How Windows Phone could have sold even more in emerging markets.

rakeshrai

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Just by including one single feature. FM radio. For example FM radio is fairly new in India and it has taken off well. So if a prospective Lumia 520 customer goes to a mobile shop, he/she is more likely to purchase a handset that comes with one. FM radio has a lot advantages in the emerging world, you don't have to rely on the internet and radio is ubiquitous. Not everyone here can afford data plans and the 520 isn't really for the affluent. I know GDR2 is coming with FM radio update. My point is Microsoft could have at least released FM radio when 520 was launched. Seriously a wasted opportunity.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been using FM radio since 2002 in India :D. but I get your point. IMO any smartphone cannot be used well without internet.

bsbharath1987

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think a lot of local apps would really spur the growth.. Nokia is doing well in that direction. Another thing would be to get the banks to write apps

rakeshrai

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I've been using FM radio since 2002 in India :D. but I get your point. IMO any smartphone cannot be used well without internet.
The reason I said fairly new is because we had FM in the early 80's in Singapore. So it's a growing phenomena in India and should be fully capitalized by Microsoft and Nokia. I'm afraid they're still thinking on the lines of the first world where FM has taken a backseat to internet radio.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The reason I said fairly new is because we had FM in the early 80's in Singapore. So it's a growing phenomena in India and should be fully capitalized by Microsoft and Nokia. I'm afraid they're still thinking on the lines of the first world where FM has taken a backseat to internet radio.

I consider FM radio a dying technology in the US. None of my peers use FM radio at all! I haven't used it in years (except to listen to my local morning talk show)

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I was replying to the other guys comment about the US. I'm actually quite shocked that this is now growing in countries where smartphones, WiFi, and data plans already exist!

Yes. It is quite shocking how little so many people in the US know about conditions outside the US. I'm in Australia (which also isn't an emerging market) and FM radio on phones is still very popular here. We have a low population density outside our few major cities, so hi speed data coverage can be very patchy. I live in Sydney (Australia's largest city of around 4 million) and there are several major 3G blackspots on my commute to and from work, even though I'm well within the metro area. So internet radio is not really an effective option for me commuting by bus each day. I use FM instead (or I did until I bought a WP8 phone).

qudahamohammad

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I live in a developing country, Jordan, and people barely use FM on their mobile phones/mp3 players. They just turn the FM Radio on in the car to listen to talk shows and news, music is all downloaded.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes