Is there a difference between a "Windows Insider" Backup and a "Not a windows Insider" backup?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Is there a difference between a "Windows Insider" Backup and a "Not a windows Insider" backup?

The reason for this question stems from an app which I deem as essential. That being the now obsoleted "My media Center" on windows devices.

In 2015, I purchased the Lumia 640 which had windows 8.1 on it out of the box. Sometime in 2016 I became part of the Windows Insider's group to get Windows 10 mobile. Before getting the Windows 10 mobile install, I backed up my device like any responsible person. Did the install, which restored my desired settings from the windows 8.1 backup. Went happily along my way with my great 640 device.

Later on in the year of 2016, Ceton decides to cut ties with supporting the "My Media Center" on windows devices. :( No matter.. I still have the app on my 640 Windows 10 mobile device and my Dell venue pro tablet. Interestingly, I read that Microsoft has changed the windows 10 mobile backup format. My settings for backup are "automatic" for both devices.

Then Alcatel goes on sell at t-mobile. Wow, I'm in! I turn on the Alcatel and it asks me if I would like to restore from my windows 8.1 backup. I select yes. However my beloved "My Media Center" app is not restored.

On my 640 I continuously updated from the Insiders Preview Release ring,

Summing up, how is it that updating on the Preview Release ring keeps the "My Media Center" on the 640 device but restoring from a backup of the Preview Release ring does not keep the "My Media Center" app on my Alcatel device. Unless there is a difference between the backups. Can someone confirm?

Thanks for your time.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is there a difference between a "Windows Insider" Backup and a "Not a windows Insider" backup?

Unfortunately, I have had this too with other apps. It's because, as mentioned, it is no longer in the Store so there is nothing left to restore from your backup.

twos50

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is there a difference between a "Windows Insider" Backup and a "Not a windows Insider" backup?

Thanks for your comments. And I understand that the app is no longer available in the store. Also when I look in my list of apps I have downloaded in the "My Library" section of the store app, the app is no longer available.

However, when I "update" my lumia 640 phone on the Insider Preview Release stream the app is available/present in my list of apps. I was thinking it was because I had the app in my online (one drive) backup and I was under the impression that when an update is performed it restores your phone from a online backup.

If this is case, then app should be available when I chose to restore my Alcatel from the same backup because it was available in my online backup. However the app was NOT present/available. The differences being the backup being restored to a Insiders Preview released version as apposed to the backup being restored to an official released version. Other than the physical phones themselves.

There is another possible explanation in that when a phone is updated it doesn't restore from your online backup, it saves the data to a segment on your phone and restores from that. But I didn't think this was likely.

So once again, I'm not questioning why the app isn't available from the store or in "My Library". I'm trying to understand why the app is available to me under certain circumstances as apposed to other ones.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

Updates do not have to reinstall apps, they just update to update the OS in place. Resets have to download and reinstall apps

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124