Notification Center, VPN, Separate Volume Control..

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Oh snap! But just as I expected. Good news just the same. Now all I need is to figure out what WP 8.1 handset I want to replace my Lumia 920.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This is the most exciting part of that article: " In keeping with plans to update the video and music parts of Windows Phone more regularly, Microsoft is also separating out the built-in music hub in Windows Phone 8.1. Xbox Music and Xbox Video will ship as separate apps for 8.1"

YES! Would be nice to know that the Xbox media team can get us updates without having to incorporate that into system updates.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
YES !!!! :D Quick settings are comming that is the thing i wanted the most :). Separate volume controls are great to. Nice to hear for Xbox music to. I looks a bit outdated right now. All i need now is just a Windows logo working as notification light.

xchange

Banned
Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Great news for you guys! I'm an avid android user but I look at any improvements that will make a stronger 3rd option for people as a very good thing. I hope improvements like this will encourage stronger developer support for a healthier app store. If there's just one more thing I'd like to see added it would be wider carrier adoption for Nokia phones. Right now trying to get any Nokia WP where I live is a royal PITA

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I think its great. I thought it weird that many WP users said a notifications center is unnecessary, you'll see how useful it really is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

vakama94

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm very excited about the new phones with on-screen buttons. I guess I'll wait to get a handset running the new updated OS. I really wanted to give the HTC 8X a try.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

gfunk84

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Some weird things about that notification settings image:
  1. It's actually a screenshot instead of the actual "live" app.
  2. The icon glyphs are black instead of white (I hope they aren't planing to link the glyph color to the background color on the Start screen).
  3. Email+accounts grouped together instead of a separate setting for each email account and for "People", etc. I can see a definite use for independent notification settings per account.

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping the notification center would be unique and be accessed somehow other than a swipe from the top. But I guess MS must've chose this so it's familiar to people coming from other platforms. At the very least I hope they do the animation correctly: instead of the notification center covering the current screen (the way it does on Android/iOS) it should push the current screen down and out of the way (like the animation of swiping from the start screen to the app list). At least this way it'll seem a bit unique.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
My main concern about that image (if it's real, which it might very well not be) is that the 4 setting icons appear to be only shortcuts, since it says something about "access settings". It should be a direct toggle, otherwise we end up with the same situation where you have to leave the app you're using in order to, for example, turn off auto rotate. I'll be very disappointed if it's just shortcuts to access the settings rather than quick toggles, like we have with the volume control.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Any word about the active notifications? There was a leak earlier that showed if you get a text/facebook message/etc... you could reply to it without having to go to the app. You could drag the notification down and quick respond. I hope that's real too!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Don't know if it was patented but I used to love the notifications on my late, lamented Pre3. An unobtrusive message at the BOTTOM of the screen which could easily be swiped away. If the screen was off, the gesture area would glow intermittently to quietly alert you of a notification. Can't we at least get a blinking LED like the old Palm Treos?

Kubiubo

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Don't know if it was patented but I used to love the notifications on my late, lamented Pre3. An unobtrusive message at the BOTTOM of the screen which could easily be swiped away. If the screen was off, the gesture area would glow intermittently to quietly alert you of a notification. Can't we at least get a blinking LED like the old Palm Treos?

I agree! I miss my Palm Pixi. Not necessarily the state of the ecosystem, but specific parts (like the notification center) were really great at the time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes