Not a troll post, but bear with me for a sec please.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Just an interesting perspective here on the phone size. I previously had a Focus Flash, which was comparable to the iPhone 4/s in size. It always felt too small, like I was going to break it. Had to constantly check my pocket to make sure it was there. My 920 feels reasuring, noticeable without being overburdening.

Another odd tidbit, the Flash was only 4 grams heavier than the iPhone 5

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I think WP will do fine as long as MS doesn't pull an HP and toss in the towel if it doesn't sell like hot cakes right out the shoot. As for size not worried there, the days of the postage stamp size phone are over. The evolution of the smartphone is underway and soon they will all be phonlet's.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
2. If Apple made a phone with a 5" screen, people would flock to it and yell how it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Peoples perceptions change drastically when it's the company they support. Personally, I love my 920 but I wish they would've gone with a 5" screen :)

I don't think that's the case. I would imagine the majority of people want a smartphone that's 4.3" or less. I'm not saying that's a fact, but most people I know don't want huge phones and neither do I.

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Ok, to clear things up, I am not speaking from my own experience. My colleague told me he couldn't do that so I just echoed his remarks. Maybe he did it wrong? I don't know. I am not within distance to help him out with that.

Yes WP 7.5 and WP 8 supports Exchange....or at least I can get company e-mail, calendars, contacts, etc. I can even use Lync for instant messaging.

-Scienide-

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that's the case. I would imagine the majority of people want a smartphone that's 4.3" or less. I'm not saying that's a fact, but most people I know don't want huge phones and neither do I.

I would probably have agreed with you about a year ago and then along came the Galaxy Note. The press ripped it to pieces for its huge screen and so did everyone I knew... and then the sales figures came in. Then the Galaxy Note 2 arrived, and the sales figures came in again. iPhones screen got bigger, Samsung screens got bigger, everyones screens got bigger.

They make it and we buy it so there must be a demand for bigger screens. Obviously there are a whole ton of people who prefer smaller screens, no doubt about that, but they can't be in the majority or they would be the targets of the big companies.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
There is no denying the iPhone is a great device. I just responded to another post regarding WP and that its not for everyone. The same holds true with Apple.

WP is still a young platform. Apple has a five year head start so you have to expect there gonna have more apps, accessories, etc. I stuck with WP because I believe in where this platform is going. I believe the Microsoft ecosystem will greatly surpass that of either Apple or Google.

I believe.

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok, to clear things up, I am not speaking from my own experience. My colleague told me he couldn't do that so I just echoed his remarks. Maybe he did it wrong? I don't know. I am not within distance to help him out with that.

As far as competition with apple goes, Samsung just crept up on Apple as far as sales go. Apple has been leading the pack when it comes to manufacturer for a long time. And there is a good reason to, but like I said before, I am with WP8. I just wished that with all the progress the other OS have made, MS could have simply took a few basic features and added it on to make it more enticing. Nothing special. Volume separation, the ability to scrub audio, the ability to save videos from e-mail, etc. Those features are nothing special when it's included, but when excluded they can deter a possible converts thought train. People who aren't in the "know" need warm fuzzies about an OS before giving up all of what they have known for years. People use their smartphones differently. Some left out features could make people wait.

Apple has never lead in smartphone sales...

2011 smartphone sales

1. Samsung 94 million
2. Apple 93 million
3. Nokia 77 million

2010 smartphone sales

1. Nokia 100 million
2. Rim 48 million
3. Apple 48 million

2009 smartphone sales:

1.Nokia 68 million
2.RIM 37 million
3.Apple 25 million

2008 smartphone sales

1. Nokia 61 million
2.RIM 23 million
3.Apple 11 million

2007 smartphone sales

1. Nokia 60 million
2.RIM 11 million
3.Apple 3 million

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
1. I don't buy the apps thing anymore. More than enough people have converted to WP and have great alternatives from third party developers. It's true there are only a few big name apps missing but they will come eventually.

We don't really know how many people have converted. WP market share was very small pre-WP8, and while it seems like it's going well, time will tell if WP cracks 10% market share. It's not just that there are a few big apps missing, it's that the next big app will also be missing. It's the fear that the next instagram, or words with friends, will mostly pass us by or at best we'll get it months later. It's also the cases where "alternatives" don't work. Foursquare/Urbanspoon are an alternative to Yelp, but they don't connect me to me my Yelp account, friends, or reviews. Lomogram is better than Instagram in some ways, but doesn't connect to the social side of Instagram.

2. If Apple made a phone with a 5" screen, people would flock to it and yell how it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Peoples perceptions change drastically when it's the company they support. Personally, I love my 920 but I wish they would've gone with a 5" screen :)

Yup, they'd scream themselves hoarse that 5" is too big, how 4 inches is the perfect size, but as soon as apple releases a 5", it would be the greatest thing ever. They won't even remember that last year they were whining that 3.5 was perfect and 4 was too big.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Yup, they'd scream themselves hoarse that 5" is too big, how 4 inches is the perfect size, but as soon as apple releases a 5", it would be the greatest thing ever. They won't even remember that last year they were whining that 3.5 was perfect and 4 was too big.

Yep. Remember that back before 3G, they screamed that 3G was a battery killer... now it's "essential." Ditto 4G LTE, multitasking, real-time e-mail sync, and so on. ;)

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Yep. Remember that back before 3G, they screamed that 3G was a battery killer... now it's "essential." Ditto 4G LTE, multitasking, real-time e-mail sync, and so on. ;)

Remember how they said they didn't need a notification center, that disappearing popups and on-icon counters were enough...

:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes