"These apps are currently running in the background"

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Is this top section new? Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I don't recall ever seeing it before. BTW, it's not all open apps, as I had IE and twitter also listed in my quick switch view.
wp_ss_20130815_0001.jpg

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, 1020. I don't remember it on previous devices. I tweeted Tom Warren as well, he said "I'll have to check" and 20 minutes later the YouTube issue exploded again, so I'm sure he forgot about it.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I think this is where 3rd party apps like Active Fitness and Nokia Drive are listed if they are set to run in the background. They are actually working in the background, not tombstoned, or updating a live tile every 30 minutes.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
^^^ What he said. Not new. Apps that require continuous GPS tracking are actually running in the background and it is this way in old versions of WP8.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Is this top section new? Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I don't recall ever seeing it before. BTW, it's not all open apps, as I had IE and twitter also listed in my quick switch view.
View attachment 40146
"the apps in this list can continue to do things in the background, even when they're not open " :- active fitness uses your gps , mobile data, live tile update after very 20 minute -> amazing weather HD same the weather tile updates after every 20 minute or even lock screen update get update in this case , so its continuously running. mybatttery updates the battery status via live tile in 20 min. don't get confused these are just those apps which run the background without your permission for updating live tile. These are just filtered. hope you got my point.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Wow this is difficult.

My original question was asking if the section at the top was new. I've never seen it before. I know the concept of apps running in the background isn't new. What's new, to me at least, is the separate listings in the background tasks section of the settings menu. I'm not confused. I'm just asking if the separate sections is new.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Wow this is difficult.

My original question was asking if the section at the top was new. I've never seen it before. I know the concept of apps running in the background isn't new. What's new, to me at least, is the separate listings in the background tasks section of the settings menu. I'm not confused. I'm just asking if the separate sections is new.

lol yes I guess its new . saw this feature on gdr2 update by Microsoft.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
This is not new. My AT&T L920 GDR1 has this also. WP will show you all apps actually running in the background. Since most apps only run for seconds at a time, it might be hard to catch them but, for example, create a route and start navigation in Here Drive, don't back out of Drive but press start and go to your settings page > background tasks and you'll see that Here Drive is currently running in the background.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgiHudi