GMail "as items arrive" NO LIVE TILE

bsetno

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I have recently tried to set up my gmail account to use activesync in order to have push notifications. This seems to work, and I can get "as items arrive" set up as a Google account or as an Exchange Activesync account (different icons). However, neither of these give me the option of pinning to start, SO ANNOYING! When I long press the icon in the side menu, the only options are pin to start and add to kid's corner, both of which are greyed out and therefore cannot press. One of the main points for me of push email is to get instant notifications etc, and this just seems bizarre. I can select "as items arrive," but is there a way I can get a live tile as well?

Also, just checking so that I don't use up all my data in a week, is "as items arrive" by exchange activesync true push, or is it just syncing a lot? I really want to conserve my data as much as possible. Thanks!

PS had my ATIV S for a week and a half, I love windows phone! All my android friends comment on how nice it is.

EDIT: Tried "as items arrive" for outlook account as well, this also now has no option to pin to start. Why on earth can't I have a pushed live tile?

Last edited:

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
If the "pin to start" is disabled, it typically means the icon is already on your home screen. I would suggest looking through your home screen to double-check. The name on the icon may be the name of the account you specified while setting it up. Hope this helps!

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I have recently tried to set up my gmail account to use activesync in order to have push notifications. This seems to work, and I can get "as items arrive" set up as a Google account or as an Exchange Activesync account (different icons). However, neither of these give me the option of pinning to start, SO ANNOYING! When I long press the icon in the side menu, the only options are pin to start and add to kid's corner, both of which are greyed out and therefore cannot press. One of the main points for me of push email is to get instant notifications etc, and this just seems bizarre. I can select "as items arrive," but is there a way I can get a live tile as well?

Also, just checking so that I don't use up all my data in a week, is "as items arrive" by exchange activesync true push, or is it just syncing a lot? I really want to conserve my data as much as possible. Thanks!

PS had my ATIV S for a week and a half, I love windows phone! All my android friends comment on how nice it is.

EDIT: Tried "as items arrive" for outlook account as well, this also now has no option to pin to start. Why on earth can't I have a pushed live tile?

how did you get 'as items arrive' on your gmail? i dont have that option on my phone (lumia 920)

bsetno

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
@rimlover I couldn't at first, but I went into settings, removed my google account, then re-added, this time syncing email, contacts and calendars, I got the option. Then I could simply un-tick contacts and calendars if I couldn't be bothered with them. This way, it's set up to use exchange activesync, I think, at least until it expires at the end of July. Alternatively, I also got it to work by adding my gmail as an exchange activesync account in the first place.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
@rimlover I couldn't at first, but I went into settings, removed my google account, then re-added, this time syncing email, contacts and calendars, I got the option. Then I could simply un-tick contacts and calendars if I couldn't be bothered with them. This way, it's set up to use exchange activesync, I think, at least until it expires at the end of July. Alternatively, I also got it to work by adding my gmail as an exchange activesync account in the first place.

i removed my gmail and re-added and still nothing. i can only choose the time increment in which it should update in. how did you add it as an exchange activesync? i cant seem to have that figured out. this really doesn't bother me all too much because @outlook is my main email address. thanks for the reply

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
When you add, ensure you sync contacts, calendar and email.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
When you add, ensure you sync contacts, calendar and email.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

i figured it out. because i got the phone past the jan 30th dead line, i had to add my gmail to my outlook account from the outlook website now it works. by the way if anyone wants step by step process on how to do it just message me. i might write a separate post later.

Last edited:

Slavisa Djokic

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
i figured it out. because i got the phone past the jan 30th dead line, i had to add my gmail to my outlook account from the outlook website now it works. by the way if anyone wants step by step process on how to do it just message me. i might write a separate post later.

Hi, can you please share how did you manage to setup gmail account to receive push "as items arrive". Thank you

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petazinta