Interesting Windows Phone stats where Nokia dominates - bad thing or a very bad thing?

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Maybe Samsung is waiting for windows to stabilize and update their OS, so that Samsung owners won't be stuck with a big, outdated, half-functioning device like the Lumia 920!

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Maybe Samsung is waiting for windows to stabilize and update their OS, so that Samsung owners won't be stuck with a big, outdated, half-functioning device like the Lumia 920!

or they can just copy it and call it their own. Samsung is good at that!

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'll be honest here. I'd love if Nokia became the only WP OEM. Part of why Apple devices have been so solid is the tight control of hardware by the company. I think that , given lackluster commitment from other partners, moving the platform to a Surface brand powered by Nokia could be just the thing MS needs.

Even though I prefer Nokia to the other brands and I'm a huge fan of them since long before Windows Phone, I can't say I agree with this. I want whatever is going to give Windows Phone the best chance for success and right now I think that's a playing field that includes Samsung, HTC and others, despite the fact that they are minions of the green robot and have made mostly half-hearted efforts to date.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

Samsung is probably upset because Microsoft won't let them crap all over their OS with a jittering, lagging crapstastic skin like TouchWiz.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
It looks like the low to mid range budget phones are dominating. Nokia has a lot more options in that range, so it makes sense that they're outselling the competition.

Nah, we don't want LG back, LOL.
It's never a bad thing to have more manufacturers on board. By most accounts, the Nexus 4 is a great phone, at a crazy low price. If they make a WP like that then sign me up. That would be a great phone for anyone who buys off contract.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
or they can just copy it and call it their own. Samsung is good at that!

OWIZK.gif

ImAdrian23

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Nokia is the same Samsung is with Android, leading. HTC is 2nd on both platforms (if I'm not mistaking).
I believe it's great for both (Nokia + Consumers). However I'd like Nokia to fuse with HTC (I know I'm over repeating). Best of bothworlds... Beats + Monster, Nokia's Design + HTC's Design, Nokia's updated + HTC's ... well I still want the fuse and I still think it would benefit them and us too.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm all for more choices. HTC has really changed their focus on WP with their newest phones. Their original hardware for WP is beautiful. Now if they could just make an 8X that's shorter and has a microSD slot, then they'll be racking up some nice sales (or not...I don't know...:p).

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Nokia is the same Samsung is with Android, leading. HTC is 2nd on both platforms (if I'm not mistaking).
I believe it's great for both (Nokia + Consumers). However I'd like Nokia to fuse with HTC (I know I'm over repeating). Best of bothworlds... Beats + Monster, Nokia's Design + HTC's Design, Nokia's updated + HTC's ... well I still want the fuse and I still think it would benefit them and us too.

No thanks. HTC has nothing to offer Nokia.

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Except for some advice on making slimmer, lighter phones. And the concept of actually making a phone available on its launch day. And making phones available on more networks without exclusivity contracts. And more competitive pricing outside the US.

Nokia fanboys, eh...

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site

If the 920 had a dedicated image processing chip, you don't think that would possibly eliminate some of the issues we have with software processing softening images? Dedicated hardware is almost always better than software. The Dolby EQ on the 920 may or may not be better than Beats Audio on the 8X, but could amplifiers for the headphone jack and the speakers improve the sound quality? I bet they could. How about a higher quality FFC?

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
That chart does not surprise me at all. That is what happens when you make good products and support them.

I am not a Nokia ******. Though coming from a HTC Titan II, I am becoming a Nokia fan.

Last edited:

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

Au contraire. Nokia is good at making really cheap, thick phones (like the L710) and really thick, heavy high-end phones (like the L920).

HTC has a good eye for design and makes some really nice, lightweight devices like the 8X. The Radar is also a far better device in build quality, aesthetics and capability than the 710... I was always amazed that anybody would buy the 710 when offered the Radar as an alternative.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If the 920 had a dedicated image processing chip, you don't think that would possibly eliminate some of the issues we have with software processing softening images? Dedicated hardware is almost always better than software. The Dolby EQ on the 920 may or may not be better than Beats Audio on the 8X, but could amplifiers for the headphone jack and the speakers improve the sound quality? I bet they could. How about a higher quality FFC?

The Nokia 808 has a dedicated image processing chip. I wouldn't be surprised to see a dedicated chip in a Nokia Windows Phone offering in the near future. But it won't be because they got it from HTC.

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'll be honest here. I'd love if Nokia became the only WP OEM. Part of why Apple devices have been so solid is the tight control of hardware by the company. I think that , given lackluster commitment from other partners, moving the platform to a Surface brand powered by Nokia could be just the thing MS needs.

Microsoft is keeping pretty tight controls on WP8. Microsoft gives you only 4 screen resolutions, did not allow for dual core support or SD cards in WP7.5, ect. Hopefully this can keep the OS stable and solid. If done properly, it will also mean that MS can send updates directly and without modifications based on the hardware. Android allowed anyone to update the OS, and hopefully MS will learn from the mistake.

But I do like having options for the hardware. HTC has some real advantages over Nokia, and I am sure Samsung will have some too. I still think I will stick with Nokia, at least for now. The phone looks different from the other phones out there.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Au contraire. Nokia is good at making really cheap, thick phones (like the L710) and really thick, heavy high-end phones (like the L920).

HTC has a good eye for design and makes some really nice, lightweight devices like the 8X. The Radar is also a far better device in build quality, aesthetics and capability than the 710... I was always amazed that anybody would buy the 710 when offered the Radar as an alternative.

Building a lighter phone isn't some kind of remarkable technological advance. Nokia could use thinner, lighter plastics if they wanted to. They simply choose not to.

HTC has made contributions, but in the history of the cell phone, Nokia is far more significant for what they've done. Nokia was innovating in cell phone design 10-15 years before HTC even existed as a company.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes