What's it going to take to sync?

jce333

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I had no problem syncing my HD2 via active sync, to Outlook. Wa la, all of my updates were there. For the life of me I can't figure out how to do this with my new Nokia 810. Trying to talk with Nokia support is almost laughable. Any suggestions? I also don't see where I can access my Contact Groups that are in Outlook throught the phones contacts? Nokia said through my Windows Live acct. everything would be in the cloud. That's a long ways away. I want my changes made from the phone to get updated in Outlook on my PC. Thanks!

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
We need more info.

Do you use Outlook via an Exchange server?
Do you have an existing MS Account?

The Nokia rep is correct that WP8 keeps all of your contact information in a cloud. There is no way I am aware of to sync contact directly from a PC. When I first went to WP7 I had to move all of my contacts over to my Hotmail account so they would get put into their cloud.

I would check with Microsoft. I'm sure they have some documentation on how to move your stuff.

jce333

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I actually use yahoo mail but never open it. Outlook is tied to my yahoo account. All of my contacts, calendar and mail are done from my home pc using Outlook. I am trying to find out what it will take to get new info I add on my phone back to Outlook on my pc. I also need to have my current Outlook calendar info synced to my phone. I do have a windows live account.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If your contacts and calendar are stored locally in Outlook, move them to your Microsoft account and setup Outlook to sync with that. Then do the same on your phone. Effectively you're making your Microsoft account your source for your contacts and calendar with both Outlook and your 810 getting the information from there, instead of having Outlook itself as the source.

Doing so will insure that if you make a change on your phone, it shows up in your Outlook and vice-versa. You could also make changes via the web and they'll show up in both Outlook and your 810.

jce333

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
@iamtim - thanks. I think I understand what you're saying but I'm not clear on how I move contacts and calendar to my Microsoft account? I guess I don't know exactly how the cloud works!

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
@iamtim - thanks. I think I understand what you're saying but I'm not clear on how I move contacts and calendar to my Microsoft account? I guess I don't know exactly how the cloud works!
Likely you will have to export them to a csv file and upload them to outlook.com. Haven't done it so I don't know if the option is there though.

Whatever you do, make a backup of your contacts from desktop Outlook before trying anything and stick it in a safe place.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Likely you will have to export them to a csv file and upload them to outlook.com. Haven't done it so I don't know if the option is there though.

Whatever you do, make a backup of your contacts from desktop Outlook before trying anything and stick it in a safe place.

This... especially that last part, 1000 times that. :)

Log in to your Live account, go to the calendar and contacts options, and there should be some sort of instructions on how to do it. But philpeeps is right, it'll probably be some sort of export and import deal.

jce333

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
All of these ideas sound doable, and I'm willing to make these attempts but geesh, why can't it be as simple as it was when all I had to do was plug in my cable, active sync would pop open, synchronization would start, then finish and everything was where it was suppose to be. I really was hoping that with a newer Windows phone all of these processes would be so much easier! Wishful thinking.

jce333

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, just having a problem with the fact that I have to go through so many hoops to get this done. Having a hard time understanding why the work has be put on the end user. Why can't microsoft make their software work with their phone software and have that big 'ol cloud swoop down from the sky and take what it wants!

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, just having a problem with the fact that I have to go through so many hoops to get this done. Having a hard time understanding why the work has be put on the end user. Why can't microsoft make their software work with their phone software and have that big 'ol cloud swoop down from the sky and take what it wants!

The world be changing. To what everyone else is saying. Its a big step and a little bit of work. Give it a month and you will never want to go back to what your currently used to.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
No disrespect, but suck it up this time, buttercup, and just deal with it. Outlook desktop sync has been on it's way out for years now, only hanging on for a few legacy users.

It is MUCH easier in the cloud, once it is there. It is really a simple process.

Back when I was using Outlook desktop sync via AS with my Dell Axims and WM phones, it was always a crap shoot if my AS content would sync properly when switching to a new device. Half the time, it would wipe out all my data. Thankfully, I knew to make backups.

After having it in the cloud for the last 6-8 years or so, I have NEVER lost a contact across about 8 phones, 4 computers, and a tablet. I plug in the login credentials and it just works. If ever faced with the situation that I have to hard reset a device while away from the desktop, I just input the credentials and watch it populate my data instantly and have a working device with all my contact and calendar data in just a few minutes from reset.

jce333

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I'll suck it up. Is there a site where I can go and find out exactly the steps I have to take? I already have the skydrive acct set up through my windows live acct. and a hotmail acct that I've never ever used. I currently have my yahoo and hotmail acct both synced on my phone. Thanks again for all of the great advice!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes