01-19-2014 09:32 PM
114 1234 ...
tools
    I love Nokia's support and their hardware. But I am tired of them being the only maker of hardware for WP8. That's why I got an HTC 8X at launch and will probably avoid Nokia in the future. My next phone will be another Windows Phone OEM just because I want them to get my money as support for future hardware. Who's with me? Anyone else feel the same way?
    lol no. Nokia has brought Windows Phone to the mainstream. If Nokia weren't making Windows phones, HTC wouldn't bother.
    metalchick719 and amrut_m like this.
    01-13-2014 06:12 AM
    lol no. Nokia has brought Windows Phone to the mainstream. If Nokia weren't making Windows phones, HTC wouldn't bother.
    HTC and Samsung would still bother making them. They'll just end up stuffing them in some warehouse somewhere.

In particular, Samsung is still here largely because WP is still a threat to Tizen.
    metalchick719 and MSFTisMIA like this.
    01-13-2014 06:17 AM
    Sony is too tied to Android, as indicated from CES 2014 phone and camera releases, and other recent TVs and other products.
    Did Sony release any Android TVs or cameras? I would be very interested to see that but must have missed the announcements.

Windows is still the dominant OS everywhere, and W8 has to extend that.
    Not everywhere. Check out the numbers in this report:
    Android device shipments to top 1 billion this year -- Gartner | Mobile - CNET News
    Windows is the dominant OS for desktops and laptops, but nowhere else. 1.9 billion mobile phones (not all smart phones) are predicted to be sold this year, compared to fewer than 300 million desktop and laptop PCs.
    The world has changed.
    01-13-2014 07:30 AM
    I would rather have Microsoft build one or two phones per year that can can have the OS updated in a timely fashion than all this fragmented garbage that is happening now. You buy a Nexus you get updates, iphone, you get updates. Windows phone? umm... well....
    Wilsen Hernandez likes this.
    01-13-2014 07:32 AM
    I would rather have Microsoft build one or two phones per year that can can have the OS updated in a timely fashion than all this fragmented garbage that is happening now. You buy a Nexus you get updates, iphone, you get updates. Windows phone? umm... well....
    Yeah, I guess three updates last year doesn't hold a candle to what Google and Apple put out....
    neo158, Strangis and James8561 like this.
    01-13-2014 08:49 AM
    I don't really like Nokia's design. The sharp corners make their phones unpleasant to hold. My Titan II feels much better in hand because of its curved design. The problem with other OEMs that that once they release the hardware, they don't support it. I don't think I have received a single update since I bought this phone. If you want support right now, you go with Nokia. If you want ATT or Verizon to authorize firmware updates, you go with Nokia. If you want new apps released and exclusives, you go with Nokia.

Hopefully another company has some success and we have more options. If Sony is going to build a WP, I hope it goes all-out. Best hardware, exclusive software, attractive design. They probably wont build another one if it fails, so they may as well give it their all.
    Dadstar0410 likes this.
    01-13-2014 08:55 AM
    Yeah, I guess three updates last year doesn't hold a candle to what Google and Apple put out....
    Android 4.4 (KitKat) was released in November 2013 and it's had 2 updates already. iOS 7 was released in September 2013 and has had 4 updates so far. And as far as I know WP8 has had 2 official updates since its release in October 2012. And if you want to count updates to Android & iOS since WP8 was released, Android has had 8 updates and iOS has had 12 by my count.

So no, it doesn't hold a candle to what Google and Apple put out...
    Ivin Laney and FinancialP like this.
    01-13-2014 09:26 AM
    If anything, the developers program should help non-nokia owners.

As Samsung/Htc/etc do very little in the way of firmware updates, the dev prog will give you the phone updates almost the moment Microsoft releases them. Us Nokia owners then need to wait for Nokia to do their stuff on top of the official update, then get it out to carriers.

Maybe an OEM needs to do a cheap, carrier-free device, thats cheap enough to buy outright, and deliberately has no major firmware updates, so they can deliver the MS updates as quickly as possible, in a Nexus style.

Or Microsoft encourage the Nokia style of updates as apps, yet again, so that users can get the MS updates quicker, and the firmware fixes come as apps, rather than through the carrier.
    01-13-2014 10:30 AM
    Did Sony release any Android TVs or cameras? I would be very interested to see that but must have missed the announcements.
    Yes, Sony presented at least one Android phone and one camera with Android this year, and I don't think that either was a first. Qualification on TVs, btw, is that I may be thinking of google play-embedded TVs.
    Not everywhere. Check out the numbers in this report:
    Android device shipments to top 1 billion this year -- Gartner | Mobile - CNET News
    Windows is the dominant OS for desktops and laptops, but nowhere else. 1.9 billion mobile phones (not all smart phones) are predicted to be sold this year, compared to fewer than 300 million desktop and laptop PCs.
    The world has changed.
    Note: I did something wrong, evidently. The first part of my response is in the Quote section above.
    And yes, I did say Windows, and meant it in its limited sense. Still, this means the business sector -defined loosely- globally, and that is huge and meaningful. Android dominates the mobile sector, if to a lesser extent because of Apple's higher success there. Android being free since the beginning has been a major strategic advantage. The respective market share advantages are of such magnitude that they may be forever ones, even if competitors do manage gains.
    01-13-2014 10:39 AM
    Android 4.4 (KitKat) was released in November 2013 and it's had 2 updates already. iOS 7 was released in September 2013 and has had 4 updates so far. And as far as I know WP8 has had 2 official updates since its release in October 2012. And if you want to count updates to Android & iOS since WP8 was released, Android has had 8 updates and iOS has had 12 by my count.

So no, it doesn't hold a candle to what Google and Apple put out...
    I should have said three major updates....
    And your count of two for WP8 is wrong. It's three.

EDIT: And that doesn't even count the two minor updates that came after GDR3.
    Last edited by hopmedic; 01-13-2014 at 06:23 PM.
    01-13-2014 10:40 AM
    Some people only see what they want to see. And remind us of that in every post.
    01-13-2014 10:49 AM
    and watching people complain for months at a time how they didn't get theirs yet due to phone model and\or carrier is very entertaining.
    MSFTisMIA, snowmutt and FinancialP like this.
    01-13-2014 10:54 AM
    Yes, Sony presented at least one Android phone and one camera with Android this year, and I don't think that either was a first. Qualification on TVs, btw, is that I may be thinking of google play-embedded TVs.
    There were some announcements at CES of Android TVs with Google Play support, but as far as I know, not from Sony. If I missed something from Sony, it would be great if you could point me towards it!
    01-13-2014 10:55 AM
    Some people only see what they want to see. And remind us of that in every post.
    And some want to count every little bug fix as being as significant as what we've seen on WP8.

Example:
    iOS version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    7.0.1[edit]
    11A470a September 19, 2013; 3 months ago (2013-09-19) iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C onlyBug fixes

• Fixes a bug with the Touch ID sensor on the iPhone 5s.
    • Fixes a bug with the App Store purchases system.
    7.0.2[edit]
    11A501 1.00.06 P5CP5S September 26, 2013; 3 months ago (2013-09-26) Bug fixes
    • Fixes bugs that could allow someone to bypass the Lock screen passcode.

Features

• Reintroduces a Greek keyboard option for passcode entry.
    7.0.3[edit]
    11B511 1.02.02 P5C1.02.02 P5S 5.02.00 P5 October 22, 2013; 2 months ago (2013-10-22)

Bug fixes

• Updates lock screen to delay display of 'slide to unlock' when Touch ID is in use (iPhone 5s).
    • Fixes iMessage bugs where messages failed to send and iMessage failed to activate.
    • Improves system stability for iWork app.
    • Fixes accelerometer calibration issue.
    • Fixes a bug where Siri or VoiceOver used a lower voice.
    • Fixes bug that could allow someone to bypass the Lock screen passcode.
    • Enhances the Reduce Motion setting to minimize motion and animation. (but not separately from only turning off the parallax effect)
    • Fixes a bug that caused VoiceOver input to be too sensitive.
    • Fixes a bug that caused supervised devices to become unsupervised when updating software.

Features

• Adds iCloud Keychain for website login & Wi-Fi network passwords, credit/debit card management, and other account info.
    • Adds Password Generator in Safari for generating unique, hard-to-guess passwords.
    • Adds back web search and Wikipedia search in Spotlight.
    • Updates the bold text setting to change dial pad text.
    7.0.4[edit]
    11B554a November 14, 2013; 60 days ago (2013-11-14) Bug fixes:

• Bug fixes and improvements, including a fix for an issue that causes FaceTime calls to fail for some users .

01-13-2014 10:57 AM
    umm what about the isheeps (iPhone users ), apple is the only one who make these phones every year......aren't the users of getting bored of the same OEM(apple here ). rest, one should support nokia for their hard work they have done in previous year for supporting and rising windows phone.
    01-13-2014 10:57 AM
    If you look the situation on Android side, the situation is not that different. There is Samsung and everybody else.
    Yeah I mean look at who actually ships phones. Most of the Andriod middle and upper end is Samsung. If Android can't support a vibrant competitive field given it's size why would Windows Phone? There are two phablets for Windows Phone... both Nokia. I only see two phablets for Andriod... both Samsung. Andriod and Windows Phone are drifting to where Apple is. We will still have a variety of handsets but they will mostly all come from one company.
    01-13-2014 11:02 AM
    Yeah I mean look at who actually ships phones. Most of the Andriod middle and upper end is Samsung. If Android can't support a vibrant competitive field given it's size why would Windows Phone? There are two phablets for Windows Phone... both Nokia. I only see two phablets for Andriod... both Samsung. Andriod and Windows Phone are drifting to where Apple is. We will still have a variety of handsets but they will mostly all come from one company.
    Um HTC and Sony both have android phablets as well.
    01-13-2014 11:18 AM
    Has there been anything besides GDR1 and GDR2? GDR3 is not officially out yet. And so far the GDRs have been little more than bug fixes. GDR3 is more, but it's not out yet.
    01-13-2014 11:21 AM
    I'm sorry I disappointed you. Welcome to the WPCentral forums, where disappointment is only a page scroll away! Hahaha but seriously, that's what I'm saying. We need another manufacturer that makes people want to support them. Because not everyone wants a Nokia phone, believe it or not.
    We dont need another manufacturer. We need another manufacturer who cares enough to be amazing. Long before there was a Lumia, both HTC and Samsung had the potential to do with windows phone what Nokia is doing especially since Samsung is a titan beast when it comes to marketing and I actually do like their implementations on their android phones. I'm sure if they had talked with Microsoft they could have the same level of control that Nokia has a d probably more. They chose to release crap phones....with little support.

If I am not mistaken, wasn't HTC the preferred manufacturer in the windows phone 7 era? They essentially were doing what Nokia is doing now. Phones like the radar, titan, hd7, trophy, arrive etc etc and if I am not mistaken they were the first one to introduce a higher resolution camera on the titan. Again they had ample opportunity to do something worthwhile. They had a head start and winded up screwing up and look at them now. In almost two years they've released two windows phone...three if you count the 8xt as a separate phone.

I honestly wish Microsoft would take the apple approach and just start focusing on one model and updates and marketing like apple does for their products. The surface line could be a llot better and it already is better than most windows tablet but it feels like they are held back simply because Microsoft is appeasing their manufacturers. Same with windows phones. I would drop all the manufacturers and do whatever I can to buy the nokia name for smartphones and use that as my brand, instead of wasting time trying to appease these manufacturers who do nothing and then complain when they don't sale.
    01-13-2014 11:31 AM
    We dont need another manufacturer. We need another manufacturer who cares enough to be amazing. Long before there was a Lumia, both HTC and Samsung had the potential to do with windows phone what Nokia is doing especially since Samsung is a titan beast when it comes to marketing and I actually do like their implementations on their android phones. I'm sure if they had talked with Microsoft they could have the same level of control that Nokia has a d probably more. They chose to release crap phones....with little support.

If I am not mistaken, wasn't HTC the preferred manufacturer in the windows phone 7 era? They essentially were doing what Nokia is doing now. Phones like the radar, titan, hd7, trophy, arrive etc etc and if I am not mistaken they were the first one to introduce a higher resolution camera on the titan. Again they had ample opportunity to do something worthwhile. They had a head start and winded up screwing up and look at them now. In almost two years they've released two windows phone...three if you count the 8xt as a separate phone.

I honestly wish Microsoft would take the apple approach and just start focusing on one model and updates and marketing like apple does for their products. The surface line could be a llot better and it already is better than most windows tablet but it feels like they are held back simply because Microsoft is appeasing their manufacturers. Same with windows phones. I would drop all the manufacturers and do whatever I can to buy the nokia name for smartphones and use that as my brand, instead of wasting time trying to appease these manufacturers who do nothing and then complain when they don't sale.
    Where can I sign here? Perfect. Absolutely perfect!
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-13-2014 11:38 AM
    Has there been anything besides GDR1 and GDR2? GDR3 is not officially out yet. And so far the GDRs have been little more than bug fixes. GDR3 is more, but it's not out yet.
    GDR3 has been out officially pushed through carriers. I believe the first was Verizon, on the 8x, November 22.
    Verizon begins pushing Update 3 (GDR3) for HTC 8X Windows Phone | Windows Phone Central
    It has also been out on the 1520 and 1320, out of the box.
    It was pushed to the 1020 on ATT on December 19
    AT&T and Nokia release Lumia Black update for Lumia 1020; Lumia 1520 also gets new firmware | Windows Phone Central
    It was pushed to the 1020 and 925 worldwide last week
    Nokia begins global Lumia Black update roll out; kicks things off in China | Windows Phone Central

Also, there were two updates to GDR3 since it was released to Verizon's HTC 8x, that we received even if we were on the developer preview (which is an official channel and has the same build as those that were pushed through carriers).

How is that not official?

Additionally, you may think that these updates were little more than bug fixes, but that only demonstrates how little you know about what they do. Just off the top of my head, they added functionality that allowed Glance, 1080p, blocking calls, multi-core processors, and more. No, they didn't expose a lot of functionality for the user, but there was a lot that they do behind the scenes to allow improved hardware. But we knew that because Microsoft told us last spring that much of what was coming this year would be for improved hardware, not as much for users. They also said that next year (now this year) we'd see more user improvements.
    eric12341 likes this.
    01-13-2014 11:50 AM
    i don't get it , the main reason i have a WP is because of Nokia , without them i wont even bother on taking chances with WP8
    but things have changed and it's because of Nokia, i wont bother looking at other OEM's with WP8 :)
    Nogitsune Micah and James8561 like this.
    01-13-2014 11:55 AM
    GDR3 has been out officially pushed through carriers. I believe the first was Verizon, on the 8x, November 22.
    Verizon begins pushing Update 3 (GDR3) for HTC 8X Windows Phone | Windows Phone Central
    It has also been out on the 1520 and 1320, out of the box.
    It was pushed to the 1020 on ATT on December 19
    AT&T and Nokia release Lumia Black update for Lumia 1020; Lumia 1520 also gets new firmware | Windows Phone Central
    It was pushed to the 1020 and 925 worldwide last week
    Nokia begins global Lumia Black update roll out; kicks things off in China | Windows Phone Central

Also, there were two updates to GDR3 since it was released to Verizon's HTC 8x, that we received even if we were on the developer preview (which is an official channel and has the same build as those that were pushed through carriers).

How is that not official?
    Yes, you're correct. But it hasn't arrived yet on either of my two WPs.

But either way, I still think it's a bit presumptuous to say that WP's updates are are coming as fast or faster than the competitions'. Besides, WP has some catching up to do, so they should be pushing out updates with added features even faster. So far, they aren't.

I'm excited to see what 8.1 brings. But there again, it'll probably be released late summer/autumn, not long before iOS 8 and Android 5.0 are released. One step forward, then the competitors take one step forward. The gap will remain.
    01-13-2014 11:58 AM
    Personally, choice is better within the ecosystem. I'd rather not have MSFT take the Apple approach because for them to do so, they would have to have the infrastructure fully in place to do what Apple does best - offer a premium system wide experience. They are A LONG WAYS from that.

I looked to WP as the future when I came on board, where I can transfer one experience from one device to the next. MSFT isn't there yet, where my Xbox, WP, tablet and PC are really integrated. That's what I want to see. I mention that because it plays into the growth of WP.

What Apple does is that it uses its hardware and OS to fulfill one goal: have users consumer content, and be able get profits from doing so. MSFT isn't there yet, because Skype, Xbox, Office, and its other singular good services don't talk to each other well.

Why does that matter? Sony went to Android because that allows them to push the PS interests and ecosystem easier. Samsung figured out you need to sell more than just phones to compete with Apple, you need an ecosystem alternative.

So MSFT buys Nokia as it is the best and most easily brand out there. Smart move. But that will take take to integrate, just as it took time for them to fix the other problems in the OS.

To me, MSFT hasn't offered anything to other OEMs to make the OS attractive. At least with Android, an OEM can design hardware, skin it, and take their chances. Yes, HTC was the preferred partner in WP7, but the software didn't help matters in terms of giving them an opportunity to make money. Why do you think there is a Nokia Mix Radio service? Content for consumers, means they get more money from you. The phone is a one time purchase, content is multiple purchases.

Personally, each OEM should pick one or two features, build a complimentary system around that on top of the OS and it gives users a choice. I own both a 8X and a 920. If HTC decided that audio was going to be their thing, added better audio tech (assuming WP8 now can fully support it), build audio specific accessories, get exclusive content, and still put a dent camera into good design, they can get customers like the OP. Nokia's audio on WP isn't good, so that's an opportunity there. If Nokia continues to push mapping and imaging tech, they will always be the best game in town, even after MSFT absorbs them.

So I rather 2-3 OEMs pitching their unique reasons to buy their handset by still get that universal experience. More importantly, I'd rather the OS itself be mature and really make the choice about hardware preference than anything else.
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-13-2014 12:14 PM
    Personally, choice is better within the ecosystem. I'd rather not have MSFT take the Apple approach because for them to do so, they would have to have the infrastructure fully in place to do what Apple does best - offer a premium system wide experience. They are A LONG WAYS from that.

I looked to WP as the future when I came on board, where I can transfer one experience from one device to the next. MSFT isn't there yet, where my Xbox, WP, tablet and PC are really integrated. That's what I want to see. I mention that because it plays into the growth of WP.

What Apple does is that it uses its hardware and OS to fulfill one goal: have users consumer content, and be able get profits from doing so. MSFT isn't there yet, because Skype, Xbox, Office, and its other singular good services don't talk to each other well.

Why does that matter? Sony went to Android because that allows them to push the PS interests and ecosystem easier. Samsung figured out you need to sell more than just phones to compete with Apple, you need an ecosystem alternative.

So MSFT buys Nokia as it is the best and most easily brand out there. Smart move. But that will take take to integrate, just as it took time for them to fix the other problems in the OS.

To me, MSFT hasn't offered anything to other OEMs to make the OS attractive. At least with Android, an OEM can design hardware, skin it, and take their chances. Yes, HTC was the preferred partner in WP7, but the software didn't help matters in terms of giving them an opportunity to make money. Why do you think there is a Nokia Mix Radio service? Content for consumers, means they get more money from you. The phone is a one time purchase, content is multiple purchases.

Personally, each OEM should pick one or two features, build a complimentary system around that on top of the OS and it gives users a choice. I own both a 8X and a 920. If HTC decided that audio was going to be their thing, added better audio tech (assuming WP8 now can fully support it), build audio specific accessories, get exclusive content, and still put a dent camera into good design, they can get customers like the OP. Nokia's audio on WP isn't good, so that's an opportunity there. If Nokia continues to push mapping and imaging tech, they will always be the best game in town, even after MSFT absorbs them.

So I rather 2-3 OEMs pitching their unique reasons to buy their handset by still get that universal experience. More importantly, I'd rather the OS itself be mature and really make the choice about hardware preference than anything else.
    But i don't want to choose between 2 or 3 different half arsed phones. Is it too much to ask to have them make a quality device as in the top fruit or green guy flagships? More isn't better, better is better. Sometimes i feel as though Nokia had people who had ADHD (no harm meant to those with it, i take my meds).
    01-13-2014 12:27 PM
114 1234 ...