The Real Issue with Podcasts

ncharlt

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Like anyone outside the US, I have zero podcast functionality. I briefly tried the iTunes sync solution (horror) but it was just too awful and still did not enable me to subscribe correctly.

I've been trying 3rd party apps - most of which are terrible. One that shows promise is Podcatcher and the author is very receptive and positive. However, even if this app achieves all its goals, it seems to me that there will always be insurmountable problem with third party apps. Let me explain using an experiment:

I dug out my old Optimus 7, started a podcast playing from the hub, pressed the back key all the way back to the start screen then fired up another app and started playing a video. On returning to the podcast part of the hub, it was clear (and several experiments confirm) that it had remembered where it was up to at the instant the video started playing, even though the podcast part of the app was not in the multitask app list at all. Now try the same experiment in WP8 with any third party app. As you press the back key tot exit the app and return to the start screen the podcast keeps playing. If you play something else and then return to the podcast app to try to carry on where you left off, it is not possible - it only seems to remember the playing point up until you exited the app, even though the podcast was still playing.

Sadly, my use-case means that I come across this problem very regularly and it ruins the experience completely (for me). It leads me to the following questions that someone may be able to help with:

1. Is it really only the built-in podcast app that can remember play-position even after the app is exited?
2. If 1 above is not the case, are there any developers out there that can suggest how to achieve the required behaviour?
3. If 1 above is in fact the case, the I really need to be use the main hub podcast utility. The problem, of course, is how to subscribe to podcasts there in the first place! My brief iTunes experiment showed that syncing podcasts placed some files in the podcast folder on the phone which I believe ended in ".ser". Whilst these displayed the podcasts in the hub app, there was clearly insufficient metadata in them to allow formal subscription from within the app. A possible solution would be a utility that produced these files for the podcasts to which you would like to subscribe. The user could then drop these into the phone's podcast folder, enter the hub podcast app and select the subscribe for each one. Does anyone know if this has been tried or investigated?

I cannot even begin to describe my frustration that such a perfectly-working feature was removed from WP8 since WP7. In fact, if you look at the podcast issue, the problems with music streaming and the fact that Bing Maps has been ruined (no more turn by turn etc), it strikes me that a new phone with WP7.8 on it might be the only way I can get full functionality returned. This is a sad and bizarre proposition to say the least :(

Regards

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I started a thread on this a few days ago and it only got one reply so either people haven't noticed or don't care. I agree it bugs the he'll out of me there is noting worse then turning on a podcast start doing some household chore and then realise this is the third time you have listened to this section.

dtresca

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I would love to see a solution to this. Bouncing around to all of the 3rd party apps has left me wanting. I'm shocked that no developers have solved this yet.

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
It could just be that there is nothing in WP8 to distinguish between a song and a podcast. In iTunes there is a specific option that asks you if you want your podcast to remember last playing position. I guess we have to wait for MS to implement this.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
You might check out the new podcatcher app. It is recently updated and so far, it seems promising though I have only been using it for a couple of days. I recently switched mine over from xbox music/wp marketplace, which I agree with all of the above posters has major problems in its functionality for podcasts. Not to mention that there are many podcasts that you just cannot get through the marketplace for whatever reason. From what I can tell, some of the negative reviews for Podcatcher were prior to the recent update, but I am not sure on that one.

Podcatcher | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Hopefully, this is a decent solution. Unlike the marketplace, if you cannot find a podcast through a keyword search, you can add it via the url.

This one also looks like it could be good, but I have not tried it.

Podcast Picker | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Last edited:

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Yeah Windows Phone is severely lacking when it comes to podcasts

Always losses your place and can't schedule downloads, no bueno

Have you ever used a Windows Phone? I use the Music hub on my WP to subscribe to many podcasts. I chose how many episode my device will download. I can even chose to download only over WIFI. During playback I can pause even completely close the produces when I restart it is exactly where I stopped at. When I have finished a podcast it is automatically deleted from my device.

ncharlt

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Have you ever used a Windows Phone? I use the Music hub on my WP to subscribe to many podcasts. I chose how many episode my device will download. I can even chose to download only over WIFI. During playback I can pause even completely close the produces when I restart it is exactly where I stopped at. When I have finished a podcast it is automatically deleted from my device.

You're correct re WP, but only in relation to WP7. I pointed this out in my original post. The problem is that in WP8, if you live outside the US, the entire system is now non-functional. We never had podcasts in the market place in WP7 (!?!) and now we have no functionality at all. It's an absolute disgrace :(

Biostud

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Just bought podcatcher and it does everything I need for a podcast app. Now wp8 should just disable the need to be connected to power when downloading a podcast on wi-fi.

asmith02

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
You might check out the new podcatcher app. It is recently updated and so far, it seems promising though I have only been using it for a couple of days. I recently switched mine over from xbox music/wp marketplace, which I agree with all of the above posters has major problems in its functionality for podcasts. Not to mention that there are many podcasts that you just cannot get through the marketplace for whatever reason. From what I can tell, some of the negative reviews for Podcatcher were prior to the recent update, but I am not sure on that one.

Podcatcher | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Hopefully, this is a decent solution. Unlike the marketplace, if you cannot find a podcast through a keyword search, you can add it via the url.

This one also looks like it could be good, but I have not tried it.

Podcast Picker | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
+1 for podcatcher - regular updates and promising app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon