What are LIVE tiles?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
What are live tiles? Mine used to be live. They used to update. Now, they don't. Yes they still flip around, and I guess that means they are "breathing", but nothing updates, No weather update, no Chronos Calendar updates, no WPCentral updates to any, what supposed to be a live tile. Nothing on my L920. All I can hope for now are well made apps but talk of a live tile is now meaningless.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Make sure your apps are allowed to run in the background. Go to settings, then applications, then background tasks. See if the apps say allowed or blocked. If they say blocked, then tap on each one and check to turn on the next time you open the app. Do this for each app you want live tiles implemented. Next, open each app, then close it. Third, make sure you have data or WiFi on. Live tiles require data or WiFi to work. Also, if these are location apps, make sure your location is turned on in settings. Lastly, if you do all of these (double check to make sure) and it still doesn't update (give it 30 minutes to activate) then unpin the tiles and repin them and do a soft reset. (Hold down power button for 10 seconds until phone cuts off and cuts on again). Hope this helps. :)

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Make sure your apps are allowed to run in the background. Go to settings, then applications, then background tasks. See if the apps say allowed or blocked. If they say blocked, then tap on each one and check to turn on the next time you open the app. Do this for each app you want live tiles implemented. Next, open each app, then close it. Third, make sure you have data or WiFi on. Live tiles require data or WiFi to work. Also, if these are location apps, make sure your location is turned on in settings. Lastly, if you do all of these (double check to make sure) and it still doesn't update (give it 30 minutes to activate) then unpin the tiles and repin them and do a soft reset. (Hold down power button for 10 seconds until phone cuts off and cuts on again). Hope this helps. :)

Tried all that even the soft reset. I keep thinking something I installed broke the live tile functionality. But a hard reset may be what I have to do. I hate it, but...

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully you don't just have battery saver still turned on? There is an option where you can have it ALWAYS on...so your emails will never auto load and the tiles will stop updating.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully you don't just have battery saver still turned on? There is an option where you can have it ALWAYS on...so your emails will never auto load and the tiles will stop updating.

I forgot about that...op pls make sure battery saver is off, but place on the charger. Wait about 30 min and see if the tiles update...

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Are you suggesting the battery saver may be doing this? Let me check that possibility. It is on BTW.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Are you suggesting the battery saver may be doing this? Let me check that possibility. It is on BTW.

Yes, that is exactly what Battery Saver DOES. It shuts down ALL the automated systems in your phone in order to conserve battery. It turns off the "check email every hour" and turns off all background tasks that any app might try to do (like all the Battery Apps that run and check your battery level).

Luigi Zarlenga

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I had this issue myself and noticed that my live tiles stop working EVERY time I do a soft reset. I just turn the phone off (regular way) and on, and everything then works fine. Maybe this is your case.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
How can you expect anything to be live if you deprive it of oxygen? Of course it will lay there lifeless and move when you kick it, but you gotta make sure there is constant oxygen to it to breathe and all that.

Disclaimer: I don't kill.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Ya battery saver stops all pushed updates like emails, live tiles, etc. Only native functions like texts, calls, calendar events are continued. In order to get other data with battery saver on you essentially have to request it on an app by app basis.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, that didn't make a difference as it turns out. I disabled battery saver and still no live tile updates. I'm back to my earlier contention that some app caused this mess. Besides, battery saver should only come into play once I reach 10 percent left. Not with a fully charged battery. You still rock. Just light rock. 😊

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Well, that didn't make a difference as it turns out. I disabled battery saver and still no live tile updates. I'm back to my earlier contention that some app caused this mess. Besides, battery saver should only come into play once I reach 10 percent left. Not with a fully charged battery. You still rock. Just light rock. 

That stinks...but 1 app shouldn't cause others to die...they shouldn't be connected like that unless it was hogging all the connection resources. Maybe it is all a connection issue tied to the 1308 update? Run the newest update (out today, as of 3 hrs ago), and see if that helps.

BUT
It is 20%, not 10%. There are 3 options for battery saver.

• Tap When battery is low if you want Battery Saver to conserve power when battery life goes below 20%.
  • Tap Now until next charge if you want Battery Saver to conserve power immediately, and then return to normal battery usage the next time you charge your phone.
  • Tap Always (not recommended) if you want Battery Saver to conserve power all the time.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
That stinks...but 1 app shouldn't cause others to die...they shouldn't be connected like that unless it was hogging all the connection resources. Maybe it is all a connection issue tied to the 1308 update? Run the newest update (out today, as of 3 hrs ago), and see if that helps.

BUT
It is 20%, not 10%. There are 3 options for battery saver.

• Tap When battery is low if you want Battery Saver to conserve power when battery life goes below 20%.
  • Tap Now until next charge if you want Battery Saver to conserve power immediately, and then return to normal battery usage the next time you charge your phone.
  • Tap Always (not recommended) if you want Battery Saver to conserve power all the time.

Right 20%. Thanks for the saver info. Anyway, I'm installing as we speak. I hope it tweaks my live tiles. Its like the apps are cut off from updating the tiles.

Question, if I end up doing a hard reset, my installed programs should download once I log into my account right? I think I saw this happen only once when I switched from the 900 to my L920.

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, do NOT waste your time doing a hard reset.

WP8 is so buggy that this will either not fix it, or the live tiles will work for a short period of time and then break again.

I bought an ATT 920 at launch, and the Live Tiles worked for maybe a month. After that, updates went away. In January, my 920 burned out it's own battery, requiring me to exchange this essentially brand-new phone for a refurb. Only benefit I got was that my Live Tiles worked again. However, that did not last long, and the Portico update broke my Live Tiles again. I have done ALL of the recommended "fixes", and none of them fix it - i.e. deleting the IE cache, disabling all background apps and then enabling the Live Tiles again. And I even tried the "fix" of uninstalling the Live Tile apps and reinstalling. NONE of these things fix the issue.

I have just about had it with WP8, and am almost ready to jump back to the iOS world (which is just as buggy and flaky, but at least has a huge app infrastructure). I really like WP8, but the basic functionality like Live Tiles, which are really one of the very few advantages it has over other OS's, simply DON'T WORK....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro