Xbox Music: how to merge and save local and cloud files?

XBWillem

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi WPCentral,

Today my Lumia 920 arrived. I have the Xbox Music Pass since it launched in the Netherlands and downloaded quite some music through the service.

When I launched Xbox Music on the phone, it displayed all the music I own locally and all the music that's in the cloud. It's all shown as cloud music on the phone. When I try to download any song to my phone, it doesn't work. And when I copy songs from my laptop to the phone, both the cloud song and the saved song are displayed.

For now I have shut off the cloud music, but I'd like a solution for my issue. Any ideas?

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
And that, my friend , is the whole enchilada of what most people are b*thing about. And the lack of sync, playlist support. I can go on and on, but there is a lengthy thread started on the answers.Microsoft.com site entitled "master list of issues with Xbox music".

XBWillem

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Really? Didn't know that. So everyone is having this issue and there's nothing we can do about it?

For now, I just copy the music from the Xbox Music Pass folder in my Music folder, which works fine as well.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I can download from cloud storage just fine on 920. Only problem is I can only do it one song at a time. Sucks. I haven't found any way to download whole album/artist on phone. Tap and hold on song title and options appear to download. Antenna symbol means streaming only, not locally stored. Now if you have the cloud symbol, it is locally stored on device as well as synced to cloud. I'm in US so I don't know if certain options are not yet available elsewhere. Make sure the devices you are using are all listed on you account too.

XBWillem

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh right, I meant the antenna symbol. Haven't seen the cloud symbol yet.

And about downloading, you can actually activiate the 'selection mode' to select all songs in an album (yes, one by one, one album at a time) if you want to download all the songs.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh right, I meant the antenna symbol. Haven't seen the cloud symbol yet.

And about downloading, you can actually activiate the 'selection mode' to select all songs in an album (yes, one by one, one album at a time) if you want to download all the songs.

Thanks. Overlooked that. Can't see the forest for the trees. You said you haven't seen the cloud symbol? Not even on computer? Below I've listed an option for getting rid of duplicates. If you can't download from cloud to phone though, it won't work for your situation. I would make sure that all of your devices are listed on your Xbox account properly. Maybe remove your phone and add it again. Be careful. I think you can only remove and add so many devices a month. I don't know. It could also be a limitation of your location. I thought it was a US only thing right now. It may have limited functionality in the Netherlands. This might work for you and it might not.

I am going to try something to see if it will get rid of duplicates, or most of them anyway. I don't really know what is going to happen, but it should clear up the duplicate issue. If not I will have wasted even more time screwing with this clusterf. And it won't be fun but I plan on trying it sometime this weekend with a few Crown and Cokes for my sanity.

I think MS set this whole clusterf up for your Win8 computer to be the only place you load your purchased music. From there it syncs to your cloud and populates the rest of your devices. My Surface RT has the option to download any and all music from my cloud to device. And it did once I loaded up my Vaio with my purchased music. I hadn't actually loaded any music on Surface because I could never get the sd card index workaround to work properly. I watched it download over 2000 songs last night and another 1500 tonight. It really sucked because device has to be on and music app open to download. I have no duplicates on that device other than a few albums I was testing different scenarios with. Now there are still some screwed up albums but only a few and I don't think they are a sync issue. Most of them are explicit or edited versions and there may be something screwed up with Meta Data, I don't know. Between my RT and Vaio, Artist count is the same, album count is almost the same and song count isn't even close but I believe this is due to Edited or Explicit albums not coming thru to RT. Now this is all on my RT device, not my phone. Phone app is somewhat limited as far as info and options go.

My point, and what I am going to try this weekend. Delete all of my locally stored music off of my phone. Spot check to see that all of your music from computer syncs to cloud and syncs with phone. Download each album individually to phone. I know, I'm not looking forward to it. Then, if that works and all duplicates are cleared, find the cut up albums or explicit/edited duplicates. Find which ever albums are still screwed up basically and remove your locally stored copy from music folder. ****See note**** Copy it to another location that is not included in My Music. This is so you can keep it. Then just download those albums to phone from Xbox Music and with laptop and RT set up to auto download, they should populate from there. Simple huh. I know I'm missing something and if I wasn't OCD I wouldn't waste the time. It should work from what I've seen of how it is set up. I guess I should have picked up Win 8 laptop, then the RT and then the 920. I don't think any of this would have been a problem other than cut up albums which should be easy to deal with.

****You may have to delete off of your cloud as well. I haven't actually tried to do that, but I have read a few posts where people have. I'll find out what happens when I get there and see what needs to be done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750