then the phone says 'Sorry, no apps found'.

A big, empty circle of nothing.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site

Doesn't seem so... I click that link, and the screen then says 'tap to open'. I do that, it asks me to search for an app in the store. I click 'yes' and then the phone says 'Sorry, no apps found'.

A big, empty circle of nothing.

Yeah, same here. Pretty sure FinsUpDNC didn't actually go to maps.google.com. I've tried it in mobile mode and desktop mode; I've tried going to the "classic" Google.com homepage and tapping "Maps" from the top navigation bar, also in both mobile and desktop modes... I'm always kicked out to either the mobile Google page, or a page telling me that Google Maps will not work on my device. There's no chance that FinsUpDNC got it to work on his 920.

manunitedfan5

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
They may also be blocking the Google "Discussions" search feature. I posted a thread about this a couple of days ago:http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...iscussions-disabled-windows-8-phone-ie10.htmlDownloading the google search app helped resolve this problem. I can't wait until Bing implements that feature so I can disconnect from google completely.
I downloaded the google search app when I had my lumia 2 weeks ago and there was no discussions.. Is there an option for discussions now ? Just like when you hit more on android or iOS ?I returned the lumia and now thinking of buying it again because discussions is very important to me.. And Instagram but that's a different topic lol

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

Just going back and updating. After my first few days of this working on my 920, it now sends me off to google mobile....sorry for not responding sooner guys, I forgot about this thread! Have to get better at this.

Lnin0

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Google isn't in the business of making phones. Google is in the advertising business. Android is simply a delivery and collection system for their product - aggregated customer data for targeted advertising. They don't make money from developing Android and giving it away.

I think as Windows 8 and Windows 8 RT proliferates it will be hard for any develop to ignore the platform. Really, it is a genius idea by Microsoft as there is no way, competing head-to-head in just the mobile space, they could have caught up to iOS and Android when it comes to app availability. With Windows 8 they can essentially combine the customer base from three different devices into one.

While I am sure Google would relish the idea of controlling the bulk of the mobile market - and all the customer demographics and info that come with it - it is probably a far fetched idea. Apple doesn't like to share control of anything and would sever them completely from iOS if they could. The worst thing for Google isn't that people give up on Android...but they start finding alternatives to GAPPS. That will happen if Google doesn't make a serious bid to get on as many platforms as possible. So while Google may not want to get saddle up with Microsoft it is probably in their best interest to embrace the Windows 8 ecosystem. It is unrealistic to think that the Windows ecosystem is going to collapse all that soon no matter how much pressure you put on it with your $250 laptop or free phone o/s.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon