Choosing a Windows Phone for a grown up.

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I need your opinions on whether I should buy a Nokia Lumia 620 or an HTC 8s (or even maybe a Huawei W1) for my father. He is complaining about his XPeria android phone and is leaning towards a windows phone since I show him my Lumia 920. The 8s and the Lumia 620 are about the same price in Europe, haven?t seen the W1 listed yet. He won?t need tons of apps, good pictures does matter let say, email, maps, office, exchange sync maybe, NFC would be welcome, a battery that can hold up whole day (14 hours with moderate/low usage) and it?s important to have a good screen like Nokia?s technology to cut down glare when reading outdoors.
It isn?t really urgent so I guess I could wait MWC maybe.

So what do you think is the best WP8 on the cheap side for a grown up with basic office needs and business travels?

Let?s convert one more to WP8!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I think the 620 with a black battery cover looks more "mature" than the 8S. The Huawei W1 isn't bad per-say but it's still a question mark for how much they're going to support Windows Phone and support their own lineup. Thus, my vote goes towards the black 920... I mean 620. :grin:

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Definitely go for the 620 over the 8S any day of the week. Purely on the basis of system storage. Straight out of the box the 8S gives the end user around 2 GB to play with and your expected to install all your apps and their associated data plus your map data to the system storage. Remember, we can't install any of this stuff to SD card. The 620 on the other hand is double that.

HTC Windows Phone 8S vs. Nokia Lumia 620 - GSMArena.com

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Any particular reason you've left out the 820 and 920? I think that both of these phones are more for what you're looking.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Any particular reason you've left out the 820 and 920? I think that both of these phones are more for what you're looking.

I'd imagine that it's because the OP has said he is looking for a phone on the cheap side and doesn't want to spend too much. My wife has got a 620 and apart from the actual size and lack of wireless charging there isn't a great deal of difference, performance wise, between hers and my 920. In fact, she has the advantage with the ability to use an SD card which I'm unable to.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm one of the "other" votes. I would recommend the Lumia 820 (or it's 810/822 derivative, depending on carrier).

ninny1176

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Nokia is more or less the flag carrier for Windows Phone - they have some great software and often have apps/features, etc. that other makers either won't get or will get at a much later time.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I voted "other" too as i'd also recommend he pick an 820, there isn't much difference in price between the 820 and 620, yet the 820 is future proof with 4G support. But if it was out of the 8S and 620 i'd pick the 620 as it has a more professional look over the 8S

620 vs 820 in specs format here: Nokia Lumia 820 vs. Nokia Lumia 620 - GSMArena.com

Only about ?150 difference which is quite a lot to pay for a few extra features that may not be needed.

Christian Sosa

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I do a lot of work on my computer, my last android phone was a mess, now I have a Windows Phone 822. My emails, contacts, call quality and volume have already impressed me. Skydrive onenote can be a bit complicated due to the number of notebooks I have 25GB in skydrive limit, office suite is a must. This phone simply works for me really good, I don't care much for having the hottest apps or whatever. Nokia Lumia 822 if that's not possible than Lumia 620

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I can just say the same, except for the display resolution, the 820 is a highend phone for me. And really, use it, the screen is awesome.
my choice, 820 if possible, otherwise 620. Nokia also does the most on software side.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I need your opinions on whether I should buy a Nokia Lumia 620 or an HTC 8s (or even maybe a Huawei W1) for my father. He is complaining about his XPeria android phone and is leaning towards a windows phone since I show him my Lumia 920. The 8s and the Lumia 620 are about the same price in Europe, haven?t seen the W1 listed yet. He won?t need tons of apps, good pictures does matter let say, email, maps, office, exchange sync maybe, NFC would be welcome, a battery that can hold up whole day (14 hours with moderate/low usage) and it?s important to have a good screen like Nokia?s technology to cut down glare when reading outdoors.
It isn?t really urgent so I guess I could wait MWC maybe.

So what do you think is the best WP8 on the cheap side for a grown up with basic office needs and business travels?

Let?s convert one more to WP8!
I'll go for the 620, has a front facing camera and can't beat the apps that may aid him.

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to all of you guys, I will consider the Lumia 820 too but around here the 820 is about the same as the HTC 8x so that's raises another question (I think there is a thread on that).

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Whoops... Now that I've read through the thread. Nokia 620 is the way to go. I would have recommended an 810, but that doesn't seem possible for a few reasons.

Also the 8xx Nokia line is a good deal different from the HTC. Screen resolution and removable storage being the most notable differences. I'd take the Nokia due to the nifty apps that Nokia offers out of the box on their phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon