Who needs a lock screen?

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Seeing all the improvements that Nokia is making to it's Glance Screen, and considering all the information that is instantly available with live tiles, it seems to me that the traditional lock screen as we know it is superfluous, even cumbersome. How smooth would it be to have the Glance Screen on all the time, or in peek mode, and then double tap right to the home screen? What would we be missing? The clock, notifications, battery, all on the Glance Screen. Double tap and there is your calendar, messaging, email, and whatever other live tiles you have pinned. I guess we'd lose the almighty lock screen wallpaper; which, if you've read any of the online "polls" concerning customizability, you'd know that what makes Windows Phone score so low is you can't put a wallpaper behind all the live tiles.

Just thinking out loud...

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
but the most basic function of a lock screen is to prevent from random key press while the phone is in ur pocket !!

How would glance screen take care of it ?

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Don't you have to double tap to wake the phone up? The Glance Screen is the lock screen. I guess you could say that double tapping in your pocket accidentally is possible, but it seems incredibly unlikely. Like I said, just thinking out loud here.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Don't you have to double tap to wake the phone up? The Glance Screen is the lock screen. I guess you could say that double tapping in your pocket accidentally is possible, but it seems incredibly unlikely. Like I said, just thinking out loud here.

Actually, I think double tap is disabled by the proximity sensor, which would eliminate this problem. I could be wrong about that though.

One problem with doing away with the lockscreen is the weather apps. I love having the 12-hour forecast right there on the lockscreen. Plus I use Weatherflow, so I have it shuffling through my camera roll for the lockscreen background, which is a feature I'd miss a lot.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I think double tap is disabled by the proximity sensor, which would eliminate this problem. I could be wrong about that though.

One problem with doing away with the lockscreen is the weather apps. I love having the 12-hour forecast right there on the lockscreen. Plus I use Weatherflow, so I have it shuffling through my camera roll for the lockscreen background, which is a feature I'd miss a lot.

Yes, the proximity sensor does disable the double tap to wake.

And like you, I like the lockscreen with all the information except I use Lock Manager because I would rather have my calender items displayed.

Would putting all of this info on the Glance screen effectively then make it the Lock Screen?

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the proximity sensor does disable the double tap to wake.

And like you, I like the lockscreen with all the information except I use Lock Manager because I would rather have my calender items displayed.

Would putting all of this info on the Glance screen effectively then make it the Lock Screen?

Oh right, I forgot all about the calendar. In addition to my weather info, I use the default calendar app to display my appointments on my lockscreen. I don't know how ALL of this can be added to the Glance screen without it getting too ridiculous (and possibly battery destroying). I think adding simple notifications would be enough for me. I don't mind the one extra swipe it takes to get to the homescreen, but to each his/her own I guess.

Deutscher2

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
"Who needs a lock screen?" I need a Lock-Screen. It Looks nice and has some very useful Information on it.
Glance IS NOT a Lock-Screen.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
So right now, when you double tap, you see your lock screen with the info. Instead, you would double tap and see your home screen, which I assume has the same info? Right now the glance has the clock and notifications under it. Hit the lock screen, and you get the same clock, same notifications under it, and some additional info from possibly your calendar and weather app. Hit the home screen, and you have the same calendar and weather app info, or whatever other items you might have. Lots of duplicates. Again, just thinking out loud. I guess I'd like to disable the lockscreen as it's now becoming a second home screen, but with no interaction and duplicate information.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Also for people that want to LOCK the screen so other people can't get into your phone... Unless they merge lock screen functionality completely with the Glance screen.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
i did this on my nokia n9, edited a file, so that IF i double tap to wake, it takes me straight to home screen, but i retained the lock screen IF i use the power button to wake. nice to have both options

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Also for people that want to LOCK the screen so other people can't get into your phone... Unless they merge lock screen functionality completely with the Glance screen.

That's a good point. I have mine to pin lock after 30 minutes; I'd hate to lose that.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I like lock screens. I can add whatever photo I want as for it. I find it even more useful in the sense that it ensures my phone won't automatically be unlocked and random things pressed while it's in my purse, saving the battery in the process.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
At least the option in the future to disable the lock screen would be appreciated. I don't find it overly useful and would rather double-tap the Glance Screen straight to the Tiles.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
"Who needs a lock screen?"

How about those with non Nokia Windows Phones seeing as Glance is a feature on Nokia devices!!

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, first of all, you can't get the glance screen on all devices and second, I like the lock screen, it's go a really pretty picture of my dog.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I really want to not have a lock screen enabled. Just use on button press or double-tap the screen to go to the tiles rather than needing to also swipe up.

ptrkhh

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I agree, double-tapping and then sliding is pointless in my opinion.
I think, Nokia should copy the BB10 system instead: Swipe from the bottom to turn on AND unlock. Youre still allowed to see the lockscreen if you dont slide it far enough.
I hope the Microsoft acquisition will integrate the Glance more into the OS so that we can slide with the second tap (without lifting the finger) to directly unlock the screen.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I stopped using the double-tap because I had several times where it not only turned on but somehow held the start button long enough to make the sound it makes while waiting for a voice command. I PIN-lock my phone, so it wouldn't unlock the phone, but still, it was quite irritating to hear that sound out of the blue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2