Never been a clearer difference between support and, well, HTC...

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a NL920 and an 8x and over the course of the last week have updated both to GDR2 and I gotta say, I can hardly tell the difference on the HTC 8X between GDR1 and GDR2 whereas on my 920 the difference is worlds apart. HTC is getting comparatively worse in all of their markets because they stopped supporting their devices like they used to. It's pretty sad to see them fail miserably as a company now but when you stop innovating and can't market your lack of innovation, you're quick to fall down the totem pole.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that GDR2 has not been much of an improvement for you on your HTC 8X. I've never owned, nor considered, HTC devices, since I've known people who had problems with their HTC Android devices. That's too bad you had bad luck with your HTC 8X. However, maybe you just got a lemon. There are a lot of people here on the forums that have trouble free 8X.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I've read the full change log over at AAWP and was simply blown away by how big of a change thus actually is.

So, be happy that you've gotten your update and think of the 52x/620/720 users out there who are still weeks away from getting it.
Besides, it could be a lot worse, right?

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that GDR2 has not been much of an improvement for you on your HTC 8X. I've never owned, nor considered, HTC devices, since I've known people who had problems with their HTC Android devices. That's too bad you had bad luck with your HTC 8X. However, maybe you just got a lemon. There are a lot of people here on the forums that have trouble free 8X.

I don't think he's talking about a actual problem with the phone. I think he's talking about the barely noticeable changes with the updates compared to Nokia.

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I've read the full change log over at AAWP and was simply blown away by how big of a change thus actually is.

So, be happy that you've gotten your update and think of the 52x/620/720 users out there who are still weeks away from getting it.
Besides, it could be a lot worse, right?

Well, You see... The changes are BIG when You read about them. From HTC user's point of view I can say that the only change in plus is the FM radio. That's it.
Except for this, I got a bunch of new problem with this update.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, You see... The changes are BIG when You read about them. From HTC user's point of view I can say that the only change in plus is the FM radio. That's it.
Except for this, I got a bunch of new problem with this update.
My point was, it could be a lot worse. The update could've been delayed, or as seen on many Android phones, never released.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I understand that in terms of importance it is on par with mango at best but when you put it beside a Nokia Windows Phone it just looks sad.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Keep in mind that HTCs budget isn't that big like that of Nokia's and they at least pushed the update and bundled it with a new firmware. The good news is that they have affirmed their commitment to WP and plan to release a WP variant of the one which is arguably the best Android device out right now.

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Interesting enough, Beats Audio is pulling away from HTC on the Android side. Also, the Facebook Phone (also an HTC) was a complete flop. HTC did a great job with the first few Android phones, but I fear their days are numbered on Android and WP.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Interesting enough, Beats Audio is pulling away from HTC on the Android side. Also, the Facebook Phone (also an HTC) was a complete flop. HTC did a great job with the first few Android phones, but I fear their days are numbered on Android and WP.

HTC brought smartphones to life as far as I'm concerned and they were phenomenal until they stopped innovation altogether...

Also, Windows Phone isn't a hardware battle so a One clone is moot if the support is subpar.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a NL920 and an 8x and over the course of the last week have updated both to GDR2 and I gotta say, I can hardly tell the difference on the HTC 8X between GDR1 and GDR2 whereas on my 920 the difference is worlds apart. HTC is getting comparatively worse in all of their markets because they stopped supporting their devices like they used to. It's pretty sad to see them fail miserably as a company now but when you stop innovating and can't market your lack of innovation, you're quick to fall down the totem pole.

What are you seeing as an improvement on the Nokia phone that you're not seeing on HTC? Just curious.

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
glance screen, color profiles, camera... I'm likely missing a few

So, the stuff that separates a Nokia from the rest of the pack... Samsung phones that are getting the GDR2 will look a lot like that HTC. It's not a "lack" of support from HTC this time, but a case of Nokia going above and beyond.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Not just in phone features, but also nokia apps. Nokia has a number of great apps developed in house. Can't say the same for HTC or samsung, this is why Nokia was a no brainer for me.

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
It's a shame too because IMO the few apps HTC did make were high-quality, excellent UI and content. Look at their Converter app for example.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk