Outlook and Hotmail

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Got a few question, I remember a few months after creating a Microsoft account (@hotmail.com), I received a message about Outlook and being able to change my email account to @outlook.com instead of @hotmail.com, or both. I didn't do it as I had my @hotmail.com tied to Facebook and therefore thought that would cause login problems at a later stage, now that I have a WP, I thought of changing to outlook. I know hotmail is outlook but just....

Anyway, a few questions that help me during the process,

1. How do I change my email account to @outlook.com but also keep the @hotmail.com alias, that is how do I use @outlook.com and @hotmail.com that links to a single email account. Suppose my current id is xyz@hotmail.com. How do I make it to xyz@outlook.com? And when someone sends a mail to either of them, they just come to a single account.

I tell all this as I am darn sure that it was possible to add @outlook.com alias to your @hotmail.com alias, but it basically remained the same account.

2. And after doing that, I would like to change the email id of all the services on the internet (Facebook, amazon, steam, etc) to the outlook.com. Assuming those services support changing the primary email address, can I do it?

3. Next up, I have registered my WP with the @hotmail.com account, and therefore my email tile shows the hotmail icon instead of outlook icon (refer to email+accounts in settings for icons). In the email+accounts, it says Microsoft acccount is used to sync my device, but in the app list in start screen, it shows the hotmail icon, not the outlook icon. That's what I am saying. Sure I can use the same id to login to outlook, but the hotmail account would still remain and would therefore eat extra battery.

thanks

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
1. You can change it in settings. :) You hotmail email alias can still be your log in for facebook. Also you can log into outlook.com with your hotmail.com alias after you make the switch if you do the change to an outlook.com account, you will have to do a hard reset to get your account to work. Your app store will no longer work until you do a master reset and log in with your outlook.com during the setup process.
2. yes you can do this, or keep it.
3. You will have to do a hard reset if you change it. There is no other way around this.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
1) I don't think it will let you have @outlook.com as your alias for Hotmail. It may work the other way round.
2) May be all other services will let you swap or whatever - BUT you will have issues with your WP messenger app. It doesn't recognize alias that well and you may end up appearing offline to your contacts - known issue.
3) Also, don't know how your store purchases will work with aliases. Logic dictates they shouldn't change and should work whatever alias you sign with, but I don't know.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a Hotmail account from the first couple months that Hotmail came into existence. I also have an Outlook alias tied to that account. So you can add an Outlook alias to Hotmail. I don't use the alias for anything other than to reserve it in case I wanted to ditch Hotmail down the road.

For number three, I don't have any idea how the phone will react if you sign into an alias rather than the primary. As stated above, logic would dictate that it should work, but this is Microsoft we're talking about. There are lots of things that don't seem to be bound by the laws of logic. :wink:

Suggestion - rather than reset your phone to find out, why not add the alias, unpin the Hotmail email and add and pin the Outlook alias? Having not used my alias, I don't think they'll act as separate accounts, but I could be wrong. Seems to me, though, that this would be the least invasive way to try to get what you're looking for.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If you want to use the alias as your email on your phone the only way to send mail from the alias is to change the setting on outlook.com "from device" then all email would be sent from your windows phone would be from your alias. Your primary account email will not work

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon