I guess our market share is still not good enough.. YA THINK?

IceCrush

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't really post much on any forum, but I guess I will change that soon.
Being like many of you guys who made the jump from wp7 to wp8, I was so excited to see the new versions of my favourite apps, One of these was kik so like any geek out there I sent their support an email to ask them about any info about an update and I got this:

"Thanks for your message. Sorry for the late reply. We're always looking for ways to improve, and we really appreciate you taking the time to write us. We don't have any IMMEDIATE plans to build a Windows Phone 8 version - but you never know what the future may hold!
Thanks for your support, The Kik team"

For me that was like.. fine! no big deal i'll just manage myself, but another thing came up.. I found that new social network that my friends got on "Path" they said its available on smartphones only, so I opened the marketplace and... nothing..
Again, repeated the above and got this:

"Thanks so much for your inquiry about Path on Windows Phone. We'd love to have Path on as many platforms as possible over time. Windows Phone in particular is one that quite a FEW people have been emailing us about. I'm going to record your request into our system and we'll let you know if a version becomes available in the future."

So the question is.. are we really still there? nothing changed?

uberlaff

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Yep... we're really still there. As Windows Phone's numbers have grown, so has the overall market. I'm going through the same thing with Wunderlist. I love the desktop app for Win7 but can't find anything about an app for Windows Phone.

I'm hoping the numbers start picking up in 2013... but I feel like I've been saying that for a while now.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone marketshare is, right now, miniscule. Android has nearly 3/4ths, iOS has almost 15%, and the tiny remainder is split across a half dozen others. MS has like two percent penetration.

Technology is like fashion now. Just as fast as Apple came out of nowhere with the iPhone, they could go the way of Jordache. It's why everyone is watching rate of increase or decrease versus absolute numbers.

-E

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My only comment is this:

Windows Phone in particular is one that quite a FEW people have been emailing us about.

"Quite a few" is generally different than "a few". "Quite a few" generally means a fairly decent number, but not a giant number. Seeing "quite a few" actually gives me hope. :)

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Regarding Path specifically, a quote from an article this summer

Social-networking service Path is ramping up efforts to reach users of mobile devices. Dave Morin, Path’s chief executive officer, said the startup will release an app designed for Apple’s iPad this year. He said Path is likely to release an app next year for Microsoft phones, which run a newly revamped version of the company’s flagship mobile operating system.

So hopefully their plans haven't changed.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The last I heard (it's been a few months), I'm thinking the Windows Phone penetration was between 4 and 5 percent of the market. I'm thinking that was a mid-summer number, but don't recall for sure. So we're pretty small, but growing, but so is the overall market. Of course, getting into China on China Mobile (I think that was it) is going to be a good thing for us, because that's the largest carrier in the world, and Apple has failed to get onto that network. That will help us out. But it won't be an overnight thing. We have to be in this for the long haul.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind that even if WP were to get to 10% in the next 6 months, it will still take time for companies to actually create the apps. Of you gave WP 50% market share tomorrow, I guarantee that at this time next month we'd still have a lot of missing apps just because these things aren't made instantly.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I think we really need only about 25% market share and to be the third player for developers to start hopping with us. Developers look to make money, and android developers lose alot of profits to rooting, and iOS developers lose SOME profits to jail breaking. In order to even side load apps you need a developer account with windows phone and alot of people don't want to pay for that. We're a really good platform to make money on, less clutter more exposure, less side loading more buys.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Market share considerations are imbecilic when the numbers are this big.

Refusing to develop an app for Windows Phone is like refusing to sell your products in New York City, since "most Americans live elsewhere."

Incidentally, a lot of companies get this, and some (like Path and Kik) don't. For those who don't, they run the risk of being replaced.

When Yahoo! started sucking for search back in 2000, there were lots of people complaining there was no Yahoo app for Mac OS 9. A little company called "Google" came around and changed that.

When Quark refused to release a version of XPress for early versions of Windows, a little company called Aldus (now Adobe) released an app called "Pagemaker" that ran on Windows first (and then Mac), and took over the market.

If Instagram, Kik, and Path don't release apps due to initial market share concerns, someone else will, and you and the rest of the 3% will pressure friends to use the cross-platform stuff that works for us as well. And Instagram, Kik and Path will be as relevant as Quark in multimedia and Yahoo in search.

CoZmicShReddeR

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I been sticking it out ever since the first Windows Mobile 2003! Loved my Audiovox[FONT=arial, sans-serif] SMT5600 MS! :p I only purchased one Android Phone just to mess around with and loved it at first but then found myself never happy with how the screen looked or the battery performance... Now as far as Windows Phone 8 is concerned you have to consider Microsoft doesn't put all it's eggs in one basket or at least to me it seems they have a mobile division but they just didn't put a ton of effort in it as they did when they first launched back in 2003 and over time they lost the entire market to iPhone and Android... I think the Enterprise stuff is one of the best ploys to push the phones identity because a lot of people in business cannot use a phone that cannot work both for work and outside of work... Same with VPN and adding more ways to connect to networks and add networks... "Listen to Then People" is a great slogan for running a business! The group thing they added to the Windows Phones is amazing and I really love it!

As far as the IE in the mobile I think Microsoft should take a few lessons from Google... I love the sync aspect and think favorite mini tiles would be nice! Anyways just my two sense...
[/FONT]

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm going through the same thing with Wunderlist. I love the desktop app for Win7 but can't find anything about an app for Windows Phone.
Their CEO did an interview after the new release. Said with going native their apps for desktop, iOS and Android took priority. BB10 and WP8 are next.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital