Nokia HERE Maps now has ads?

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I was searching for an address here in St. Louis the other day and saw some ads at the top of my HERE Maps app. The ads only show up after I search for an address. I don't ever recall seeing this before. Have any of you seen this?

wp_ss_20140108_0002.png

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I was searching for an address here in St. Louis the other day and saw some ads at the top of my HERE Maps app. The ads only show up after I search for an address. I don't ever recall seeing this before. Have any of you seen this?

View attachment 54299

I tried searching for an address but didn't find any ad pop up on my screen...maybe its region specific ??!!

sent either from my Nokia Lumia 820 or HTC Desire HD

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Were you on a public wifi connection by any chance?
I connected at a McDonalds some time ago and had an advert show up for AT&T on an app that shouldn't have had ads on it.
I wonder what "Ads by CityGrid" means?

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Were you on a public wifi connection by any chance?
I connected at a McDonalds some time ago and had an advert show up for AT&T on an app that shouldn't have had ads on it.
I wonder what "Ads by CityGrid" means?

maybe city wifi ? maybe he was connected to the city wifi and he got that add by chance

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I believe that this is an advertisement of the POI on the right.
This one:
wp_ss_20140108_0002.png
I don't know for sure, but since the icon on the Ad and icon on the POI are the same, maybe they are related somehow.

Last edited:

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I was using my home WiFi, not city WiFi or T-Mobile 3G data. As noted in my signature I have a Lumia 620. To be specific, it's the unlocked Indonesian variant.

Krox, I think you're right. But I tried searching the same address just now and there's no ad this time. What the heck?!

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
The real question is how did CityGrid inject an ad into my HERE Maps app? There's no settings in HERE Maps to turn on or off ads, so how did it get there?

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Would be interested to know, from a privacy point of view, what on earth is going on here!

I have an unlocked 625 in the UK, not ever seen any ads...

So far.

haikus

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, this is Pino from the HERE team.
After rolling out advertisements (e.g. with Groupon) on here.com, we are introducing them on Windows Phone 8 apps too.
In the specific case of HERE Maps, we are displaying locally relevant ads in search results and nearby places. As krox1105 correctly pointed out, in this example the place 'Grossman Iron & Steel Co' is visible on the map and if you want to see what their offer is all about, you can click on the banner to open the browser.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
yeah, i'd like an option to disable that please or moved into city lens which is pretty much what that would be used for, would be great if maps, drive and transit had not ads
After rolling out advertisements (e.g. with Groupon) on here.com, we are introducing them on Windows Phone 8 apps too.
In the specific case of HERE Maps, we are displaying locally relevant ads in search results and nearby places. As krox1105 correctly pointed out, in this example the place 'Grossman Iron & Steel Co' is visible on the map and if you want to see what their offer is all about, you can click on the banner to open the browser.

FrostyCamel

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

I find this completely unacceptable, especially since Nokia has disabled Bing maps and has made HERE maps the default mapping app on all Lumias.

I paid right at $500 for this phone. I should NEVER have to see ANY adds on ANY default apps.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Regrettably, privacy is largely an illusion in today's computing, and particularly in mobile computing. Advertising is precisely what the web is about, and it's early in the game, and the App economy is all about advertising. E.g., Google, the dominant web force, generates more than $100 million per day in revenues, and virtually all of it comes from advertising. As for mapping specifically, check out an article that appeared in Saturday's New York Times entitled The Next Data Privacy Battle May Be Waged Inside Your Car. It is at the NYT Technology News page tonight. Here's a current link: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/11/b...aged-inside-your-car.html?ref=technology&_r=0

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leliawindler