Will we ever get a high spec WP8 phone with a 4 inch screen?

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I was on the fence when deciding to return to WP, it was between the 8X and L920. I went with the L920 mainly because of the exclusive apps and chassis build (which has served me well, ive dropped this thing enough times and it would be done for if it was a hand full of other phones). While i do like the 8X design and size, i find the bezel to still be unnecessarily large like the 920. Im really digging the 929, just 5" is too big...im really hoping they release a smaller version of it.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I was on the fence when deciding to return to WP, it was between the 8X and L920. I went with the L920 mainly because of the exclusive apps and chassis build (which has served me well, ive dropped this thing enough times and it would be done for if it was a hand full of other phones). While i do like the 8X design and size, i find the bezel to still be unnecessarily large like the 920. Im really digging the 929, just 5" is too big...im really hoping they release a smaller version of it.

I think they already did...look at the lumia 625 or lumia 820. (i think the specs should be very close)

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Low res screen. Older CPU,gpu.

Ain't all Nokias using old CPUs and GPUs. I mean I've never seen a snapdragon 400 on any Windows phone, no windows phone even needs it as games are optimized for 512 MB RAM.

Though wouldn't mind buying a Sony Z1S and install wp8 on it...some very impressive hardware and camera right there.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Lol have you looked at any camera reviews? 1020 is much better. You must be working for Sony. It would be cool if Sony started making Windows phones though.
Ain't all Nokias using old CPUs and GPUs. I mean I've never seen a snapdragon 400 on any Windows phone, no windows phone even needs it as games are optimized for 512 MB RAM.

Though wouldn't mind buying a Sony Z1S and install wp8 on it...some very impressive hardware and camera right there.

Lumia 8x

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
The only Windows Phones with 4 inch screen or less are the HTC 8S and the Lumia 620 (I think). I'm not a fan of screen any bigger than 4 inches. I love my 620 but I really want a high spec phone. Do you think there's any chance a phone of such sort will ever be available? Phone screens just keep getting bigger and bigger. I don't think it will ever happen. The only high end phone I can think of with a 4 inch screen is the iPhone. I'm hoping that Nokia will release something with a smaller screen with WP8.1, but it probably will be aimed at the low end of the market :(

Even apple abandoned 4 inch. What makes you to think others would do the same?

Divair

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
No, probably not. The market for such a small screen is tiny, and most of its users are those with a low budget, not those who actually want a small screen.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Ain't all Nokias using old CPUs and GPUs. I mean I've never seen a snapdragon 400 on any Windows phone
FYI, the Snapdragon 400 is worse than the MSM8960 that ships with the 820, 920, 1020, 8X and Ativ S.

The 625 & 1320 have the Snapdragon 400, and the 1520 has the Snapdragon 800.

pwaikon

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
To the OP: GOD I hope so! This is my #1 wish at the moment, nothing I want more from Windows Phone than 4" high end model <3 The reason why is that I have small hands that love phones sized like the Lumia 800 & Lumia 620 (width is about 60+ mm). My current Lumia 620 size wise is ok but speck wise no: I'm running out of internal memory, only have less than 1GB left of the 8GB available :( So now I need a WP that has minimum of 16GB memory, at the moment I'm eying Lumia 925 as my next phone IF Nokia doesn't come up with 4" high end model by the end of the year (pleeeeeaaaaaseeee?). If not, then I just have to get a 4.5" phone that is a bit too big for my small hands :/

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I think the main issue with making <4" top of the line devices is that they require massive batteries to last when running newer CPUs and HD screens, and thus the tech (battery and CPU optimization) needed will make the phone prohibitively expensive for such a relatively small market. Larger devices can fit these big batteries in much easier due to their size. Apple can get away with it on the iPhone because, well, it's the iPhone. But Nokia would be throwing money away by doing it.

IMO.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Apple can get away with it on the iPhone because, well, it's the iPhone. But Nokia would be throwing money away by doing it.

The Apple statement, i dont know if thats a positive or negative...im guessing a negative and if im correct that makes no sense since the iPhone battery life is onpar with the 920 i had. Why would Nokia be throwing money away?...They've made how many Lumia Windows 8 models and considering to make a high-end smaller phone to compete with Apple is hardly a throw away. Here in Canada our options are very limited in Lumia choice...either get a 520, good low spec phone, or a 1020, incredible camera but bulky compared to other flagship phones (not me saying this, others i've chatted with). An in-between device at 4", slim like the 925 would work with a lot of peoples standards.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The Apple statement, i dont know if thats a positive or negative...im guessing a negative and if im correct that makes no sense since the iPhone battery life is onpar with the 920 i had.

Not really a positive or a negative, just a fact. They create one new model every other year or so, it's highly profitable due to the arrangements with carriers and they can afford to put in the tech needed to make the battery work in such a small form factor.
Nokia doesn't have that luxury, and except for the iPhone no new high-end models of that size are really produced anymore. Even the iPhone users are clamoring for a bigger screen. Why would Nokia want to use their limited resources to venture into such a small segment of the market?

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
To the OP: GOD I hope so! This is my #1 wish at the moment, nothing I want more from Windows Phone than 4" high end model <3 The reason why is that I have small hands that love phones sized like the Lumia 800 & Lumia 620 (width is about 60+ mm). My current Lumia 620 size wise is ok but speck wise no: I'm running out of internal memory, only have less than 1GB left of the 8GB available :( So now I need a WP that has minimum of 16GB memory, at the moment I'm eying Lumia 925 as my next phone IF Nokia doesn't come up with 4" high end model by the end of the year (pleeeeeaaaaaseeee?). If not, then I just have to get a 4.5" phone that is a bit too big for my small hands :/

Why not get a memory card ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon