Mail not deleted right away

Looc

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I have come across a strange issue.
I have an email account set up on my wp8 to a mail server (Zimbra) using active sync.
If I delete or move a mail on the wp8 the phone will not send that command to the server until there is a new mail arriving or until I press reload in the mail-app.

If I look in the logfile on the mail server I can see that this is the case, nothing is sent from phone to server on delete or move.
If I do the same test with a iPhone the action is sent straight away.

If I connect to Hotmail the behaviour is the same as with zimbra.

Anyone know if this is expected and if it works the same connected to an real exchange server.

//B.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
This is the same as I've experienced on my last android phone. The phone will only communicate with the server so often (probably to save battery) so if you read or delete etc any messages then check your mail on another device without refreshing to sync your changes, it will look like you never changed anything.

Aaron Bateman

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
All email servers work this way. Exchange is no different. When you remove a bunch of mail into an archive for example, it will take a few minutes for the server to clear itself off. Nature of the beast.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The phone does this to preserve battery and data use. If you read/delete/move/etc a piece of mail on the phone, it won't send that status change to the server until the next time that it sends/receives mail. The overhead required to start the radios is one of the reasons that background tasks are limited, and run when the phone wants them to, rather than when the developer or user wants them to. The phone has times when the radios will be on anyway, so it schedules all of the uses of the radio for that time.

If it's important to you, you can tap the sync button and your email statuses will sync back to the server.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Designed that way - to save battery or whatever, although I got a feeling that iPhones push changes to server right away and still outlast my Lumia 920

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon