Android apps on WP

raccoon210

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Idk if ya'll are aware but in the latest leak of bb10 users can now download android apps straight from the browser which gives them many more apps. I would like to know what ya'll think? Do ya'll wish WP would do this? I know its not possible because we don't have an android runtime but hypothetically anyone interested?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
No, I'm not interested. The Android apps on BB10 do not run as well as the native BB apps.

I'm more interested in native apps that are fully optimized than buggy ports.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Idk if ya'll are aware but in the latest leak of bb10 users can now download android apps straight from the browser which gives them many more apps. I would like to know what ya'll think? Do ya'll wish WP would do this? I know its not possible because we don't have an android runtime but hypothetically anyone interested?

That'd basically require Microsoft to open up Windows Phone to the developers, potentially to an extent it may not be comfortable. I'd prefer it if Microsoft just opened up Windows Phone to the extent where really good apps could be developed in a relatively short amount of time and with ease (e.g. for VLC, among others).

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
That would be terrible. cause they wouldn't run well and would drain massive amounts of battery life. though outside it may be good for the short term effects but long term it isn't a very good idea. But WE ALL know that Microsoft always focuses on long term gains instead of short term. I'm all for long term stuff :). and ewww don't want android apps running on this beautiful Lumia 1020

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
NO
even if the apps are ported the WP will freeze them when we switch the apps.. so not Helpful to gain the power of APPS :(
the RunTime system will get attacked by Google as we have seen for Apps for google products from MS get rejections!!

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
More is better for sure that said. I don't like the look of most Android apps. The WP equivalent looks better. Six months to a year ago some Android apps had better functionality but WP apps are catching up some are even better. If we could load Android apps on WP I probably wouldn't use them.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I've suggested this here before and the idea was poorly received, to say the least.
Will be interesting to see how well it works - technically and commercially - on BB.

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
While I see the point of tapping into another ecosystems apps as being a quick gain in abilities, It would have the HUGE negative effect of developers NOT developing for WP8 as they'll only have to maintain 2 versions (android and ios), not three or four (wp and blackberry).
Look how many developers jumped at making "native" blackberry apps knowing that their existing android apps would work, even if they don't work quite as well in emulation.

It would be pretty cool to treat the phones like small pc's, where you can wipe it out, and install whatever OS you wanted to pay for.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
No interest here. Let Android keep their minefield of guessing which apps are OK and which are nothing but malware. I read an interview with a BB spokesperson and when asked that very question their answer was something to the effect of "Well the "Work" side of the OS would remain unaffected".

BB made that move out of desperation and at this point doesn't seem like they really care if your device gets hacked or not. Don't forget, if your WP gets hacked they also get to your email, skydrive, XBox Acct, etc.

One other item you didn't mention. BB will not have access to the official Google App Store. They will have to install apps from 3rd party sites which further puts BB users at risk.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the downloading android app thing would work, since it is quite laggy and stuff on BB. I wish all the companies could just make one unified app store, and they made money depending on what device the app was downloaded on, and maybe make different variations of each app for iOS, Android, WP, and blackberry. I know this would be a lot of work, but im pretty sure all phone consumers would be happy. Nobody would have any reason to not come to WP saying they do not having an app on WP anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon