08-13-2013 05:47 PM
88 1234
tools
    I was never a huge google user but I am phasing everything google that I do use out. Every time I use android I actually appreciate WP more. Alot of people like it, I guess I'm a lone wolf😁. Each to his/her own I guess.
    08-12-2013 05:58 PM
    I haven't even given it a thought. I think that WP8 is a perfect example of how one can survive quite well without any Google services.

The only Google service which I have is Youtube, via Metrotube, and I hardly use it because 99% of my YouTube use is on desktop.

Not missing gmail or google search. I've come to love bing, and am happy to have resurrected my old hotmail account since the Outlook.com launch.
    08-12-2013 06:02 PM
    when you get into wp you miss google less and less

nokia here maps + here drive
    outlook
    office
    yammer

what else do you need
    sumton likes this.
    08-12-2013 06:15 PM
    Google Services can Go ogle somebody else,

Bing it On

Youtube, but, I do not watch video over phone that is what the PC is for..
    08-12-2013 06:19 PM
    I don't like the android notifications, I don't like the Google implementation, I preffer the minimalist of tiles, I got notifications from what I want.
    DalekSnare likes this.
    08-12-2013 06:47 PM
    Google Drive ~Never used.
    Google Music ~ Never used.
    YouTube ~ Metrotube does a fantastic job.
    Google Maps ~ I'm not sure if I ever used Google Maps, to be honest, seeing as my first smartphone was a Lumia 900.
    Gmail ~ I've fallen in love with Outlook, especially the alias feature. I'm slowly but surely transferring all my online accounts to recognize Outlook as my email address, not Gmail.

Overall, don't miss Google at all. Granted, I hadn't invested myself in any ecosystem before I got my first smartphone, the Lumia 900. I kinda got invested in Apple's with my iPad, but that only apps. I did pick up a Gmail when all the kids said it was all the rage, it critiqued me for using Yahoo (I'm 15, if anyone's curious). Thus, I made it my main email and I've been using it for years, so getting every account to recognize my Outlook will be a chore, to say the least.

It basically seems that I'm siding with Microsoft in the ecosystem wars, and I must say, it's a nice one at that. It still has its kinks, such as Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 utilizing different app stores, and integration between all of Microsoft's products and services needs more development (I.E: my color theme being able to follow me from device to device, whether it be a Windows Phone, a Surface Tablet, an Xbox or laptop, I want all my customization and setting to follow me via the cloud). But Microsoft's offering is very robust and done well, and its increasing presence in Microsoft products makes it a great place to be if you're a Windows user.
    08-12-2013 07:13 PM
    How can anyone miss God-awful services with equally horrible looking apps? Combine that with a poor excuse for an OS (Android) and you get the upwardly mobile OS known as Windows Phone. Too bad we still can't attach a PDF as an email attachment, natively that is. Now that RIM/BlackBerry is in 4th place and sinking fast, MS really needs to put some focus on business users before Apple or Google picks up the scraps.
    08-12-2013 07:16 PM
    Too bad we still can't attach a PDF as an email attachment, natively that is.
    But you can attach pdf files. You can attach any file in windows phone as long as there is a program that opens that type of file. You will see it as a document in office hub and you can share it from there via email and thus have it as attachment. This is true for any kind of file for each you have a program that opens them because then they act as documents and appear in the office hub.
    08-12-2013 07:37 PM
    To me, the main advantage of WP is the UI, the smooth and simple navigation, and the integration of Microsoft services - and to be frank, the lack of Google integration is a plus to me personally (though I certainly understand why others would find it a negative). Which advantage does/did WP have for you that Android is now closing the gap on with subsequent updates?
    Smoothness gets better with each release, still not as good as WP but getting closer. When WP was released Android didn't have a notification centre like they do today, at least not as polished as far as I can remember. The entire OS feels more polished regardless of OEM then when WP first hit the market IMO.
    08-12-2013 07:50 PM
    The only thing I really miss is Google music. Especially now that they have the all pass play thing or whatever it's called. The library isn't as extensive as Xbox music I think, but it's nice that I can upload a huge chunk of my own catalogue as well as the all play google music flim flam thingy. I use gooroovster or whatever, which is nice when it works which is the majority of the time, but sometimes it just randomly crashes, plus I don't get the all play access.

I'd move to Xbox music, I had it before, but my wife and entire house is basically wired to google music, plus again, I can upload my own music to the cloud. If I could at least get an xbox music app on android (is there one?) I could more easily get over google music.

I have an Outlook.com account, and like how it works there, but don't feel I have all the options on my 928. Gmail has the nice new organizer, that outlook sort of does but I can't figure out how to use it on the phone the way it works on the computer.

still in the air about nokia drive+ vs gmaps. gmaps and navi was a slight bit more user friendly.

Given all of that, i'm still moving forward and trying to cut google out of my life. but I am sorry, sometimes google search really outperforms bing by a wide margin. at least for more complicated searches.
    08-12-2013 08:05 PM
    Before leaving Android for WP8 I was looking forward to the new features that GoogleNow was providing. Other than that, though, there is nothing I now miss about Android. In order to keep my grandfathered Zune / XBox Music Pass subscription I have to associate my primary WP account to one I had setup using a Gmail email address. That bothers me more than anything.
    08-12-2013 08:07 PM
    Smoothness gets better with each release, still not as good as WP but getting closer. When WP was released Android didn't have a notification centre like they do today, at least not as polished as far as I can remember. The entire OS feels more polished regardless of OEM then when WP first hit the market IMO.
    Actually my experience is that my Nexus 4 will run circles around a WP in pure speed. And yes, I had a 920. WP gives you the perception of speed with animation, but from the time of tapping to open app the Nexus 4 will win most of the time. I prefer WP's UI, but if I put as many apps on a WP as I have on my Nexus 4 I find it very inefficient. Beautiful yes, but way too much scrolling. In the app drawer you get about 10 apps showing per page on a WP, but 25 on an Android. Most WP fans mention the good looks, which I agree with, but to me it's not worth sacrificing the functionality. If I've got physical work to do I wear jeans, not a tuxedo.

I've always got a WP device (two right now) waiting until it gets to the point where I can ditch Android, but that hasn't happened yet.
    OzRob likes this.
    08-12-2013 08:08 PM
    Perception is all that matters in the end, If people perceive it to be smoother that's good enough. I think WP is actually more consistently smooth. The thing WP can be thankful for is the deep pockets of MS, which allow it to grow slowly and build an audience. People get bored and as long as MS stays in the game chances are good they will pick up people looking for a change , and budget conscious consumers looking for a good experience. WP fans should not be smug in thin\king WP has as big an advantage over Android in the UI department, as it once did when it first came out.
    tgp likes this.
    08-12-2013 08:57 PM
    But you can attach pdf files. You can attach any file in windows phone as long as there is a program that opens that type of file. You will see it as a document in office hub and you can share it from there via email and thus have it as attachment. This is true for any kind of file for each you have a program that opens them because then they act as documents and appear in the office hub.
    That's unacceptable. What you're describing is basically a one trick pony. Sharing a document, or any file for that matter, is not the same as attaching a file from your email client. No different than iOS where you can't attach files other than pictures. Outlook on Windows Mobile had the paper clip icon that launched a file manager of sorts, and you could attach as many files as you wanted from anywhere on your device, storage card or even a shared network drive. THAT'S what I need in a phone and it's shameful that a 6-7 year old OS can do it and not a brand new one.
    08-12-2013 09:16 PM
    In the app drawer you get about 10 apps showing per page on a WP, but 25 on an Android.
    You can have 24 apps on the home screen visible 100% w/ notifications/live tiles
    christenmartin likes this.
    08-12-2013 09:23 PM
    Nothing. The only reason I still have an active account is because of Youtube. I use MetroTube though which is a far superior app than the "once-was-official" one.

Everything google makes me uncomfortable now and knowing the fact they are heading the google glass direction makes it worst. I really wonder how many accidents they are going to cause.
    08-12-2013 09:59 PM
    If Nokia would do a better job on updating my local bus system in Transit I could get rid of Gmaps for good. :-(
    08-12-2013 11:04 PM
    Google is in bed with NSA so what's to miss?.
    JerseySal likes this.
    08-13-2013 01:12 AM
    I don't miss google services, because the only one i used was YouTube, even now i don't use MyTube that much.
    08-13-2013 01:16 AM
    In my country, Bing is terrible in every aspect and most features are not available. Google on the other hand offers everything they have in very high quality. So yes, initially I missed Google very much. After a few years with Windows Phone I have following solutions:

WebApps for Google Search. Could be better but it does the job. (The Russian switch search engine to Google trick doesn't work on my 8X.)
    gMaps Pro or GoogleMaps Client for maps, depending on what I want to do.
    Metrotube for Youtube, however I never use Youtube on my phone.

I don't use or need the other Google services, as I find Google quite scary. Nonetheless, there is just no comparable service for web search and maps in Switzerland.
    08-13-2013 01:52 AM
    I dont miss google search at all. For the past year, I've stuck to Bing on my WP. Four months ago I switched to Bing on my desktop and haven't looked back. :-)

I wish I could get rid of Gmail totally, but I have a lot of contacts who still email me on Gmail. But the change will happen soon.

I didn't use google maps much anyway, and Here maps does the job.

So, I don't miss Google services one bit :-) :-)
    08-13-2013 02:28 AM
    Google Talk integration would be quite nice, and I *think* I read somewhere that this was something Microsoft were planning to integrate into the web version of Outlook.com, so it may hit Windows Phones too.

Otherwise, I don't miss a thing - I have my Gmail set up in both the email app and with the great Ecomerc GMail app, I don't need Drive on my phone, 3rd party YouTube apps like mytube are superb, and I would keep using Here Maps even if Google Maps arrived.
    08-13-2013 02:42 AM
    Couldn't honestly care less about google services. I have skydrive, office and bing. I'm done.

Google image search is nice, but i wouldn't say its an issue on a phone
    08-13-2013 03:06 AM
    Not At all the only application I use on Google is a native YouTube App But there are a lot of alternatives like metrotube which is awesome
    08-13-2013 03:25 AM
    As long as I can access Youtube and gmail (that work well on WP8), I'm ok. And I have been thinking about dropping gmail entirely, but it would take same time to migrate all my emails. Google has nothing I depend on in the end. YouTube is working worse everyday, maybe because of ISPs throttling.

I've never used gmaps again since I got wp. Here is so much better.
    08-13-2013 06:49 AM
88 1234