Notification Centre in Windows Phone 8.. New Image... Enough info on the picture.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
File management system is a necessary just like bluetooth file transfer. Everyone doesn't have facilities of fast and cheap internet everywhere like US and some european countries.
I'm completely willing to cede my stance on a file manager if I see a compelling reason for it. There are three problems with assertions such as yours:

1. You fail to point out exactly why you need a file manager.
  2. You don't specify what your file manager will need. Do you want Windows Explorer, so you are able to poke around the system files on your phone? Because that's what some people are interpreting your request as, and that's why they are opposed to it. If you only need a small subset of that functionality, then convey that information!
  3. You haven't considered how your required functionality could be implemented, and whether a standard "file manager" approach could actually be the wrong way to go about it. For example, you might want to download arbitrary files, and either open them in certain apps or just keep them on the phone so they can be transferred to another device. Have you thought that perhaps that wouldn't require a full-blown file manager? All this particular example is asking for, after all, is an accessible downloads folder.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I've ever had an instance where I needed a file manager on my phone.

If I need to transfer large files I just use usb flash drives which are quite cheap and easier to just drag and drop things.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I spent 4 years in the Droid world and came to loath the abuse of the Notification Center. On my phones, the only services that got access to it was email, text, and the phone (VM, missed calls.) That was it. Anything more than that, it became much more a distraction than a help. Same with the iPhone - administer those at work.

Microsoft has it right, IMO. A Notifications Hub Tile I could get into, as well as the rumored notifications on Nokia's Glance. A hardware LED could be nice as well - Make the Windows Flag pulse.

Microsoft provided toggles/tiles would be a great add; and the inline response pictured previously I could see being pretty darn handy.

I personally don't want my phone - smart or not - to add to the distraction of the day. I do want it to be integrated into what I do, and available for what I need, but I don't need it as a three year old kid pulling on my pants leg all the time. I want it as a good friend that you can both be comfortable rocking out and raising cain or kicking back and being quiet doing nothing.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm completely willing to cede my stance on a file manager if I see a compelling reason for it. There are three problems with assertions such as yours:

1. You fail to point out exactly why you need a file manager.
  2. You don't specify what your file manager will need. Do you want Windows Explorer, so you are able to poke around the system files on your phone? Because that's what some people are interpreting your request as, and that's why they are opposed to it. If you only need a small subset of that functionality, then convey that information!
  3. You haven't considered how your required functionality could be implemented, and whether a standard "file manager" approach could actually be the wrong way to go about it. For example, you might want to download arbitrary files, and either open them in certain apps or just keep them on the phone so they can be transferred to another device. Have you thought that perhaps that wouldn't require a full-blown file manager? All this particular example is asking for, after all, is an accessible downloads folder.

May be you should check dedicated threads regarding this file management demand and also my stance. I clearly stated what I meant by a file management system. I want to access my personal files on my phone whether I downloaded them from any site or transfered it from any pc. I want to manipulate my personal files as I wish, renaming, copy, hide, transfer it via Bluetooth or wifi direct; anything possible on a smartphone. That's it. If such basic system isn't there, why should I buy WP ?? iPhone is a likely choice. But I want such things like I had in Symbian and I hoped Nokia could have pushed MS for this feature like Bluetooth transfer.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I think a notification center is overrated, to be honest. I almost never used it on my old Android phone, except the clear out notifications. I use it even less on my iPad and in fact, have set it so that most apps can't post to notifications. It gets to a point where it's just spam. If you let everything have its way you end up with long list of irrelevant updates with the few important ones lost in the shuffle. I can't say I've ever seen anyone sift through their notifications for some relevant update. Most people are just going to tap on the icon with the numbered badge. Why take the extra step of going to notifications first?

The notifications center in Windows Phone is your home screen. Any notifications I care enough about get a tile placed on the home screen. In the 10 months I've owned my phone there hasn't been a single instance where I felt the need for a notifications center.

Now, that said, I fully appreciate that people use their phones differently and that Windows Phone really does need a proper notification center. I'd rather give people a handful of sensible options as opposed to telling them there's only one way to do it. A notifications tile, however, is not the solution. I suppose it would allow people to replace multiple tiles with one, but it's really just redundant functionality that doesn't give anyone what they're looking for. However, we have no clue what those screenshots represent. It may very well be a placeholder, for testing stored notifications until they've developed a proper center that you swipe to access.

What I really want is a quick access center so that I don't have to go to settings for basic functionality. And I really want that damn rotation lock. To this day I can't comprehend how they overlooked that. But it's typical Microsoft, they come up with something awesome and somehow manage to overlook a few important details.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
A notifications tile, however, is not the solution. I suppose it would allow people to replace multiple tiles with one, but it's really just redundant functionality that doesn't give anyone what they're looking for.

I like your post, and agree with all of it, except for the part I quoted above. How can we be sure a notification tile isn't the solution? I don't think we can know without having ever seen it in action. I would actually argue the exact opposite, namely that the live tile approach is the only one that potentially introduces no redundancy (see below), while all others (that I'm aware of) introduce much more. I don't claim to know what the best solution is, but I'm pretty sure that ruling out the live tile approach is premature.

Just as you said, we already have a notification centre. The start screen. Adding a notification centre that mimics that of Android or iOS solves, to a large degree, the exact same problems the start screen already solves. That is a whole lot of redundancy right there. For the most part, an Android or iOS inspired notification centre does a whole lot more than specifically address the two notification related issues that WP currently has, which are:
  1. catching toast notifications that would otherwise disappear into never-never land
  2. catching tile notifications for apps that aren't pinned to the start screen.
A single tile that would catch and count both of the above would guarantee we always get all our notifications! That solution requires zero configuration effort on behalf of the user and introduces zero redundancy. I suppose MS could add some optional configurability to that solution if they wanted to, but those are the two basic requirements.

The UI stays lean and simple. It introduces zero redundancy, and it also doesn't change the current workflow. If you get a notification on WP, you press the start button and see all your notifications on the start screen, just as before, but now you would actually get all of them. If your notification tile has collected notifications from just a single app, it can take you straight to that app, just like any other live tile would. When you're done, pressing the back button will take you back to where you were.

It solves the actual problems. It doesn't add more UI complexity. It solves the problems without adding or changing any of the existing usage paradigms. Simple. Clean. Fast. To my mind that is quite elegant, not to mention that it wouldn't interfere with existing apps that already use gestures like "swipe down from top" themselves.

Just a thought.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I want to manipulate my personal files as I wish, renaming, copy, hide, transfer it via Bluetooth or wifi direct; anything possible on a smartphone.
I see you own a Nexus 4, which I consider in high esteem ? if it hadn't been out of stock for so long, I probably be using one today. But I think it's worth pointing out that you use an Android device and from that standpoint, you look at your lovely file explorer, which is powerful like the one on your PC, then scratch your head at Windows Phone. You do bring up valid criticisms, but I believe that both the Android / PC approach and the iOS / Windows Phone approach have it wrong. One thrusts too much at the user, the other snatches away almost all control and silos data.

The PC approach is too complicated. Sorry, but it's true. You and I appreciate the freedom and micro-manageability it gives us. Average Joe, he finds it to be a nightmare and his iPad is infinitely more lovable. The iPad may seem dumb, but dumb translates to user friendliness. It is absolutely where mainstream consumer computing should be going, instead of catering to self-important techie snobs like us who want feature X and Y for our specific needs. There was a period of time when the more technologically inclined were largely using the same devices as the average consumer. I think that time is passing, and that is for the better of users, and the industry as a whole. We may not like it, but we will probably always have more powerful alternatives to choose from, if we wish so. You're currently in luck ? Android has dominant market share.

For all I've said above, Microsoft has kinda convinced me that the smartphone doesn't have to do it all. My desktop and laptop are simply more usable and more powerful for those tasks. That isn't to say Microsoft has it right ? there is certainly much more it can and should do ? but the concept has sold me, and it's sold hundreds of millions in the iOS ecosystem. It's perfectly fine for you to expect each computing device you own to be performing to its maximum capability and feature set, but you have to understand that for others, a smartphone is a smartphone, which isn't a tablet, which isn't a desktop.

In all seriousness, sometimes we need to take a step back. I called us snobs before, and I meant it. "Goodness, your phone doesn't have a file manager and you like that ? are you a simpleton, a sheep, or worse?" sounds rather ridiculous in hindsight. And I don't think you come from a place of complete misunderstanding ? I bet you have experienced first-hand some of the benefits of ceding control in Google Now.

iboypx

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
WP8.1
Any Idea?
Source: WPV
vqhUI9T.png

Attachments

• 1236848_358086017655034_1278831454_n.jpg
    1236848_358086017655034_1278831454_n.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Don't forget the whole push ads into the Android Notification center fiasco. Google only recently slapped that down in the Play Store TOS - but they let it exist for how many years?

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
If this is to be believed the leaker should make a video of the features in action and send it privately to Daniel or one of the other editors in order to confirm. Screenshots can be faked pretty easily.

It's pretty easy to make videos these days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes