search up old emails

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
How do I go about searching up really old emails (more than a month old) using WP with accounts set to sync manually only 7 days?

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so your just refreshing your email. Its really a refresh. You can connect to a WiFi network and refresh that way.

How much data do you have per month that your that concerned about it.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Go to sync settings in your email, from the drop down menu select " any time ". Then hit refresh.
That's really a bad idea and WILL download all past emails and use a lot of data. As mentioned above, server search works just fine as long as you use Exchange or Microsoft account.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
@rdubmu, I didn't see that option

Use the search button on mail app to search for what you looking for. It will search emails on your phone first. But at the end of the results, it will show a line 'Search more in xxxx'. Tap that line will perform server search.

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Have you considered CloudMagic?

Here's the app description:

“Really, really, really, fast” - TechCrunch
“Super fast search on super strong steroids” - Gizmodo

Put your mind at ease. Magically find anything when you need it the most. Lightning fast search across Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, SkyDrive, Dropbox, Evernote, Box and much more.

Quickly find things when you need it the most:
- that important email when a customer calls
- that spreadsheet on the way to your meeting
- that airline ticket at the airport check-in desk

One search box across all your data
- Search across Gmail, Google Apps, Yahoo, Hotmail, SkyDrive, Evernote, Dropbox, Box, Microsoft Exchange, Office 365, Google Docs, Google Calendar, Google Contacts, Google Chat, iCloud, AOL, Mail.com and GMX.

Multiple accounts
- Add any number of accounts and search through all of them in one go. Got more than one email account? Add both and search through them together.

One view of all your data
- Get a quick snapshot of all recent updates across all your data.

Rich previews and actions
- Allows you to quickly preview content and take common actions like open attachments, reply, forward, etc.

Partial word search
- You can find what you are looking for in just a few keystrokes.

Multiple devices
- Works across desktops, smartphones and tablets.

ivanflo

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Search and then when no results come up tap "search in hotmail" in my case and then all folders in my case and done. Its a very useful feature. Not sure it works with all types of accounts though.

Sent from my windows phone

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
so it looks like I can't search on Yahoo or Google mails.
this better not be a WP-only limitation or else it's pretty stupid.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
so it looks like I can't search on Yahoo or Google mails.
this better not be a WP-only limitation or else it's pretty stupid.

I tried this on a Lumia 820. A Gmail account was setup, initially syncing only email. I changed the setting to also sync contacts. Then it gave the option of "search more in Google Mail" which it didn't give earlier!

Unfortunately I couldn't find the setting for yahoo mail. So Gmail search works but not yahoo mail, in my experience.

Last edited:

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I tried this on a Lumia 820. A Gmail account was setup, initially syncing only email. I changed the setting to also sync contacts. Then it gave the option of "search more in Google Mail" which it didn't give earlier!

Unfortunately I couldn't find the setting for yahoo mail. So Gmail search works but not yahoo mail, in my experience.

Your trick with GMail may ends tomorrow because Google is slated to turn off ActiveSync tomorrow. Also, phones with GDR2 update already switched GMail to IMAP. Yahoo is IMAP as well. Search on mail server is an ActiveSync feature. I don't believe IMAP protocol supports that (I maybe wrong). Hence you will not see this on any IMAP or POP email accounts.

GMail server search will work on native GMail apps in Android or iOS. But there is no such official app for WP8. You can thank Google for it.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I thought that if you have your phone already setup as m.google.com the sync will work for any existing customers.

The best bet is to setup an outlook account, and setup gmail inside of outlook, then go to settings, and change your sent email from device to gmail since it is now an alias.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I thought that if you have your phone already setup as m.google.com the sync will work for any existing customers.

no, it is supposed to cut off for all (those without a paying business account) @7/31/13 but now it is extended to the end of the year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes