OS not optimized

killachandra

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, i was longing for a lumia since November and i just got a lumia 920 on Tuesday. Well i don't really care for the endless apps on ios and android so that's fine. The os is running smooth and fluid. My main concern is the battery which is totally not up the mark.

I know modern smartphones consumes a lot of power and i have used iPhone 4s and gs2 so they are also not gr8. But this is far below practical. I read that it takes 4-5 charge circles or 4-5 days which i have achieved still cant see any improvement. Playing a normal game, Royal revolt for a little while gets the phone to heat up like crazy. The discharge rate is also too high. I am huge windows fan and visit wpcentral daily. I helped get 4 of my friends a lumia. But now am myself having second thoughts.

I like the os overall and i know that it will take time but i feel MS is not that serious with getting small little improvements to the customers as fast as possible. They are waiting to release big revisions which takes a lot of time to test and integrate. The os seems to be a battery hog. I hate to say this but even with all the potential things are not materializing the way it should, with the windows kernel, dirextx and all why cant we achieve good battery back up. The store in India at least is filled with useless apps. Why aren't the big titles porting their apps to wp8 if its truly very simple process. I miss small basic features that even Symbian was filled with. Please don't tell me i have some battery issues as each and every 1 of my friend is suffering from it, and all have different lumia model. I doubt its nokia. Also screen is gr8. Camera is gr8. But with such poor battery back up i feel like returning this and getting an iPhone. Lumia is good, i just feel its not worth what i paid for on current stage...

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Most of us would tell you to haunt down updates because they improve things dramatically , Also most of us had your issues (AT FIRST) its kind of like a right of passage for #lumia920 to have bad battery performance at first and then an amazing one , (Mine lasts for a day and a half now ...!)
Another advice would be to ditch the autobrightness settings as its faulty and useless and go for a medium settings period its good and useful
Also disable sun light readability if you're not an outside kind of guy
If you don't use super sensitive touch switch it to normal , your finger nails will still work with it and you'll save batteries too.
If you have so many live tiles on your screen (More that 15) the updates will hinder the battery.
Disable background apps (if you don't need them ONLY)
and don't worry most of those issues will go away in a while just don't let the phone run very hot , if a game is heating up your phone too much , quit it reboot then try it again it may not do so , and if it did don't play with it for long (until you reach the 2 weeks barrier.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Hold on for a month, my Lumia 620 battery improved dramatically after using 1-2 months, :D . You will like the OS so much that you wont feel like going back to the boring IOS :) . If you are an app person, and require notification center(this is coming up in the next 8.1 update!!), then probably best idea to switch.

Note: if you are facing battery drain after using some apps, make sure you are closing them properly and if the service is still running in background or not releasing properly, its best to uninstall them. I already uninstalled Facebook and by not opening too much games, apps, battery is much better in terms of discharge rate. Also rebooting might be a good idea.

killachandra

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Dear nabkawe5, thanks for the tip bro, but i have already implemented your suggestions before hand and still not satisfied.

Also my friends have Lumia 800 and 520 for more than a month now and they too are not satisfied with the battery.... Currently my 920 is on OS version 8.0.10211.204. What is the latest version. Any other thoughts on battery

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
royal revolt has been reviewed here by WPCentral and is known as a HUGE battery drain. play it sparingly only when you have a charger with you and an easily accessible power source.
do everything mentioned above about background tasks and such.
have you try a soft reset?
have you try draining the battery completely and recharging it fully?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Turning it off and turning it back on. The best option for this is to turn off the device normally. However, you can alternatively hold down the power button for aprox. 10 seconds, and the phone will instantly turn off. The latter option is best used when your phone is completely frozen, as it doesn't allow the device to turn off properly. It's ok if only done in emergencies (such as frozen device), but done in excess can take its toll of the phone. The former is far more recommended.

killachandra

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
May be i should have waited for July to buy my phone but after a lot of thinking i decided to keep my 920. Hope ms will please all of with some performance improvement and optimizations.

Just don't feel if ms is putting all its weight behind the OS and its Store.

And now that i bought it, its very hard to be patient till end of the year for next version of windows

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon