Crashing of apps

poeli

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone, i already made a post about this in the 720 section of the forum, but I Guess other Lumia's can have the same problem. I bought a lumia 720 online (yes stupid i know) Seems it was an Asian version desetined for Hong Kong the seller sold me, so i have no warrantly in Europe. I thought i had, because the seller was from the UK and he did mention I have warrantly (but only if i send the phone back to him, not directly with Nokia). Now, the problems: I have to soft reset the phone at least 5 times a day because of the screen is just stuck. Apps keep crashing, just used whatsapp, had to start it 3 times because the phone always went back to the start screen. Just send a message and then back to the start screen. I did hard resets multiple times. Same with internet explorer, i start it and it opens and then i see 4 internet explorers next to each other, goes back to the start screen and i have to restart the internet explorer. Same with apps, using some apps, suddenly the complete phone blocks so i have to reset it.

I had my screen repaired (was broken), but this problem occured well before the broken screen. I did let it repair with Nokia itself, mentioned the problems but since the phone is out of repair it seems that the problems even got worse. It is so so so so frustrating to have this with a phone. I already paid for the repair costs, which is almost 50% of the price of a new 720. I would have had a 920 for the price I paid now for a 720, which is blocking and crashing all the time.

Has anyone had similar problems? I'm seriously considering putting it on ebay with the notice that it has software issues and going back to Android. Android may be laggy, but I've never never never expierenced such thing with Android. I don't want to pay another ?100 for repairs, I've paid enough for a phone that constantly blocks and fails.
You can say it's because an Asian phone. I don't care if it's a swahili phone or an Ukrainian. If this is the phone Nokia delivers in Asia it's going bankrupt.
On other websites I read something about a corrupt simcard, but I used my sim in another phone without any problems. To me it seems more to be blocking when its not connected to 3G and/or wifi. But it's not normal. I can't contact the seller because that's a nasty scammer.
I'm getting so pissed off by typing this. I feel like i've been scammed twice. Once by the seller, once by Nokia. Has anyone expierenced the same problems with WP8?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your device. Unfortunately, when one buys used devices from eBay sellers, there are no guarantees. Buyer beware really is true with anything purchased used from eBay.

poeli

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Well normally you have paypal buyer protection. But in this case, because the screen was broken paypal didn't rule for me. There are guarantees and warrantly from the manufacterer of the phone if you buy from ebay. As I bought from a UK seller I also thought the warrantly would be in Europe. But that doesn't matter anymore, I want to see the problem of the blocking solved.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No, I haven't experienced this.Sorry to hear you have problems because of a no warranty device. In the future make sure that you don't get scammed again in the first place , ebay is notorious for such things.

Nokia is so huge in India (Asia) that if they screw up it is even worse than other places since cheap Lumias sell a lot here. There will always be defective units that Nokia needs to replace or repair , It is slow but they did fix my friend's device for free here.

poeli

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry but I buy stuff all the time from ebay, phones, headphones, pc parts, and have never been scammed like this. Ebay is not known for stuff like this. The seller did give warrantly but only through himself and not through Nokia. If it's not in the ad it's impossible to know as a buyer. Let us focus on finding a solution to this problem and not on ebay please. It is not that he sold me a fake nokia or something, i got a genuine Lumia 720.
I did write Nokia an email again explaining the situation. It's weird though, i paid 121€ for the screen repair, and at first they said it would be only 83. So i thought they had found the problem for the blocking and had to repair some other part too and was willing to pay the extra for the repair. I hope they will take the phone back and repair it for free, i will not spend another €100 on this phone.
I can also order a new simcard for €5 from my provider, but i doubt that that will solve the blocking issue.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry but I buy stuff all the time from ebay, phones, headphones, pc parts, and have never been scammed like this. Ebay is not known for stuff like this. The seller did give warrantly but only through himself and not through Nokia. If it's not in the ad it's impossible to know as a buyer. Let us focus on finding a solution to this problem and not on ebay please. It is not that he sold me a fake nokia or something, i got a genuine Lumia 720.
I did write Nokia an email again explaining the situation. It's weird though, i paid 121€ for the screen repair, and at first they said it would be only 83. So i thought they had found the problem for the blocking and had to repair some other part too and was willing to pay the extra for the repair. I hope they will take the phone back and repair it for free, i will not spend another €100 on this phone.
I can also order a new simcard for €5 from my provider, but i doubt that that will solve the blocking issue.

Also write a mail to Stephen Elop, he does respond to quite a few queries as you might know. You should put forward your issue to him too.

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't mean to sound callous to your situation and I empathize with you. However, this has nothing to do with Nokia. When you order a product this way, you assume the risks that come with it. And, despite you saying, let's not focus on Ebay, I think that should be a big part of the focus. You don't have to have been scammed in the past, to get scammed this time. No one has been scammed until the first time.

Nokia may or may not help with your situation. Regardless, blaming Nokia and claiming to return back to Android, is a bit absurd. You just as easily could have faced a similar result ordering an Android, iPhone, Blackberry, etc. when purchasing this way.

If you feel that you have to change platforms, because of an issue created by a shifty seller, Ebay and yourself, by all means, do so. We hate seeing you leave the platform, especially for reasons which were out of Microsoft's and Nokia's control. I don't understand it and think that you should lay the blame on the proper doorstep, but it's your call to make.

I wish you luck in, hopefully, getting this resolved or with whatever phone/platform you choose in the future.

poeli

May 25, 2013
Visit site
It's not only ebay, I also clearly stated the problem when paying for the repair service of Nokia. It seems that they haven't addressed the issue ('for which I also paid it seems- standard screen repair was €40 cheaper than what I paid). I don't think Ebay is the one to blame. The seller is yes, and I won't buy phones again on ebay. What I meant on focusing on the problem is that complaining about how stupid I have been by buying a phone on ebay won't solve the problems and won't help any readers with the same problem neither. I bought a guinene phone which was meant for the market in Hong Kong. Even if so, after repair (for which I paid!) the problem still is not solved, i think it's fair to partially blame Nokia for this. They had to repair it- as i paid for i, they didn't so. They're also to blame for selling a faulty phone- which also happens with other brands of course. But if it happens and the buyer even pays for repair, the issue should be solved.
For all those who want to bash me for buying on ebay: I hereby swear I will never buy a phone again, because when I get scammed it seems to be my own fault and not the sellers. Jesus.
Now if anyone has faced the same issue with any phone (beware if you have bought it on ebay!) could you please tell me how it has been solved. Or any people from Hong Kong with a Lumia? (I hope this is not standard for the Lumia's sold in Hong Kong). Thanks for the replies, but please, telling me it is not smart to buy on ebay won't solve the problems of my phone.

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't bashing you for buying on Ebay, just pointing out that buying on Ebay was certainly part of the problem. Many of us have purchased from Ebay, myself included, so there's no reason to bash you for doing the same.

You stated that you had a broken screen repaired and, if I understand your post correctly, your screen was repaired. However, the problems that you mention, don't seem to be screen related, but either software or internal hardware related. A screen repair is not going to fix those issues. Also, if I understood your post, you mentioned the problems that you're having when you sent the phone in for repair? But, did you authorize them to fix those problems or just the screen? If you asked for all problems to be fixed than I think you'd have a claim to have the phone repaired again, at Nokia's expense. I'd call them and see what you can get accomplished.

poeli

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes I did authorize to fix everything, that's also why I paid more than only the screen repair. I mentioned that the screen needed to be repaired and that the phone always blocks and crashes (even before the broken screen). I clearly mentioned it and asked for it to be repaired too. I guess I even paid for it as I paid so much more then a standard screen repair. I know that a screen repair won't solve the issue, but I clearly stated the other problems. I even contacted Nokia Belgium through facebook and mentioned the problem, they guaranteed me that the screen will be replaced AND the blocking would be stopped. That's why I'm so frustrated, of course a faulty phone can happen with any brand, but paying for repair, getting the promise of repair by representatives and then seeing the problems are still the same or even worse is not a service in my opinion.
I wrote them an e-mail explaining the situation. I'm a loyal Nokia user and have always been one (even have shares). But I also expect a service when I pay for it. Buying a faulty phone or getting scammed on ebay and Nokia not addressing the issues for which I paid and which I clearly mentioned are two seperate issues in my opinion.

I will wait and see what the issue is. I read somewhere the simcard might be the problem, other people told me the micro sd card. But even if it's that, It's not normal that blocking occurs with the sim card or the micro sd.

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
It's not only ebay, I also clearly stated the problem when paying for the repair service of Nokia. It seems that they haven't addressed the issue ('for which I also paid it seems- standard screen repair was ?40 cheaper than what I paid). I don't think Ebay is the one to blame. The seller is yes, and I won't buy phones again on ebay. What I meant on focusing on the problem is that complaining about how stupid I have been by buying a phone on ebay won't solve the problems and won't help any readers with the same problem neither. I bought a guinene phone which was meant for the market in Hong Kong. Even if so, after repair (for which I paid!) the problem still is not solved, i think it's fair to partially blame Nokia for this. They had to repair it- as i paid for i, they didn't so. They're also to blame for selling a faulty phone- which also happens with other brands of course. But if it happens and the buyer even pays for repair, the issue should be solved.
For all those who want to bash me for buying on ebay: I hereby swear I will never buy a phone again, because when I get scammed it seems to be my own fault and not the sellers. Jesus.
Now if anyone has faced the same issue with any phone (beware if you have bought it on ebay!) could you please tell me how it has been solved. Or any people from Hong Kong with a Lumia? (I hope this is not standard for the Lumia's sold in Hong Kong). Thanks for the replies, but please, telling me it is not smart to buy on ebay won't solve the problems of my phone.

I think the solutions to your problem are, as I see them: Contact Nokia and see what you can accomplish directly with them; contact Ebay and see if they offer a solution or can motivate the seller to honor his warranty; take your medicine and pay for the repairs; take your medicine and buy a new phone (WP or other.)

poeli

May 25, 2013
Visit site
As mentioned above, i did contact them, I just wanted to see if any other people have the same issues and see how they solved them. I'm waiting for a reply of Nokia.

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes I did authorize to fix everything, that's also why I paid more than only the screen repair. I mentioned that the screen needed to be repaired and that the phone always blocks and crashes (even before the broken screen). I clearly mentioned it and asked for it to be repaired too. I guess I even paid for it as I paid so much more then a standard screen repair. I know that a screen repair won't solve the issue, but I clearly stated the other problems. I even contacted Nokia Belgium through facebook and mentioned the problem, they guaranteed me that the screen will be replaced AND the blocking would be stopped. That's why I'm so frustrated, of course a faulty phone can happen with any brand, but paying for repair, getting the promise of repair by representatives and then seeing the problems are still the same or even worse is not a service in my opinion.
I wrote them an e-mail explaining the situation. I'm a loyal Nokia user and have always been one (even have shares). But I also expect a service when I pay for it. Buying a faulty phone or getting scammed on ebay and Nokia not addressing the issues for which I paid and which I clearly mentioned are two seperate issues in my opinion.

I will wait and see what the issue is. I read somewhere the simcard might be the problem, other people told me the micro sd card. But even if it's that, It's not normal that blocking occurs with the sim card or the micro sd.

That being the case, I think you have a very legitimate and enforceable claim against Nokia. They warranty their work and if they didn't fulfill their obligation than it should be expected that they would honor the repair contract that you paid for. I'd hope it would be done without hassle, but if you have to go higher up in the Nokia food-chain to get it accomplished than that's what you'll have to do. I hope they contact you soon and honor their work.

mgkeath

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how long it takes for their complaint department to get back at you?

I wish that I could give you a definitive answer on that. If you feel like it's been long enough, keep contacting them until they respond and let them know that you would appreciate/expect a more timely response.

poeli

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I sent them an email last friday. I will wait untill thursday and then I will send a new one. Maybe the employees are pissed off at Elop ;)

poeli

May 25, 2013
Visit site
This is getting ridicilous. I wanted to email them again and now it says 'email support is not available right now, try again later', this is already like this for 3 days. The big Nokia fan of me is slowly but surely dying by the non-service I get from this brand.

poeli

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else expierence with the Nokia help desk line? They kept me on the phone for more than 10 minuts (€0,5 per minute!). I ordered a new sim card (another €5) to see if its surely not my simcard. They told me on the phone (because I can't email them of course, what a service), that they're not sure if they'll repair it for free and have to ask the department. So now I spend another €10 on this phone not knowing if Nokia will hold on to its promises and do what it should have done in the first place. I'm not wasting another € on this phone. Not to Nokia, not to sending it away for repair not to another sim. Not one euro more. This is by FAR the worst service I have ever received by a company. I always used to be a Nokia fan because European decency and service. But this story is becoming unbelievable. This is not a service. This is just ripoff of customers, keep them waiting on the phone line so they have to pay a lot, disable email support and certainly not repairing the phone how it's supposed to be done. Biggest disappointment ever.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss