Help! File structure for music that I am moving from my PC to WP8

stressds

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been getting mixed results when moving a bunch of music from my PC to my Lumia 920. What is the best file structure to get everything to transfer properly, as well as the cover art?

Normally I would use

Level 1 ---> Artist Name
Level 2 ---> Album Name
Level 3 ---> Track Number - Song Title
Level 3 ---> Cover.jpg

Is there another method? I really would prefer to not switch everything, but I will if it means keeping everything organized properly. Oh, and I should make it clear that I don't use iTunes, but rather have had a bunch of apps over the years to play music...

Thanks!

Last edited:

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I've been getting mixed results when moving a bunch of music from my PC to my Lumia 920. What is the best file structure to get everything to transfer properly, as well as the cover art?

Normally I would use

Level 1 ---> Artist Name
Level 2 ---> Album Name
Level 3 ---> Track Number - Song Title
Level 3 ---> Cover.jpg

Is there another method? I really would prefer to not switch everything, but I will if it means keeping everything organized properly. Oh, and I should make it clear that I don't use iTunes, but rather have had a bunch of apps over the years to play music...

Thanks!

WP doesn't organize your music when it's on the device, it simply parses the files for sorting information. On my external drive i have my music organized as such by folders:
[Drive letter]:\Music\[Artist]\[Album]\[Songfiles...]

With the WP for Desktop app that is used to sync your media, you only have the option to sync music from your libraries or from an iTunes folder. Since my music is on an external [hard drive] i had to add those folders to my Windows 7 music library and then sync.

I haven't touched any of my album art. ALL of my songs had correct album art with Zune and with WP8 it's not liking how some of them are set up. So some are blank, others have their art. I'm not touching that for a few months, and hoping that MSFT will fix this issue so i don't have to go through my thousands of songs and throw the album art to each album individually...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3